Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

SUV Hit 5 Children: 0 Summonses; Bicycle Hit Nicole Kidman: 3 Summonses

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-13, 01:51 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts

"According to Newsday, the cyclist was issued three summonses: one for riding a bicycle on a sidewalk (which is justified), another for riding without a helmet (which is not), and a third for reckless endangerment.

Seeing how hard the NYPD came down on the cyclist, you’d expect they’d throw the book at the SUV driver. But it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen. Why not? Because running down five children on a sidewalk is evidently legal in New York City, and, as Council Member Elizabeth Crowley sees it, this was just an accident."

Read the full article:
https://blog.tstc.org/2013/09/13/driv...n-3-summonses/
Old 09-13-13, 02:40 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
While I agree with your general angst regarding the disparity between enforcement over cycling offenses verses enforcement over automobile offenses... and soundly disagree with the "it was just an accident" mentality... apparently the cyclist was something of a known paparazzo who tends to do this bike crash thing to celebrities.

None the less... It does make one wonder, eh?
Old 09-13-13, 02:47 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I just posted on the Helmet thread about this. From the video, midway into it, what I hear is:

"NYPD told us that the ...[cyclist] was ultimately given 3 summons: reckless driving, riding a bicycle on the sidewalk, and riding without a helmet".

The bold-faced parts puzzle me.
Old 09-13-13, 02:49 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I'm a little bit confused about your confusion:

In one case a cyclist completely ignored the law, and common sense, and knowingly rode in an illegal, deliberately dangerous manner. I don't know if there is a law regarding helmet use, but, if there is, I'm happy to see it piled on.

The other is someone who made an unintentional mistake while attempting to operate a vehicle legally.

Once again, we have unrealistic ideologues who refuse to accept that gump happens and that everyone is capable of a driving error. They refuse to understand or accept that accidents are an understood, and accepted form of collateral damage. Had the SUV DELIBERATELY ridden on the sidewalk as part of its normal operation, there would be summonses. Apples to mangoes. I also like how the comparison is being formed based on a few blurbs about each incident.

So yes - there is more forgiveness for a mistake than there is for deliberate, repeated, illegal action. The punishment is not based on the outcome alone, but on the action. I think anyone who has interactions with urban sidewalk cyclists is glad to see the schmuck ticketed.
Old 09-13-13, 03:01 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
IMHO this is a stupid inflammtory argument that does nothing to furtheradvocacy and probably hurts it.

First and formost it was a Paparazzi, using a bicycle, not a bicyclist that got the summons. Big difference. Posting it as cyclist is what people in other posts have been afraid of the media doing putting cyclists in a bad light.

Had it been a little old lady riding her bicycle on the sidewalk and hitting nicole kidman, dollars to donuts, the little old lady would not have been given a summonse

As a general statement the law is very tolerant (too tolerant??? different discussion) of drivers and cyclists who 'make a mistake' and injure someone with no other mitigating circumstances.

People get summonse and hauled away when they show that they intended to cause harm, when the have history of accidents, are dui, have no license, hit and run, etc.

Old 09-13-13, 03:58 PM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I'm a little bit confused about your confusion:

The other is someone who made an unintentional mistake while attempting to operate a vehicle legally.

Once again, we have unrealistic ideologues who refuse to accept that gump happens and that everyone is capable of a driving error. They refuse to understand or accept that accidents are an understood, and accepted form of collateral damage. Had the SUV DELIBERATELY ridden on the sidewalk as part of its normal operation, there would be summonses. Apples to mangoes. I also like how the comparison is being formed based on a few blurbs about each incident.

So yes - there is more forgiveness for a mistake than there is for deliberate, repeated, illegal action. The punishment is not based on the outcome alone, but on the action. I think anyone who has interactions with urban sidewalk cyclists is glad to see the schmuck ticketed.
The question is not whether the driver's act was unintentional, but whether or not it fell far below the standard expected of a driver. I've had a car/van/small truck licence since 1967 and have never mistaken the accelerator pedal for the brake pedal, even tho' I use the same foot for both. If his standard fell far below that required and he (an adult) was in charge of a machine which can be lethal, especially to children, then the charge should be one of criminal negligence because of the consequences of failing to meet that standard.

If, according to those who've seen the video (apparently since taken off youtube) he had 3 seconds to react and failed so to do, then negligence is clear. No-one who cannot react in under 3 seconds, at the speed he was travelling, should be in charge of a motor vehicle, esp. one the size and weight of a SUV.

The idea that you should be treated the same as you would be if you were in a kid's pedal car, given the potential for injuring, crippling or killin by a mv is absurd.
Old 09-13-13, 04:00 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
I agree, these two things have nothing to do with each other.

