Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Center cut saddles vs none

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-23, 11:45 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts

Recently went on a long ride with a Brooks Cambria saddle, the kind without a pressure cutout.

My crotch section was feeling a little numb after that ride. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but I kind of was not expecting it to be that much of a problem.

This makes me wonder: why even bother making saddles that don't have the pressure cutout?
Old 02-23-23, 11:49 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
idk the answer, but I will say that extra stowage space is a nice glovebox for the delicate region.
Old 02-23-23, 11:56 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
Recently went on a long ride with a Brooks Cambria saddle, the kind without a pressure cutout.

My crotch section was feeling a little numb after that ride. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but I kind of was not expecting it to be that much of a problem.

This makes me wonder: why even bother making saddles that don't have the pressure cutout?
Because some people have preferences that differ from yours.
Old 02-23-23, 12:16 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
because different saddles work for different people.

for me the classic selle Turbo works, Brooks b-17 works, Brooks swift works, selle italia flyte works (but dont ride it too heavy to be comfortable works, my all time favorite Berthoud works

but the B17N Imperial (with the cutouts ) was not at all comfortable and caused numbing

ymmv

Old 02-23-23, 01:15 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
I have an older cutout saddle on one bike, and a newer non-cutout on another. Both bikes are comfortable for me and I don't have issues with pressure or numbness on either.

I bought the cutout saddle to help relieve pressure/numbness (which it did do), but then later got a bike fit and now I seem to be able to use whatever saddle I want. I still find both saddles comfortable and can't really tell much of a difference - though I prefer the aesthetic of the non-cutout.
Old 02-23-23, 01:52 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
For the same reason bars are made with different drop, reach, and bend shapes.
For the same reason bikes have varying geometry.
For the same reason tires vary in features like rolling resistance and puncture resistance.
For the same reason helmets vary in shape, coverage, and retention system.

My main road bike has a C17 with cutout. My gravel bike has a C17 without cutout. Both can be really comfortable...for me.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-23-23, 02:07 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
My main road bike has a C17 with cutout. My gravel bike has a C17 without cutout. Both can be really comfortable...
you have inadvertently repeated the OP’s question: why on earth do they continue making saddles without cutouts when the ones with cutouts work for everyone- ie. people who do not need cutouts are fine with having the cutouts there. The reverse is not true- people who need cutouts are not fine with the cutouts not being there.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 02-23-23, 02:17 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
I only have one bike that has a saddle with a cutout. It replaced the saddle that came with the bike which I couldn't get used to. I traded with my son for the cutout saddle which he couldn't get used to. Works fine for me however along with all the other bikes I have whose saddles don't have cutouts.
Old 02-23-23, 02:22 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I only have one bike that has a saddle with a cutout. It replaced the saddle that came with the bike which I couldn't get used to. I traded with my son for the cutout saddle which he couldn't get used to. Works fine for me however along with all the other bikes I have whose saddles don't have cutouts.
Same for me too
Old 02-23-23, 03:29 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
I'd rather ride on a center cut saddle than none. Riding without a saddle can't be good!
Likes For freeranger:
Old 02-23-23, 03:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
you have inadvertently repeated the OP’s question: why on earth do they continue making saddles without cutouts when the ones with cutouts work for everyone- ie. people who do not need cutouts are fine with having the cutouts there. The reverse is not true- people who need cutouts are not fine with the cutouts not being there.
Did I?
Or did I only speak to a specific example where both styles happened to work?

I have also had saddles where there is a model with an optional cutout and its uncomfortable. So...
Old 02-23-23, 05:19 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Many versions of bicycle saddles with cutouts, including a few that looked more or less like toilet seats, were available in the 1890s but gradually disappeared from the market as the first bike boom dwindled.

Most of the millions of people around the world who have ridden bikes for billions of miles, for primary transportation as well as for sport, have gotten along fine without cutout saddles for over 100 years.

Single datum point: of all the saddles I've ridden on since I was a kid, the only one I disliked was one that came with a bike I bought used---and it's my only saddle with a cutout.
Old 02-23-23, 06:05 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts

If you are having perineum pain from the saddle, any saddle for that matter, it is generally caused by a bad fit, usually a too high seat height, for you, or too great of reach, or drop, or a combination. Usually it is seat height. Too many people simply buy a cutout saddle instead of fixing the cause.

