Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What to do about ear bud users???

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

What to do about ear bud users???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 11:15 PM
GuNoKo

Bikes: '12 Gunnar Sport / '02 Novara commuter / Kona Hardtail 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear ear buds while cycling because I like some distraction (podcasts) on some of the long slogs, or some music on the steep parts to keep me going. Nobody, car nor bike comes up on me without me seeing them in the mirror or hearing them first first. And I do always pause the sound to allow any conversation as may occur, or when traffic gets heavy. But I go uphill for hours at a time. And I concur with the comment about wind noise on the downhill, I just put the headphones away then if I don't need them for warmth and wind nose reduction.
Old 11-04-13, 11:45 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
Would she know to stop talking when I call you out from behind?
There's always the 41 solution: Bike fast enough that no one passes.
Old 11-04-13, 11:54 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Would you still be able to hear me while you are talking to your wife on your iPhone while riding? Would she know to stop talking when I call you out from behind?
Why should I or any other cyclist be concerned about you or any other cyclist "calling us out" from behind if we are already in the correct lateral position on the path, MUP, or street? What are we supposed to do with this call out?
Rather than calling out, why not just be quiet and pass with sufficient room?
Old 11-05-13, 12:01 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Why should I or any other cyclist be concerned about you or any other cyclist "calling us out" from behind if we are already in the correct lateral position on the path, MUP, or street? What are we supposed to do with this call out?
I've had a cyclist with earbuds embedded in her ears swerve into me while I was passing her on the left. Had she done that half a second later, she would have knocked me down into the traffic lane. I had called her out and she remained on the right side of the bike lane, which had sufficient room for me to pass if she had not make the sudden move.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 11-05-13, 12:15 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
I've had a cyclist with earbuds embedded in her ears swerve into me while I was passing her on the left. Had she done that half a second later, she would have knocked me down into the traffic lane. I had called her out and she remained on the right side of the bike lane, which had sufficient room for me to pass if she had not make the sudden move.
I wish I had a dime for every post on BF from disgruntled posters who complain about other cyclists (and pedestrians) who DID hear the "On your left" call out and then responded by moving suddenly to their left. Often these same posters complain that it keeps on happening without ever pausing to think that call outs, especially in cryptic (to the recipient) gibberish are not all that effective. If in doubt slow down and more importantly give enough room.

BTW, do you also honk (call out) at every cyclist you approach from behind while driving in order to inform them of your presence?
Old 11-05-13, 12:36 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I wish I had a dime for every post on BF from disgruntled posters who complain about other cyclists (and pedestrians) who DID hear the "On your left" call out and then responded by moving suddenly to their left. Often these same posters complain that it keeps on happening without ever pausing to think that call outs, especially in cryptic (to the recipient) gibberish are not all that effective. If in doubt slow down and more importantly give enough room.
I didn't doubt the callouts would be effective. In my short history of cycling, my callouts have never resulted in the other cyclist(s) swerving into me like she did. I usually slow down a bit when I call out, to give myself time to make up my mind whether or not to "go."

And I hope I didn't sound like a "disgruntled" poster who "complained" about other cyclists. I simply described an incident that I believe was caused by the hearing impairment caused by earbuds.

BTW, do you also honk (call out) at every cyclist you approach from behind while driving in order to inform them of your presence?
I often (but not always) rev up a bit to notify the cyclist that I'm behind and intend to pass them. If I plan on staying behind them until another lane is available, then I won't do that. I'm not sure if this is in any way related to the incident I mentioned, but just FYI.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 11-05-13, 03:31 AM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Too late, they already exist, although I have no idea if they actually work.
Noooooooo! I was thinking along the lines of some cut-up polyethylene jug container / ear shrouds which looked 'aero', but still Lance-like enough to entice Freds' to wear em.' Costs .10 cents. Sell em' for 20.00.
Old 11-05-13, 07:35 AM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Riding with ear buds is like riding with an eye patch over one eye.
Old 11-05-13, 07:37 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
You're absolutely right. If a car or faster biker happens to be coming up behind you just as you turn left into their path because you didn't hear their engine, bell, horn, or "on your left", it's their problem, and not yours. No reason for YOU to be aware of your surroundings...
I asked the question in the most general sense I could because the OP statement was done in the most general sense, "Those things are not safe to wear while riding. People who wear time while riding are irresponsible and domme idioten!! " whatever language that last sentence merged from English into. I ride on a Rails to Trails out in the middle of nowhere. I've ridden now 500 miles since I started a few months ago. In that 500 miles, I've had maybe 3 people pass me from behind. I see maybe 5 people in total on a 2 hour ride either walking or riding slow and I slow down, announce I'm coming, and go around them or people coming by the opposite way. I ride on the right hand side of the trail. I ride for 6-10 miles and turn around to go back. The trail is 34 miles to the end where you would have to make any kind of turn to the left.

