Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I (v2):

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-15, 11:30 AM
T13

Bikes: '84 Basso Pista, Masi Heinz '57 SS beater. Couple Stingrays...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaytron
Cost of living out here is really dumb, something to consider before moving.

Oh, wow, ya know what? I hadn't considered that at all, wow I'm so glad you pointed that out to me, I had no idea, I'm so glad It's not August 1rst, the day I am leaving here, I can't believe I didn't even bother to consider the cost of living etc etc. Thanks!

Haha
Old 07-01-15, 11:44 AM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by T13
Yeah, I'll always love LA, that's where I grew up. But the older I get, the more I really like NorCal. The weather, especially.
I'm Angeleno by birth, but I'll take either north or south over it. Sausalito and Leucadia would be my top choices.
Old 07-01-15, 11:50 AM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by T13
Oh, wow, ya know what? I hadn't considered that at all, wow I'm so glad you pointed that out to me, I had no idea, I'm so glad It's not August 1rst, the day I am leaving here, I can't believe I didn't even bother to consider the cost of living etc etc. Thanks!

Haha
No problem!

I love it up here, but I've sort of accepted the fact that I will likely never own a house that is in the area and my rent will be more than a house payment almost anywhere else in the country. It's a little depressing sometimes

If you don't mind a room in a house/apt and share a place with people though, you can find some decent places. My last apt was a 3/2 and it cost less than my 1/1 AND it was split between 3 people. Everyone in the house rode bikes and we had them mounted all over the wall. Was pretty rad.
Old 07-01-15, 12:08 PM
Sherblock

Bikes: '14 Kona Rove, '06 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leaving for Santa Fe today, to go the opening performance of the Opera season. I've only been to the opera once before, and that one time was enjoyable. People knock it a lot but if you like seeing things on stage like plays or musicals, you'd like opera too.

Wish I would have time to rent a bike to go pedaling around! Instead it'll be eating and shopping and lazing about, I think, since I'm only there for 3 days.
Old 07-01-15, 12:18 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by T13

Haha
i have 5 kids, and one got a job in Chevy Chase, Maryland last year. That is when we found out that Chevy Chase is one of "those" place with the ridiculous rents like SF. You know, Seattle is a great place to live, just saying. But, don't tell anyone else. And, the rents outside of downtown are reasonable.
Old 07-01-15, 12:28 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Sherblock
Leaving for Santa Fe today, to go the opening performance of the Opera season. I've only been to the opera once before, and that one time was enjoyable. People knock it a lot but if you like seeing things on stage like plays or musicals, you'd like opera too.

Wish I would have time to rent a bike to go pedaling around! Instead it'll be eating and shopping and lazing about, I think, since I'm only there for 3 days.
Musicals, stage or film, make my skin crawl. I'm not sure why, but when a character is just walking down the street and suddenly breaks out into a song it freaks me out.
Old 07-01-15, 12:34 PM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Musicals, stage or film, make my skin crawl. I'm not sure why, but when a character is just walking down the street and suddenly breaks out into a song it freaks me out.
What else are you afraid of, and are you willing to pay $150 per hour to talk about it?

This old man has some new wheels on the way, and the wife unit might be pissed!!!
Old 07-01-15, 12:41 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by Kindaslow
What else are you afraid of, and are you willing to pay $150 per hour to talk about it?

This old man has some new wheels on the way, and the wife unit might be pissed!!!

It's not fear. It's extreme annoyance. I know it's irrational, similar to most phobias, but I feel like, "SHUT UP, STOP SINGING DAMNIT, THIS WOULD NEVER HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE!!!!!"

Yet I'm hooked on Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead. Because, you know, dragons and zombies are real.

I don't understand.
Old 07-01-15, 01:16 PM
Kindaslow

It's not fear. It's extreme annoyance. I know it's irrational, similar to most phobias, but I feel like, "SHUT UP, STOP SINGING DAMNIT, THIS WOULD NEVER HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE!!!!!"

Yet I'm hooked on Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead. Because, you know, dragons and zombies are real.

I don't understand.
I do not care what you call it, if it gets the wife ok with my new wheels!!! And, I promise to act like I care!!!

Please note, I stopped counseling adults years ago, and work on evals and services for kids. Adults are a hot stinky mess. Hence, some of my statements above....
Old 07-01-15, 01:21 PM
T13

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaytron
No problem!

I love it up here, but I've sort of accepted the fact that I will likely never own a house that is in the area and my rent will be more than a house payment almost anywhere else in the country. It's a little depressing sometimes

If you don't mind a room in a house/apt and share a place with people though, you can find some decent places. My last apt was a 3/2 and it cost less than my 1/1 AND it was split between 3 people. Everyone in the house rode bikes and we had them mounted all over the wall. Was pretty rad.

