Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any secrets for lifting yourself out of a slump? Too tired to ride!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-16, 01:07 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've slumped. I've gotten very little saddle time in for the last 3 weeks. I find it really distressing, but also unsure what to do about it.

It's not mental, it's primarily physical. It isn't even that I'm in poor health or anything like that. Just really busy, always burning the candle at both ends.

Basically, I'm just tired out.

I see various doctors regularly, everything is fine in that sense. My ferritin/hemaglobin could be a bit low again, I'm actually having that blood draw tomorrow, but this doesn't actually feel like that ... that is a "tired" that all the sleep in the world can't change. I feel great after I get enough sleep ... until I wear myself out by the end of the the next day.

Work has been very busy, too, the firm I work at has been advertising agressively for clients and it's brought in more business than we realistically can handle ... but I'm not management that decides these things.

The main thing that changed in my life is I decided 2 months ago to go back to using a personal trainer 2 sessions a week, which I really need to get back on track with strength training. Which is great in terms of my overall strength, especially upper body strength.

The downside is, that is 2 evenings a week when I can't ride, and, doing it after work, getting home 2 1/2 hours later than normal ... basically in time to do a few necessary chores (pesky dog, insists on eating and going out, lol) then go to bed. This is combined with a 3 day a week 6 AM boot camp which means I have to be out of the house by 5:15 am 3 days a week.

So, when I could be riding ... I'm often sleeping. I know, it's "healthy" in that sense ... but I wish I had the energy of years past when I could do it all. I got by with a lot less sleep when I was 10 years younger ... even 5 years ago.

Isn't it supposed to go the other way ... less sleep as you age?

Any suggestions?
Old 10-10-16, 02:50 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I would continue with the strength training and get a smart trainer for indoor training this winter. Indoor training is more convenient and is ideal during reduced daylight in the winter months.

As soon as outdoor cycling weather returns in the spring, get in more outdoor miles and reduce your strength training to make time for cycling.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-10-16 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-10-16, 03:12 PM
KBentley57

Bikes: 2010 Felt DA, 2012/6 Felt F5, 2015 Felt AR FRD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
I've slumped. I've gotten very little saddle time in for the last 3 weeks. I find it really distressing, but also unsure what to do about it.

Just really busy, always burning the candle at both ends.

Basically, I'm just tired out.

Work has been very busy, too, the firm I work at has been advertising agressively for clients and it's brought in more business than we realistically can handle ... but I'm not management that decides these things.

The downside is, that is 2 evenings a week when I can't ride, and, doing it after work, getting home 2 1/2 hours later than normal ... basically in time to do a few necessary chores (pesky dog, insists on eating and going out, lol) then go to bed. This is combined with a 3 day a week 6 AM boot camp which means I have to be out of the house by 5:15 am 3 days a week.

Any suggestions?
It sounds like you're stressed beyond the max to me, with the stress manifesting itself as general fatigue. It's hard to work out when you're stressed; I know most people say exercise relieves stress, but only if you can muster the motivation required to get out on the road. Stress/anxiety isn't good for the body, and it's especially bad for riding . While I haven't read it, the "Time Crunched Cyclist" training book is well revered for those that are limited on time. You may give it a read until the willpower comes back, maybe it's got some good tips, physical and psychological.
Old 10-10-16, 03:59 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Some trainers warn that severe overtraining can sometimes take weeks to resolve back to a normal situation. If you are in that situation there is no real solution except to rest, sleep and eat properly. If only mildly overtrained, then several days off consecutively are in order. When I've been "off my feed" lacking motivation, I take a day or two off or do very mild and short (say 10 miles) rides at a pleasant state park bordering Narragansett Bay. I also take walks in the same park, usually several miles. I think it is helpful to cause blood to circulate through the brain and muscles with no goal of accomplishing anything.
Old 10-10-16, 04:04 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
Liked 4,842 Times in 2,232 Posts
Go take a short ride, on familiar turf, where you feel safe.... not fast.
You'll work it out.
Old 10-10-16, 04:22 PM
chelvel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't it supposed to go the other way ... less sleep as you age?

Any suggestions?
While you sleep the brain assists repairing your body. As you age the repair becomes less efficient, so you need more sleep. That's it. "less sleep as you age" = X
Old 10-10-16, 05:27 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Personally, I feel fatigued and tired when I don't get out and exercise.

