Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding in rain and keeping feet dry

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Riding in rain and keeping feet dry

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-21, 10:46 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
You obviously haven't ridden in the rain at 40°.
I used to be a bike courier, im used to the ******** weather. Admittedly its the extremities that need protection at cold temps.
Old 11-13-21, 07:09 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I used to be a bike courier, im used to the ******** weather. Admittedly its the extremities that need protection at cold temps.
Everything needs protection in the rain at 40⁰
Old 11-13-21, 01:10 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Since I made that post I bought some Lake MXZ176 shoes. I bought them for cold weather so but they are good for wet rides as well.
I have a couple of pairs of insulated shoes from Northwave. They work pretty well, but each has a temp range of about 10F degrees where they are comfortable. Above that range and they’re too hot. Below that range and they’re cold. The warmest pair I have are the Northwave Raptor GTX from a couple of years ago. I think they have 200g insulation and a neoprene cuff that goes up about to where a shoe cover goes. Those work for me down to about 25 for under two hours.

I recently bought a pair of the Spatzwear Roadman 3 shoe covers. They’re a bit unusual in that they go up to just below your knees. I’ve been wearing them now to about 40F with my normal carbon soled shoes and I’ve been really surprised at how well they work. There definitely is something to the idea that if you keep the blood warm in your legs on the way to your feet then that will go a long way to keeping your feet warm.
Old 11-13-21, 11:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
All I can say, is that between the fenders I use and the toe protectors I use, my feet seem to stay largely dry. Can’t speak to what you do obviously, but seems to work for me.
when riding in a monsoon or thunderstorm LIKE downpour, there is nothing which will keep you dry. I bike commuted in Oregon and Washington for years with long fenders with flaps, covered head to toe in Gortex and still would get drenched when the skies really opened up during my 1.5 hour rides. Light rain to moderate rain was no problem.

Old 11-13-21, 11:41 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
when riding in a monsoon or thunderstorm LIKE downpour, there is nothing which will keep you dry. I bike commuted in Oregon and Washington for years with long fenders with flaps, covered head to toe in Gortex and still would get drenched when the skies really opened up during my 1.5 hour rides. Light rain to moderate rain was no problem.
+1 I've ridden in NE nor'easters. Lived in Santa Cruz a year. Moved to Seattle, then Portland. Rode down Alba Rd above Santa Cruz in a January Pacific storm. Years later around Seattle's Lake Washington on a fall day. Got caught in rain so hard the frogs stayed indoors. Got home with an immaculate clean chain. But I've also ridden many rides in those places where it rained less than 1/10th of an inch but that went into the books as another day of rain.

The "atmospheric river" the PNW is seeing now? ~3" in two days that we call a lot? Speak that in some parts of the world and they'd just laugh.
Old 11-14-21, 02:13 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I have a couple of pairs of insulated shoes from Northwave. They work pretty well, but each has a temp range of about 10F degrees where they are comfortable. Above that range and they’re too hot. Below that range and they’re cold. The warmest pair I have are the Northwave Raptor GTX from a couple of years ago. I think they have 200g insulation and a neoprene cuff that goes up about to where a shoe cover goes. Those work for me down to about 25 for under two hours.
I wear wool socks and the Lake's have been good from the low 30's (my limit), to the low 50's. Haven't really had a problem with my feet getting too hot.
Old 11-15-21, 10:30 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
of course.

I live in the Midwest. I know thunderstorms and downpours better than I would like to.

When I can’t see because the water is coming down that hard and it’s in my eyes then good judgment tells me it’s time to quit riding. The good part about downpours is they rarely become biblical and usually don’t last long so waiting is a good strategy. So that’s what I do. Other than that, my feet remain fairly dry.
Old 11-16-21, 12:32 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
For me, it was/is never a question that the feet were gonna get wet... wet and cold is the problem for me - wet and warm is ok.
solution I worked out quite some years back, riding back east, in winter when the roads were mixed slush and/or just super wet, or heavy rain - for warm feet, in spite of being wet...
1. Shoes which can stand up to being wet - most shoes disintegrate on getting wet. (at least the old school stuff without the all synth carbon soles/footbeds/uppers)
2. Warm socks - wool - most recently I found that 'cool-max socks also work well...
3. Newspaper plastic bags - the ones newspapers get delivered in - good width & length, which goes over the shoes, after you've put them on. Nice thing is the plastic is quite thin, so that when you step into your cleats, the bag goes in with then cleat, and no virtual issue in release...
4. Longer cheap soccer' socks over the entire foot/shoes/bag/lower leg. (you have to cutout the area for the cleat to show through...) They hold the plastic bag in snug in place and allow proper engagement of cleat/pedal.
5. 2 rubber bands to help hold the soccer socks up...

the plastic bags can last about 5 - 6 rides, if you reuse and position where they were on prior rides... cleats in 'worn' hole in bag.
The soccer socks seem to last about 30 -35 rides - sometimes longer - also a smaller downsized sock will stay tighter and not loosen as they get wetter.
I like the idea from earlier in thread, about using the disposable gloves as a sealer/sleeve - would prolly work better than 2 rubber bands... gonna give that a try - if it ever rains again, out here... LOL
Ride On
Yuri
Old 11-16-21, 07:26 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
When it gets cold and wet I break out a pair of Shimano SH-RW80 Winter Road Shoes.

https://www.roadbikereview.com/threa...d-shoe.379131/

I've had them a long time, but they're pretty bulletproof, and I don't put a ton of miles on them, as the number of cold and wet riding days is pretty low here, so I don't know what the current equivalent product is. I would assume that whatever the equivalent product is, it would perform similarly.