Originally Posted by gsa103
If you don't look behind you before going left, you're likely to be a hood ornament on a Prius, ear buds or not.
Or any car. Why would you not check behind you no matter what, whether you are listening to earbuds, talking on a bluetooth device on the phone, or just riding without anything in your ears. If I was out on the road in traffic, first I would have a mirror to keep an eye on everything coming up behind me because I certainly wouldn't be traveling as fast as the automotive traffic on the road. If at any point I had to turn left, I certainly would be looking behind me and checking.

So first, we have a general blanket statement that says wearing earbuds while riding a bicycle is unsafe and people who do wear them are irresponsible and, I guess the final statement would translate to, are idiots, without identifying the environment the riding is in. Second, the statement I see assumes that only without earbuds could you have any situational awareness to know that there is traffic behind you on the road which I also assume states that with using earbuds, I would be incapable of turning my head or checking a mirror to see what was coming behind me.
Old 11-05-13, 07:38 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You can call me an idiot but hey...I knew that. Backpacking alone in grizzly country. Check. Scuba diving in the ocean alone. Check. Flying hang gliders. Check. Camping at -40F without a tent. Check. Wearing ear buds doesn't even get on my radar as a risky behavior unless I get around a city where I ride near other cyclists or some "real" traffic then I take out my ear bud(s). But if there were a law against wearing them I'd just ignore it like a stop sign in the middle of nowhere with no traffic in sight.
Old 11-05-13, 07:43 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
People are a lot better behaved on your MUPs than they are on the ones I ride on. When I ride the MUP in Forest Park, I spend half the ride dodging cyclists, runners, and walkers who are lost in ther own little audio worlds.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 11-05-13, 07:52 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
This thread amuses me, I do sometimes ride with earbuds though, or rather one in my right ear and volume set to reasonably low. I also happen to have a handlebar stereo.. that goes on a mountain bike that I don't road ride with though. I saw good points about people listening to radio programs, or having buds in place for being hands free on the phone if a call does come in... as was already said I think the OP presumes too much.
Old 11-05-13, 07:56 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers

So first, we have a general blanket statement that says wearing earbuds while riding a bicycle is unsafe and people who do wear them are irresponsible and, I guess the final statement would translate to, are idiots, without identifying the environment the riding is in. Second, the statement I see assumes that only without earbuds could you have any situational awareness to know that there is traffic behind you on the road which I also assume states that with using earbuds, I would be incapable of turning my head or checking a mirror to see what was coming behind me.
You are mistaken. Many of us have ample real world experience that tells us earbud wearing bikers, joggers, and walkers are frequently the very people who drift out of their lane, make unpredictable turns and stops, fail to hear audible warnings, and generally ride as if they were the only ones on the road. While I'm sure you are exceptionaly safe and a glowing example for us all, it is my experience that you are an atypical earbud user.

I don't propose any sort of law or rule against earbud wearing, but I frown on the practice, and take pains to avoid sharing the road or trail with people who wear them. In my experience, I am much safer on the road with drivers who are at least aware that they are sharing the road with other vehicles than I am on the MUP with people who don't seem to be aware other riders exist.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Last edited by bbbean; 11-05-13 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-05-13, 09:29 AM
neg

Bikes: Secteur Apex, Trek 6000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not noticed a correlation between ear bud use and reckless be behaviour. Few to none of the cyclists around the university where I work use ear buds, but nearly all are reckless and inconsiderate. The only cyclist who adheres to proper road etiquette is an ear bud user, but that cyclist is me so I will not count myself.