Here is my suggestion: Devote time to yourself, just like you do anything else. Whether it's an hour a day, or two hours every other day, allocate that time to yourself and don't give it up.

This may be selfish of me, but ... screw the dog and the other stuff (including the boot camp, if you're not enjoying it). Your personal health, happiness and well being is more important than the dog or anything else. You have to take care of yourself before you can take care of others, ya know.

YMMV of course. lol

Old 10-10-16, 05:59 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Can you bike commute to work? That's how I got time on the bike when I lived in ATL.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-10-16, 06:02 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Here in New York, where it's starting to get cold and dark early, I tend to get a bit depressed this time of year. This definitely affects my physical stamina. I passed on riding to work all last week and I don't know if I'll have the energy tomorrow morning, either.

I know, from experience, that I am never sorry when I push myself and get out there, but the challenge grows every day as we move toward winter. Are you in an area that is starting to see the effects of autumn? I wouldn't worry that there's something wrong with you. If anything, you just need to boot yourself in the butt a little harder right now.
Old 10-10-16, 06:36 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

It's not mental, it's primarily physical. It isn't even that I'm in poor healthor anything like that. Just really busy, always burning the candle at both ends.

Basically, I'm just tired out

.Any suggestions?
Originally Posted by RonH
Can you bike commute to work? That's how I got time on the bike when I lived in ATL.
I’m in a similar lifestyle situation and for me the only way to incorporate cycling is by commuting. Last week I posted to this Training and Nutrition thread, “Commute as training - just ride hard?”

Originally Posted by Jimfrom Boston
...last year I developed for myself my" Time-restricted,Personally Ambitious, but Non-competitive Cyclist Training Routine,"as discussed on this Fifty-Plus thread, “Riding versus Training” (also with other good training tips).

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
About two weeks ago I described a new training routine for myself combining a well-established Ten Week CenturyTraining Schedule of daily mileage goals with a personalized intensity scale based on ”Relative Perceived Exertion (RPE).” My basic premise was that I wanted to get significantly fit, within a busy work/family time-crunched life, but not suffer so much that I would abandon the program.

I do have the advantages of a very nice minimum 14 mile one way commute that is easily extended; and a high end, very comfortable carbon fiber roadbikethat encourages riding…
As an adjunct:

Originally Posted by Jimfrom Boston
My understanding of overall physical fitness is that the four components are endurance, strength, flexibility, and balance. For me yoga incorporates flexibility and balance

I have found over the years it to be very effective for flexibility and balance though I don’t think it necessarily helps my cycling (endurance), but I think my cycling helps my yoga..

I usually do my yoga in our office suite after hours. I need at least a carpeted floor and a large space, at least about 10 x 10 feet with about a 7 foot ceiling to do my exercises. I tell various personnel who might be comingthrough not to look because it isn’t pretty.
To prevent boredom on the Road, I have posted:
I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work. I have found that when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving. So when the commute [route] is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view….

One other whimsical technique on familiar roads is to imagine I'm riding with a certain fellow BF subscriber from the Midwest I enjoy reading, and I'm showing him around on my route. I particularly enjoy having visitors to Boston and take them on tours…
Originally Posted by Steven Wright
”I have an imaginary friend,but he won’t play with me.”
On a deeper, level, I have been greatly influenced by a book, The Power of Full Engagement ByJim Loehr and Tony Schwartz with the basic concept that “managing Energy,Not Time, Is the Key to High Performance and Personal Renewal.”

Finally, on an existential level,

Several years ago, I had lunch with a couple of MD's and the discussion turned to thevissicitudes of life, such as sudden death, and trivial symptoms that are a harbinger of a serious disease. The conclusion of our conversation was that old chestnut to live life every day to the fullest.

As we were leaving, the surgeon, a marathon runner said, "Well, any day with a run in it is a good day for me." I was already a serious cyclist for many years, but it suddenly clicked for me; any day with a ride in it is a good day for me.

Ever since then, I make a definite effort to ride my bike every day and I'm lucky to have a nice year-round cycle commute.….

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-10-16 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-10-16, 06:38 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Watch the debates, then get out of the house for a long time, thankful they aren't really making portable DTV sets.
Old 10-10-16, 07:11 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The OP does not mention a spiritual aspect to his life.

For me that means prayer and the sacraments of the Church. Whatever it is to anyone else - prayer, meditation, spiritual reading, quiet time or whatever - it is vitally important.

