Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you carry ID when you ride?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you carry ID when you ride?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-22, 11:11 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Shouldn't a cell phone do the trick?
Yup, as long as you don’t lock it.
Tim
Old 02-18-22, 11:12 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
My wife bought me a road ID after a crash years ago. I put it on, and have never taken it off.

Funny enough, when I crashed and broke my neck a couple years ago, I crawled out of the ravine, got on my bike, and coasted down the hill. From there I texted my wife for a ride. In retrospect, not my best decision.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 02-19-22, 03:35 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I have a RoadID bracelet, plus I always carry a ziploc bag with my iPhone, license, insurance card, and some cash. Always.

Right up till you fall on it.

EDIT: This is something I worry about - sure I carry a phone. But what if I fall, and it's between me and the hard, hard road? Hence the backup of the DL and insurance card.
I agree that's theoretically true. I'd think it's pretty unlikely.
Old 02-19-22, 05:51 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
Yes. I have responded to accidents in which cyclists were badly hurt or killed. In the case of the latter, having no ID means family members have to come to the morgue to identify the body.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 02-19-22, 09:32 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I always carry a wallet with my drivers license, bank card, credit card, health card, social insurance number, vehicle insurance and some cash.
Yup. I never leave the house without my wallet, phone, and keys. I don't really understand all these "alternative" approaches, when these three items seem like the minimum. Last year I had a seat post clamp crack and was able to swing by a bike shop, buy a replacement, and be on my way. The person who carries only a $20 bill (or whatever) is a mystery to me. I also keep an old driver's license in my seat bag though I wonder whether an emergency responder would ever think to look there.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 02-19-22, 10:11 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
As a couple others suggested, last night I photocopied my DL. I obscured some of the information I wouldn't want out in the general public and then on the back typed out my medical conditions, ICE and my VA ID. Since I get all my health care through the VA for now, I want any law enforcement or health care providers having to go there for any other information. For those that aren't aware, the VA is very specific about what they will and will not cover, even in an emergency. They left me hanging one time before and it cost me a bankruptcy.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 02-19-22, 10:15 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Yup. I never leave the house without my wallet, phone, and keys. I don't really understand all these "alternative" approaches, when these three items seem like the minimum. Last year I had a seat post clamp crack and was able to swing by a bike shop, buy a replacement, and be on my way. The person who carries only a $20 bill (or whatever) is a mystery to me. I also keep an old driver's license in my seat bag though I wonder whether an emergency responder would ever think to look there.
I think of it not only in terms of "What might I want with me?" but also "What might I not want to lose?" If I lose my little ziploc with phone, DL, and insurance cards, I can get new versions pretty quick. But if I lose a wallet with credit cards, work keycard, etc., I have to worry about getting those things canceled and replaced.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-19-22, 10:27 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Shouldn't a cell phone do the trick?
Just because we all have cell phones doesn't mean it's wrong to carry a wallet with your drivers license, credit card, insurance etc. I prefer to carry both.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 02-19-22, 12:17 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Just because we all have cell phones doesn't mean it's wrong to carry a wallet with your drivers license, credit card, insurance etc. I prefer to carry both.
I'm not implying it's wrong to do whatever you want to do. I just want to clarify.
Old 02-19-22, 04:33 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
I have a tattoo of my personal info. Lightweight, aero, never leave home w/o it. Location, ummm, under my shorts. no pic
Old 02-19-22, 07:26 PM
VegasJen

Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
I have a tattoo of my personal info. Lightweight, aero, never leave home w/o it. Location, ummm, under my shorts. no pic
In the military, it's called a "meat tag", typically on the rib cage. I've considered one but haven't done it. Main reason I haven't is just that you have to make sure you get a good tattoo artist as print does get rather muddy after a number of years.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 02-19-22, 07:46 PM
Zillon
Underdog

Bikes: Several.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't carry a full-blown wallet, but I do carry a ziploc with an expired (but otherwise current) DL, a health insurance card, a CC, and a bit of cash.

