Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Waterproof booties for shoes

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-16, 09:00 AM
SethB

Bikes: 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 5 29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey guys,

I bought some bellweather aqua no booties from eBay. After getting them, the logo wore off like instantly, long story short, I think they were some knock offs. -.-

My now question is what to do with them? Throw them away, for they do NOT keep my feet dry. Or buy some water proofing spray and try to waterproof them?

Has anyone else had any luck with water proofing sprays or can you recommend a good bootie under 40 dollars that is waterproof?

Thanks!
Old 10-04-16, 09:43 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I use waterproof hiking boots. So, not waterproof, price seemed too good to be true? Hmm.
Old 10-04-16, 10:06 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
I highly recommend a Neos overshoe. I have the Villager, which can be found on ebay for right around your $50 price point. The Neos Weatherbeater would be another, less expensive option. I'm not familiar with the Aqua No overboots, so don't know whether they are for clipless or platform. The Neos could be made to work with clipless, but they are for platform pedals.
Old 10-04-16, 11:21 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by SethB
Hey guys,

I bought some bellweather aqua no booties from eBay. After getting them, the logo wore off like instantly, long story short, I think they were some knock offs. -.-

My now question is what to do with them? Throw them away, for they do NOT keep my feet dry. Or buy some water proofing spray and try to waterproof them?

Has anyone else had any luck with water proofing sprays or can you recommend a good bootie under 40 dollars that is waterproof?

Thanks!
I haven't met a waterproof booty. For less than $40, the best ones have been thick 5-6mm neoprene with minimal seams. For greater than $40, Lake MXZ303 winter boots are seriously waterproof. Hiking boots with platform pedals work well, too.

A good front fender makes a world of difference in foot comfort. The best coverage are from full length, metal fenders with rolled edges and external hardware, plus a mudflap.
Old 10-04-16, 11:33 AM
PaulH

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
I highly recommend a Neos overshoe. I have the Villager, which can be found on ebay for right around your $50 price point. The Neos Weatherbeater would be another, less expensive option. I'm not familiar with the Aqua No overboots, so don't know whether they are for clipless or platform. The Neos could be made to work with clipless, but they are for platform pedals.
I second the recommendation for Neos. I've had mine for five years. The go on and come off in seconds -- much better than struggling with rubber overshoes.
Old 10-04-16, 03:12 PM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaulH
I second the recommendation for Neos. I've had mine for five years. The go on and come off in seconds -- much better than struggling with rubber overshoes.
Thanks all for the replies!

Would you guys recommend this? Performance Neo Booties

The only downside to buying another one is I already wasted 30 bucks on one.. I may see how much waterproofing spray is at walmart and give that a go. Unless its time I just bite the bullet and deal with the mistake.

I definitely need something that goes over the shoe for I am going back and forth to classes. I don't wanna have to change shoes, or what have you cause I won't have time.
Old 10-04-16, 04:56 PM
velocity
Dart Board

Bikes: 13 Super Six EVO Red, 2005 Six13, 2015 CAADX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gators have been verry verry good to me

gator cycling shoe covers | eBay
Old 10-04-16, 05:55 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
For $0 dollars, you can use plastic grocery bags. Use the handles to tie around your ankles (cut the handles to make them twice as long if necessary). Clip into your pedals through them. When you reach your destination, throw them away. Tie one around your leather saddle too to keep it dry. Keep a handful of grocery bags in your pannier or backpack in case of surprise rainstorms. Find some small plastic container you can stuff them into to keep things tidy; or a ziploc bag or something.
Old 10-04-16, 06:04 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Plastic bags can do the trick!
On a 200 mile tour by the Grand Canyon got poured on for about 50 miles.
Decent raingear but no booties or rain pants.
Got sprayed on by lotsa water from passing trucks.
What did we do?
We laughed and threatened to drill holes in our shoes. A memorable trip on our tandem!
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 10-04-16, 07:07 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Different approach

In the hot weather here in the Panhandle, I chose these kind of shoes. They get wet, but also dry very quickly. So basically, I just get them wet, then dry them.

T
Old 10-04-16, 08:01 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
For $0 dollars, you can use plastic grocery bags. Use the handles to tie around your ankles (cut the handles to make them twice as long if necessary). Clip into your pedals through them. When you reach your destination, throw them away. Tie one around your leather saddle too to keep it dry. Keep a handful of grocery bags in your pannier or backpack in case of surprise rainstorms. Find some small plastic container you can stuff them into to keep things tidy; or a ziploc bag or something.
This is what I do.
Old 10-04-16, 08:03 PM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, being on campus, I shop at Aldi's and use recycled bags, so I would quickly run out of grocery bags.. I hate throw awayable things lol.

Originally Posted by zonatandem
Plastic bags can do the trick!
On a 200 mile tour by the Grand Canyon got poured on for about 50 miles.
Decent raingear but no booties or rain pants.
Got sprayed on by lotsa water from passing trucks.
What did we do?
We laughed and threatened to drill holes in our shoes. A memorable trip on our tandem!
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
That sounds like a beautiful trip!! I am very jealous!!

Originally Posted by velocity
I like these... I may get them.

Originally Posted by wsgts
In the hot weather here in the Panhandle, I chose these kind of shoes. They get wet, but also dry very quickly. So basically, I just get them wet, then dry them.

T
Yes, I am in Melbourne, but my feet HATE being wet, literally 2 mins in wet shoes, I have a huge blister -.- and a weird rash.

I will probably get the "gators" posted above. I will then sell the ones I currently have labeling them as "water resistant" maybe someone could use them to simply keep their shoes clean or something..
Old 10-04-16, 08:13 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Except that they flap around, and every once in awhile get caught up in the chain or around the pedal spindle somehow. Because of that I always put neoprene covers on over the bags. Done that way, they ARE waterproof.

About the waterproofing spray idea - I did, as an experiment. spray down some old sneakers with Plasti-dip. That actually did a pretty good job of waterproofing the shoes, but too hot for ordinary use.
Old 10-04-16, 08:37 PM
SethB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Except that they flap around, and every once in awhile get caught up in the chain or around the pedal spindle somehow. Because of that I always put neoprene covers on over the bags. Done that way, they ARE waterproof.

About the waterproofing spray idea - I did, as an experiment. spray down some old sneakers with Plasti-dip. That actually did a pretty good job of waterproofing the shoes, but too hot for ordinary use.
So the neoprene booties aren't waterproof themselves???

I was gonna use the waterproofing spray to waterproof the current booties I have.
Old 10-05-16, 08:05 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Well, being on campus, I shop at Aldi's and use recycled bags, so I would quickly run out of grocery bags.. I hate throw awayable things lol.
I'm with you. I hate how grocery bags always accumulate, I just can't re-use them quick enough. And whenever I'm at the store I can't get the baggers to understand I want as few bags as possible. From conveyor to cart to car into the garage into the kitchen, I just want a couple bags to gather the small, loose items.

There's a ban on free plastic bags on the ballot in CA, maybe that will help.

Also I should use cloth bags more. I just never remember to bring them to the store.
Old 10-05-16, 06:07 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
In warm weather, I wear sandals or flip flops, that dry instantly. Cold weather, waterproof hiking boots.
Old 10-05-16, 06:49 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
So the neoprene booties aren't waterproof themselves???

I was gonna use the waterproofing spray to waterproof the current booties I have.
Not the ones I have. They will resist the water for a while, and keep my feet warm, but they'll soak through and also allow water to seep in through the open areas on bottom and around my ankles. So if I really want dry I use the plastic bags underneath.