Life is imbalanced without it.

Ora et Labora

-Tim-
Old 10-10-16, 07:31 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I was going to say, if you go "car free"... then there isn't a lot of choice but hopping on the bike once in a while.
Old 10-10-16, 07:47 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Bike commute. Also go shopping by bike. Stop thinking of the bike as exercise, and regard it as primary transportation. Repeat after me: "bikes are transportation, cars are recreation." Dump the boot camp -- it is not necessary. Neither is the personal trainer. Who cares how much you sleep as long as you can get the job dome at work? Unless your job involves personal combat, fitness is unimportant. On the other hand, riding home from work in the moonlight, in the snow, is priceless. Just ride the bike.
Old 10-10-16, 09:23 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Shoulda mentioned that too.

I get in about 35 miles a day. Huge. And the only way I can do it is because I commute.
Old 10-11-16, 05:05 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
It's not mental, it's primarily physical. It isn't even that I'm in poor health or anything like that. Just really busy, always burning the candle at both ends.
It is mental. The schedule you created for yourself is too much. Reassess your priorities.
Old 10-11-16, 05:25 AM
EnjoyinTheRide
Its all about the cruise

Bikes: 2014 Huffy Cranbrook , 2017 Huffy Classic Deluxe, 1972 Raleigh LTD 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
We are all getting older (even the young kids). Everything effects us more today than it did yesterday even though we dont feel that way generally daily. Im 54, been very active all my life but you know there are "slumps" I get in as well. Not just cycling. ive been a charter captain most of my life, I retired out of that several years ago. I still fish Salmon in Lake Ontario. I have the boat the camp etc...everything at my fingertips....But I can be honest and say ive run into slumps with that. Do I want to go?? naaa easier to stay put and enjoy whatever....Yesterday I was pondering if I should go on my daily bike ride. I wanted to go but I didnt in the same breath.

It happens....so whats my cure..(if there is one lol) I force myself to go, yesterday I went for a shorter ride than normal ( I ride a beach cruiser) and I did end up feeling better...as soon as I got the bike on the rack lol.

good luck you wil figure something out.
Old 10-11-16, 12:52 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Dave, the fact you even care is huge. That means there is still a spark and some level of desire to ride. You will get it figured out. I can recall being in a "slump" a few years ago. I built up a new bike and the motivation to put miles on the new got me over the hump! Maybe it's not a new bike but some new accessory that gets you going again???

But if it feels like "work or a chore" to ride just don't do it. Save riding for another day when you're excited to be out on the bike. Cycling is pretty hard as it is so there's no need to attempt to create the desire if the motivation just isn't there.
Old 10-11-16, 01:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Reads like You have more Resources than I have had .. I just ride around town to get places and long ago dropped any performance Goals

Rode from SW Ireland To NE Scotland Came back Moved out of a College town to an old Fishing Town 19 years ago,
and rarely leave the city limits.
No Car, No GF ( or ex wife) bracing myself for my 69th birthday.
Old 10-11-16, 03:07 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks guys for all of the advice and input. A couple of things that hit me from the various replies.

Commuting .. wish I could, just not practical for several reasons. No locker room/shower facilities in the office building where I work, and I spend a significant amount of time out of office and not often planned in advance if there is some client crisis.

Lifestyle choices/issues - I know, I know. It's nice to say "cut out this or that" ... it's just harder to do than to say.

So here's my plan. Back to basics, make sure I'm eating right, getting vitamins and supplements I need, cutting back on the caffeine at night, drinking enough water, etc. Basic stuff.

Then start putting rides into my calendar and force myself to do it.
Old 10-11-16, 04:29 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I dropped a heavy contract because I could not ride as much.

I now work half as much and ride THREE times as much.

You need to remember, we get no do overs.

"The Two most Important days In your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why"
Mark Twain

Last edited by osco53; 10-11-16 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-11-16, 05:36 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Mark Twain was an ass.

-Tim-
Old 10-11-16, 05:50 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
IN a slump ?
Time for N+1 ?
Old 10-11-16, 06:39 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by martianone
IN a slump ?
Time for N+1 ?
That will do it for a couple of seasons at least!

Other thing is just take a few days vacation and ride. You will probably realize how much better you feel when you do, Space them though id you have not rode a lot recently.
Old 10-12-16, 03:45 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Forgot about that,, N+1 did get me out there more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.