I consider my experiences to be universal, though I only have anecdotal evidence coloured by confirmation bias to attest to that fact.
Therefore, I encourage people to live their lives like I live my life, and we'll all get along nicely.
Old 11-05-13, 09:35 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
Drive defensively and MYOB would be my suggestion.
That, alas, works only in the real world, not A&S.
Old 11-05-13, 10:15 AM
Joemess
Space for rent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should write a strongly worded letter and use lots of exclamation points, caps lock, and bold type.

I find it extrodinarily hard to believe that an earbud is the devil.
Old 11-05-13, 10:27 AM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Essex
At the end of the day - isn't cycling about getting away from it all and connecting with the environment? I don't run, bike, lift weights, sail, use power tools, or go underwater with ear / head phones. I want to be aware of what's around me.

I do not ride a bike to commune with nature, to smell the roses, to meditate, or to breathe in the "fresh air". My bike is not a toy and cycling is not my hobby -- it's how I get from point A to point B.
Old 11-05-13, 10:39 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
You know there's a new product in there somewhere? Some kind of aero/noise deadening shield for earbuds. However, given the discourse here - probably illegal.
Even better, some electronic device which can recognize the sounds of an approaching vehicle and feed them through to the ear buds, while cancelling out all other sounds. If it was sensitive enough we'd be have even more warning than you would with the unaided ear. Add detection for sirens, tire screeches, child noises etc.
Old 11-05-13, 10:39 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
I do not ride a bike to commune with nature, to smell the roses, to meditate, or to breathe in the "fresh air". My bike is not a toy and cycling is not my hobby -- it's how I get from point A to point B.
The point is well taken. People ride bikes for a variety or reasons, and have different life styles, and preferences. Many like myself ride different ways at different times and for different reasons. When commuting on busy streets I'm all about getting there, on many long rides it's simply about being out alone to think, and in many places it's about the scenery.

The OPs objections about earbuds are nonsense, and he'd be better off worrying about himself that what everybody around him is doing.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-05-13, 10:45 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Biking is beauty in the eye of the rider. We all want different things from the experience. I doubt that any one has a death wish. There are some riders that seem to want to be an obstacle. I prefer to smile and wave and give them lots of room. Some runners also fit that description.

To argue with a fool is to be brought down to their level. I don't know of anyone who suddenly shifts gears, apologizes and says, darn it, you are right, forgive me for being stupid.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 11-05-13, 12:24 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
"I don't know of anyone who suddenly shifts gears, apologizes and says, darn it, you are right, forgive me for being stupid."

I read about it on an internet forum, so it must happen. Stop being stupid
Old 11-05-13, 02:52 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
You know there's a new product in there somewhere? Some kind of aero/noise deadening shield for earbuds. However, given the discourse here - probably illegal.
Index fingers? Free, but not safe. Must take hands off the bars.
Old 11-05-13, 03:51 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I've been riding with headphones since the days of the very first sony walkman. Based on this experience I will provide a few hints on how to ride with ear buds without killing young children and/or kittens.

1. Turn the volume down.
2. Use only one ear bud.
3. Perform a shoulder check before passing or changing lanes. Surprisingly, this is also a good idea when cycling sans head phones!
4. Talk radio/podcasts and classical are less distracting than death metal or shoe-gazer.
5. Do not dart out into traffic when there is a really good guitar lick or pop hook.
6. Do not play air guitar or tap out beats while riding.
7. When visiting Almelo and a dude with a 'stache asks you to to ditch the head phones...shout out "Whaaaaht?!!!" very loudly.
Old 11-05-13, 04:11 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Would you still be able to hear me while you are talking to your wife on your iPhone while riding? Would she know to stop talking when I call you out from behind?
Can the person in the car with the windows rolled up and the radio on hear you?

It amazes me that people have so much time on their hands that they think they're going to go around and nanny every person on the road.

Be sure to take the license plates of every person who passes you when you're doing the speed limit on the road too, and turn them in to the police.
Old 11-05-13, 04:13 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
You are mistaken. Many of us have ample real world experience that tells us earbud wearing bikers, joggers, and walkers are frequently the very people who drift out of their lane, make unpredictable turns and stops, fail to hear audible warnings, and generally ride as if they were the only ones on the road.
You should look up the phrase "correlation is not causation" then rethink.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.