That said, riding without a helmet is not a crime in NYC, so I don't see how he could have been cited for that. E online's video about the incident is probably incorrect on that point.
Old 09-13-13, 05:50 PM
kjmillig

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the SUV driver: Failure to maintain a lane, unsafe operation of a motor vehicle, negligent driving.......
Is that a good start? Stepping on the wrong pedal thereby driving onto a sidewalk, thereby striking pedestrians on said sidewalk. The driver should absolutely be held accountable for their actions, legally and financially.
Old 09-13-13, 06:32 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
"According to Newsday, the cyclist was issued three summonses: one for riding a bicycle on a sidewalk (which is justified), another for riding without a helmet (which is not), and a third for reckless endangerment.

Seeing how hard the NYPD came down on the cyclist, you’d expect they’d throw the book at the SUV driver.
I know this is a cyclo-centric forum, but not everything that happens to someone who happens to be riding a bike is about the bike. This probably would have been very different if it weren't a paparazzo, and so far. most of the media focus here in the NYC area is on that aspect, rather than about dangerous cyclists.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-13-13, 07:25 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake

Once again, we have unrealistic ideologues who refuse to accept that gump happens and that everyone is capable of a driving error. They refuse to understand or accept that accidents are an understood, and accepted form of collateral damage. Had the SUV DELIBERATELY ridden on the sidewalk as part of its normal operation, there would be summonses.
SO it's only a ticketable offense if the driver MEANT to do it? Good luck with that.
Old 09-13-13, 07:34 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by DX-MAN
SO it's only a ticketable offense if the driver MEANT to do it? Good luck with that.
I don't know tha particulars of the SUV accident, but as a general rule accidents aren't crimes or misdemeanors, nor are they per se citeable as traffic infractions.

So it isn't a question of intent, but whether a traffic law was violated. Of course we could say that there's obviously negligence underlying fatal accidents, negligence alone doesn't rise to criminality without aggravating issues, ie drunk, knowing failure to maintain the brakes. So absent a contributing factor, like running a light, excessive speed, etc. accidents don't draw tickets. Of course the DA has time to file charges if he finds criminality.

OTOH, the paparazzo was riding on a crowded sidewalk, possibly distracted by his effort to get a good photo. In short there were traffic code violations offenses and that's what he was cited for.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 09-13-13, 08:02 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
IMHO this is a stupid inflammtory argument that does nothing to furtheradvocacy and probably hurts it . . .
I agree.
Old 09-13-13, 08:12 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by kjmillig
For the SUV driver: Failure to maintain a lane, unsafe operation of a motor vehicle, negligent driving.......
Is that a good start? Stepping on the wrong pedal thereby driving onto a sidewalk, thereby striking pedestrians on said sidewalk. The driver should absolutely be held accountable for their actions, legally and financially.
The driver will be held responsible, just not treated as a criminal. That's why we have 2 separate court systems, civil and criminal.

Not wanting to nflame anyone, but I get sick of the argument that everyone that has an accident, even a fatal one, is somehow a criminal and should go to jail. Stuff happens, and even good people, acting in good faith, including careful drivers have accidents, and in some of those accidents, people die. But I'm not willing to fill jails with people who made a mistake.

Old 09-13-13, 08:40 PM
walrus1

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
The driver will be held responsible, just not treated as a criminal. That's why we have 2 separate court systems, civil and criminal.

Not wanting to nflame anyone, but I get sick of the argument that everyone that has an accident, even a fatal one, is somehow a criminal and should go to jail. Stuff happens, and even good people, acting in good faith, including careful drivers have accidents, and in some of those accidents, people die. But I'm not willing to fill jails with people who made a mistake.
FB, as a New Yorker surely you know that as long as the driver doesn't have a gun and is sober the NYPD does next to no investigation into whether or not a law has been broken. Look at that cabbie who severed that tourist's leg a few weeks back. No charges even though he was trying to run over a cyclist and lost control of the car in a fit of road rage. There is no accountability of dangerous drives cause frankly the NYPD don't give one flip. Why? Because One Police Plaza wants cops only to spend their time on getting guns off the street and on counter terrorism, both very reasonable and admirable goals for an urban police force, as well as babysitting tourists. However, anything else is a non-priority. If I take my bike on a NYC street I'm infinitely more likely to get run over than to get shot. I believe someone who speeds or drives aggressively in a car i.e. a deadly weapon should be held responsible for their actions. Shot or run over either way the victim is just as dead. And maybe this was simply just a terrible accident by someone unfit to drive but we will never know for sure.

Last edited by walrus1; 09-13-13 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-13-13, 08:43 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Armstrong uses drugs = banned for life. Football and baseball players use drugs = set out a couple of games, or whine about it and probably get off.
Old 09-13-13, 08:50 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The SUV that hit the children has nothing to do with cycling, only bad driving.

Previous threads regarding the Nicole Kidman incident are in Trollheim.

Thread closed.

Forum Guidelines *click here*