If the seat is too far forward it can put you on your perineum as well.

Drop your seat height.
Likes For phughes:
Old 02-23-23, 06:15 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Maybe for clarity on what I think is the intent of the question.. If the same shape/size/model saddle is offered either with or without a cutout, why would anyone ever opt for the non-cutout version?

One possibility.. stops wet road spray up from the tire into the nether regions.
Old 02-23-23, 06:18 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I pick the cut out of over none.
Old 02-23-23, 06:25 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
people who do not need cutouts are fine with having the cutouts there.
Are they? I find that many saddles without cutouts have more even weight distribution and cause less soreness. Now, some of those also make important parts go numb, so I guess there's a trade off to consider.
Old 02-23-23, 07:09 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Maybe for clarity on what I think is the intent of the question.. If the same shape/size/model saddle is offered either with or without a cutout, why would anyone ever opt for the non-cutout version?

One possibility.. stops wet road spray up from the tire into the nether regions.
Yeah, man, and when it’s cold, having a cutout really makes your junk a lot colder, too.
Old 02-23-23, 07:40 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Cutouts aren't a magic cure-all. Thus the Specialized saddles with Mimic.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...e-seat-review/

Their Power saddles work for me and as a man, I've used every type they have: vanilla, Elaston, Mimic, and the 3-D printed Mirror. The last two without cutouts are by far more comfortable.
Likes For surak:
Old 02-23-23, 08:05 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Yes, echo replies #5 and 13 - Bike fit is an important component of saddle comfort

Last edited by martianone; 02-23-23 at 08:08 PM.
Likes For martianone:
Old 02-23-23, 10:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Yes bike fit is extremely important. Your saddle cut out or lack there of might not be the issue but where that saddle is in relation to your body along with other factors on bike fit that can cause issues. I would say probably a good percentage of people who are complaining about their saddles have never had a proper bike fit and that saddle might just not be adjusted right for them and they wouldn't know. Having someone else watch you as you are pedaling and even with some 3d motion capture and then adjusting as you are riding is hard to do solo.

The general saddle I have used on many of my bikes is the Brooks Cambium Carved C17 but my mountain bike has a non cut-out Ergon as does my main commuter and that one also had a Selle Royal saddle that was stock on the bike (that got worn out over time and I just replaced it) and the two saddles aren't normally ones I would pick I have probably 5 C17s (or so) but having everything adjusted properly helped out a huge amount to where I loved a saddle I normally would have dumped quickly
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-24-23, 06:30 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by surak
Cutouts aren't a magic cure-all. Thus the Specialized saddles with Mimic.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...e-seat-review/

Their Power saddles work for me and as a man, I've used every type they have: vanilla, Elaston, Mimic, and the 3-D printed Mirror. The last two without cutouts are by far more comfortable.
Yeah, I guess technically speaking, the Mimic being an example) there are ways to build in pressure relief depressions to a large enough degree that it does similar to a full cutout. Specialized seems like an good example though, in that they don't seemingly offer even 1 model of bike saddle that doesn't have center relief of some sort: SPESH ROAD SADDLES
ie.. no models of a 'traditional' nature, eg

Old 02-24-23, 09:06 AM
msu2001la

I think you underestimate the number of people who would find a cutout saddle highly objectionable for reasons that have nothing to do with comfort and fit.
Old 02-24-23, 11:39 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
nope, at least not for me on the cutout saddle I tried.

saddles are too personal as to fit to make any sort of broad statement on fit. exampel: Some brooks work well for me, but not all brooks, so I can't say brooks saddles work for me as a broad statement

Old 02-24-23, 12:44 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I think you underestimate the number of people who would find a cutout saddle highly objectionable for reasons that have nothing to do with comfort and fit.
What's left to object to if you take out comfort and fit -- aero, weight and aesthetics ?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-24-23, 01:04 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
What's left to object to if you take out comfort and fit -- aero, weight and aesthetics ?
My point is that they'll find a reason.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.