I'm not too worried about owning a house. that doesn't even register on my radar as anything I want or need. I just want a place where my chick will be safe when I'm not home. As far as roommates go, I could do that, if it was just me. My Chica would trip out though.

We got a couple lines a some decent places. If nothing else, we will just say **** it, and live up in Russian river where you can get a creepy old house for 600 a month haha.
Old 07-01-15, 01:26 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@SquidPuppet, people say that all the time and then you ask them what their favorite movie is. "Life of Brian ... Blues Brothers ... Hard Day's Night ... Willy Wonka ... Frozen ... Wizard of Oz ... " Not saying that is you but sometimes people think that the only musicals are "High School Musical" and "Singing in the rain" and yeah, either of those will make anybody's skin crawl.
Old 07-01-15, 01:39 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
i saw a hardcore ass biker dude just yesterday with a blues brothers tattoo. tell him its a musical and theyll find your body in a junkyard. lmao
Old 07-01-15, 01:46 PM
T13

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"You got my Cheez-Whiz, boy?"
Old 07-01-15, 01:48 PM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Bikes: En plus one

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not Life of Brian, say it ain't so.

Great song at the end though.
Old 07-01-15, 01:50 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by prooftheory
@SquidPuppet, people say that all the time and then you ask them what their favorite movie is. "Life of Brian ... Blues Brothers ... Hard Day's Night ... Willy Wonka ... Frozen ... Wizard of Oz ... " Not saying that is you but sometimes people think that the only musicals are "High School Musical" and "Singing in the rain" and yeah, either of those will make anybody's skin crawl.
Yep, but not me. Contemporary or vintage, doesn't matter. Grease, Les Miserables, Annie, Moulin Rouge, etc...... Doesn't matter. My brain starts to disassemble itself as a protection mechanism. Even as a kid I remember I couldn't stomach stuff like Mary Poppins or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

I do however enjoy films about music that contain musicians (and singers) performing, both fiction and documentary. I'm eager to see "Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck".
Old 07-01-15, 01:53 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mumonkan
i saw a hardcore ass biker dude just yesterday with a blues brothers tattoo. tell him its a musical and theyll find your body in a junkyard. lmao
That's exactly the point. The dude probably would say the same thing as SquidPuppet about people singing and yet have absolutely no problem with Aretha the waitress busting out a whole number that gets people dancing in the street.
Old 07-01-15, 01:56 PM
T13

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yep, but not me. Contemporary or vintage, doesn't matter. Grease, Les Miserables, Annie, Moulin Rouge, etc...... Doesn't matter. My brain starts to disassemble itself as a protection mechanism. Even as a kid I remember I couldn't stomach stuff like Mary Poppins or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

I do however enjoy films about music that contain musicians (and singers) performing, both fiction and documentary. I'm eager to see "Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck".

Have you seen "It Might Get Loud"? It's pretty cool, worth checking out if you like music type "documentaries" that don't seem like typical documentaries.

I love Blues Brothers, but man, I can't STAND Grease.
Old 07-01-15, 02:01 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
Originally Posted by Mumonkan
sitting on my ass all day waiting for something to break isnt working.
Im an expert at it.

Old 07-01-15, 02:05 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
Originally Posted by Sherblock

Santa Fe is cool and one of my favorite places to visit, albeit a little goofy with all the artsy people and a large L/G community. I guess that explains some of the cool. I'm conservative by nature but I embrace my liberal side when I visit SF. Stay at the La Fonda - more super cool.

Old 07-01-15, 02:07 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by T13
Have you seen "It Might Get Loud"? It's pretty cool, worth checking out if you like music type "documentaries" that don't seem like typical documentaries.

I love Blues Brothers, but man, I can't STAND Grease.
Nope. Never got around to it.

LOL. Blues Brothers......I would never be able to make it through five minutes. I like Akroyd and Belushi too.
Old 07-01-15, 02:10 PM
T13

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Santa Fe is cool and one of my favorite places to visit, albeit a little goofy with all the artsy people and a large L/G community. I guess that explains some of the cool. I'm conservative by nature but I embrace my liberal side when I visit SF. Stay at the La Fonda - more super cool.

Santa Fe feels weird and fake, like overly contrived weirdness, to me.
Old 07-01-15, 02:18 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Haha actually there are places where it happens all the time
Old 07-01-15, 02:25 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
Old 07-01-15, 02:30 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by jlafitte
Haha actually there are places where it happens all the time
I have traveled extensively and so far have not experienced that. I know many communities have festive celebrations where music and song have a big role, but where do people just bust out singing when they are at the park, or in a store?
Old 07-01-15, 02:36 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have traveled extensively and so far have not experienced that. I know many communities have festive celebrations where music and song have a big role, but where do people just bust out singing when they are at the park, or in a store?
If they are drunk. You need to visit places with more rampant alcoholism.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.