I'd rather not be an unidentified bag of meat.
Old 02-19-22, 07:50 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
I am a minimalist when I run and ride. I got a road ID after a very hot half marathon. A guy died and all he had was his shoes, shorts and a hat. No ID, he also lost his tag when he started getting whacky from dehydration. IT took them a couple of days to notify his relatives. So at least I have my road ID all the time.
Old 02-19-22, 08:09 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Just curious what you guys are doing when you ride. I don't really have anybody I ride with so all my rides are solo. Considering that, I always have to keep in the back of my mind the possibility some jack hole hits me on the road. What if I'm unconscious? What if I can't respond? I have a medical condition emergency personnel should know about. I've been thinking about things like this, especially when I'm out on one of my longer rides where it would be much harder to associate me with my home or vehicle. I don't want to carry my DL when I ride because it's just a headache transferring it from my wallet to a pack and then back. And then if I happen to forget to transfer it back I might get caught driving around without my DL on accident.

I do still have my old set of dog tags but that has my social security number on them. I'd rather not have that just in case I happen to lose it or someone less scrupulous were to find it first.

What do you guys do?
Well, I carry my entire wallet but it is thin and not over-stuffed.

But how 'bout an old drivers license? I have a collection and the data is current or they could look me up for more current if necessary.
Old 02-19-22, 08:15 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Yes!
I carry a "Smallet", with a copy of my passport and insurance cards, name and # of contact person - plus a couple of $20s,
Old 02-19-22, 10:40 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
I carry an expired DL, a credit card, $20 cash, my phone which is in my rear jersey pocket, and my bus pass.
When outside the US I carry some local currency, a laminated copy of my passport, my phone which is in my rear jersey pocket, and contact info in the local language.
Luckily I have never had to use any of these items except the local foreign currency but it wasn't for an emergency.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 02-19-22, 10:55 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I think of it not only in terms of "What might I want with me?" but also "What might I not want to lose?" If I lose my little ziploc with phone, DL, and insurance cards, I can get new versions pretty quick. But if I lose a wallet with credit cards, work keycard, etc., I have to worry about getting those things canceled and replaced.

Plus I don't want my nice leather wallet getting sweaty in my jersey pocket! 😂

Zip lock back has worked well for me for many years now, I just replace it from time to time when it seems weak or develops a rip.

Phone, cash, credit card, road assist card, emergency contact card, face mask. Done.
Old 02-20-22, 09:53 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I have a dog tag on my trunk pack. It has my name, home phone number and blood type. That is all you need.
Old 02-20-22, 11:33 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Road ID on right wrist, Apple Watch on left wrist, and a little cash with CO2 inflator. No need for phone, wallet, driver's license, credit cards.
Old 02-20-22, 11:34 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
i carry an expired drivers license ... it's all you need on a bike and no big deal if you lose it
Old 02-20-22, 11:42 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
So here's this guy. Staggering up from a culvert ditch... Wearing a bicycle jersey and shorts... No Helmet, No shoes, No cell Phone, No Wallet, No Wedding Ring, No Bicycle. He is incoherent but manages to say,"I've been mugged." before collapsing.

Hummmm???

Let's hope this is just a nightmare. When ya think of it what would be the score on a good bike and sundries. Whoops... Don't want to give anyone ideas...
Old 02-20-22, 12:01 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
So here's this guy. Staggering up from a culvert ditch... Wearing a bicycle jersey and shorts... No Helmet, No shoes, No cell Phone, No Wallet, No Wedding Ring, No Bicycle. He is incoherent but manages to say,"I've been mugged." before collapsing.
Maybe he meant it figuratively. We've all been on group rides like that ...
Old 02-20-22, 02:27 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Most of my riding is tours so, full wallet, cell phone, etc.
Usually, not the truck keys.
Old 02-20-22, 03:50 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
i like to ride light. i usually remember to put my drivers' license in a pocket of my shorts (rapha core cargo shorts, flat mesh pockets on the front/side, they work great). for a short ride (within 30 miles of home) that's it beyond a disposable mask (in case i have to go into a store, uber, etc) my phone, which is attached to my bars and has my medical id info available without unlocking the phone. the medical ID page shows my name, age, that i have a specific heart condition, implanted defibrillator, the meds i take (which have interactions with lots of things, etc)

on a longer ride, the same shorts pocket also gets a credit card and a 20 or 50.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 02-21-22, 07:37 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Yup, as long as you don’t lock it.
Tim
It's simple to access the Medical ID info on a locked iphone. Not sure about Android but would think they'd have a similar functionality.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209053

Of course the phone would need to be functional, not smashed.

Likes For gpburdell:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.