Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Got yelled at today

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Got yelled at today

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-13, 03:57 PM
Cyril 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
I first got into road bikes about 1971 as teenager. I had long hair and the short haired rednecks would yell at me, threw beer bottles at me once and ran me off the road a couple times. I thought it was because of my hair. 42 years later I have short hair, the rednecks have long hair and other than that not much has changed.
Rednecks do not have long hair, they have mullets. There's a difference.
Old 10-05-13, 06:24 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyril
Rednecks do not have long hair, they have mullets. There's a difference.
Having tried my hardest to be a Robert Plant look alike 40 years ago I am quite aware of the difference between long hair and a mullet. Maybe Ontario rednecks still wear mullets but trust me, around here they have either shaved their head or have long hair but NO mullets.
Old 10-05-13, 06:36 PM
Cyril 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Having tried my hardest to be a Robert Plant look alike 40 years ago I am quite aware of the difference between long hair and a mullet. Maybe Ontario rednecks still wear mullets but trust me, around here they have either shaved their head or have long hair but NO mullets.
Too bad.
Mullets used to be fashionable long hair filtered through the lens of a room temperature IQ.
Someone must have clued them in.
They still drive F-150s, don't they?
Old 10-05-13, 07:13 PM
Murray Missile 

Too bad.
Mullets used to be fashionable long hair filtered through the lens of a room temperature IQ.
Someone must have clued them in.
They still drive F-150s, don't they?
F350 diesel 4 X 4's with a 12" diameter "Hillbilly" stack coming up through the bed right behind the cab and wheels and tires that would be more at home on a road grader.
Old 10-05-13, 07:19 PM
Cyril 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
F350 diesel 4 X 4's with a 12" diameter "Hillbilly" stack coming up through the bed right behind the cab and wheels and tires that would be more at home on a road grader.
Hence the motto, "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing."
Old 10-05-13, 07:23 PM
Murray Missile 

Hence the motto, "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing."
Old 10-05-13, 09:16 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Signaling is useful enough, I think, to work on acquiring the habit and skills.

Selective memory is also useful. I find great fun in throwing stupid comments down into the well of forgetfulness.
Old 10-06-13, 12:05 PM
Equinox

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Scenario: Intersection; one lane w/shoulder in each direction; I'm first in line turning left; the car going in the opposite diection is also turning left; he has a line of cars behind him. The light turns green. I determine I can make my turn, but a guy in the opposite direction aggressively pulls onto the shoulder to pass his left turners on the right and he engaged me during my turn and he leaned on the horn and yelled at me. Is he allowed to pass his left turners on the right shoulder?
Old 10-06-13, 12:22 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I suppose it depends on the location, but in most places a motor vehicle is only allowed to travel in the roadway. The shoulder is not the roadway. I almost saw an accident caused by someone passing left turning vehicles on the shoulder. The people turning left cleared the intersection just as the guy made it past them on their right. So someone that had been waiting for them so he could go straight and the guy on the shoulder ended up in the same place at the same time. I saw the situation developing and thought for sure they were going to hit, but shoulder guy yielded in time. Around here, they are starting to stripe the shoulders, and I've also seen No! painted on the shoulders as well.
Old 10-06-13, 02:07 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Equinox
Scenario: Intersection; one lane w/shoulder in each direction; I'm first in line turning left; the car going in the opposite diection is also turning left; he has a line of cars behind him. The light turns green. I determine I can make my turn, but a guy in the opposite direction aggressively pulls onto the shoulder to pass his left turners on the right and he engaged me during my turn and he leaned on the horn and yelled at me. Is he allowed to pass his left turners on the right shoulder?
Yes, unless law enforcement is present he can drive in whatever way he sees fit no matter how rude, unlawful or dangerous so we are well advised to stay alert. Unless the driver is totally incapable of thought I suspect his loud noises were just an attempt fool himself into thinking that his actions were reasonable.
Old 10-06-13, 04:36 PM
Murray Missile 

Passing on the shoulder is illegal in most states and this guy was in the wrong BUT............. this:

Originally Posted by gcottay
Yes, unless law enforcement is present he can drive in whatever way he sees fit no matter how rude, unlawful or dangerous so we are well advised to stay alert. Unless the driver is totally incapable of thought I suspect his loud noises were just an attempt fool himself into thinking that his actions were reasonable.
Old 10-07-13, 05:33 AM
howeeee
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by walrus1
Cars yell unsolicited and often wrong pieces of advice at me all the time. I either ignore it or yell back and move on. I never signal a right turn or left turn on a one way road unless there is another bike or car close behind me and I have to slow down. Seriously, how many people do this? You had a very good reason for not signaling. I doubt that guy is a cyclist or at least how we would define one. One of my mom's friends told she is a cyclist because she takes her bike around the riverside trail a couple times a week if the weather is nice. So maybe this kid goes mountain biking or something. Cause if he rides on the road he would knows to watch out for bikes.
oh you are only a "real" cyclist if you ride the roads? lol
Old 10-08-13, 10:59 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Long Tom
...he pulls next to me, passenger window down, and yells...: "Follow the rules of the road! Use your hand like a turn signal! Be SAFE"
I signal when I can. The funny part - probably half of the motorists involved don't have a clue what I am doing with my arm.