Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How do you know it's time to just be a rider?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-16, 02:22 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

Dumb question, maybe. But, this time of year at this time of life, it's the one I've been wrestling with.

I'm 56 and, for about 15 years, my favorite cycling events have been long endurance races and gran fondos, riding for speed. This year, I and my arthritic knees already decided to give up the 200-mile gravel races. They just require too much Winter training time and physical punishment. My fallback position is to train for gran fondos that award prizes for sub-5 hour centuries. Not races, but primarily pack riding for a fast time. Still, they require quite a bit of high-intensity interval training over the Winter. I like the speed, but life would be a LOT simpler if I decided to "just be a casual rider." I don't think I can ride many sub-5 hour centuries without serious Winter training miles. Is it time to ride the centuries and gran fondos just to finish the ride? That's not much of a challenge (yet) but is it time to go that way?

If you've gone through this decision point, how do/did you know it's time to stop investing so much in speed and "just be a casual rider?" What was the tipping point for you (either way)?

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 11-10-16 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-10-16, 02:35 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
It sounds to me like you already know the answer.

I'm 50, and I used to road race, but now I ride for pleasure and to commute. Club rides, touring, and other non-race riding is what I enjoy these days. Sometimes I still like to ride fast, but the only person I'm racing is myself, haha. I don't train for anything.

Enjoy the simple pleasures of just riding for the fun of it, it's really very satisfying.
Old 11-10-16, 02:40 PM
John Montgomery

Bikes: Raleigh One Way, Specialized Hard Rock, Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, same age as you -

If you've gone through this decision point, how do/did you know it's time to stop investing so much in speed and "just be a casual rider?"What was the tipping point for you (either way)?
5 months ago TODAY, I was 'critically' injured when my bike and I were sent flying, crashed into by a fuel tanker. That's the version I've heard. I'll never actually remember. I wasn't aware of ANYTHING until several weeks later, in the hospital.

So for me, it's time to just be a rider because I enjoy riding! It makes me happy, makes me feel good, and most importantly, I'm still alive!

This may or may not help - don't decide the way I have!

JM
Old 11-10-16, 02:54 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
A local rider here took the silver in the criterium at last month's Huntsman World Senior Games in Utah. In the 80-84 division. He rides faster than me. I'm 51.

All that to say, I hope to preserve my knees (and the rest of my body parts!) to be riding for as long as I can.
Old 11-10-16, 03:26 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
When racing isn't fun anymore. I mean ... we're not paid to do this, so if it isn't fun, why bother?

Old 11-10-16, 03:35 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
When racing isn't fun anymore. I mean ... we're not paid to do this, so if it isn't fun, why bother?
You completely misunderstand. I never said racing isn't fun anymore. Racing IS fun! Racing is a blast! If it weren't, this would be a very easy call.

But training 6 days a week through the winter sometimes . . . it's tempting to stay in bed rather than hit the road when it's below freezing, still dark outside, and the clock says 4:30 a.m. But you don't get to race well if you don't put in the winter miles. It's the winter workout that lets me keep riding bikes with the youngsters. And it's the winter workout that SOMETIMES isn't any fun.
Old 11-10-16, 03:42 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I can only offer input based on my own riding experience, which never included racing or endurance rides, but used to involve mountain biking and touring for ten hours at a time on the saddle. Now that I am 54 and my back problems from 20 years ago have only gotten 20 years harder to ignore, I've given up jumping roots and bouncing over rocks and I've also significantly shortened the mileage and time of my tours.

As others have said, when something that once meant a big deal to you becomes either boring or too much of a challenge for your aging body, there's no reason to keep doing it.
Old 11-10-16, 03:49 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The struggle may be one of identity rather than activity.

If you are a racer then when you stop racing you become something else. If racing is just something you do then all you are doing is stopping an activity and your identity doesn't change.

At the end of the day I'm not a cyclist but a a father, a generous person, an adopted child of God who happens to cycle. Yeah I love it, but stopping doesn't change my life. Cycling is just something I do, not who I am, and I'm able to find other things to do.

Why not volunteer at the velodrome or start a racing team or become a League of American Bicyclist instructor or something?

-Tim-
Old 11-10-16, 03:53 PM
EastOfMidnight

Bikes: Felt F3C; Colnago Masterlight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Generally when you begin to ask the question, you're about to hang it up. Trust your gut.
Old 11-10-16, 04:16 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'm 66 and going through the same thing (mostly) as the OP but my events weren't racing but rather double centuries (ridden 75 doubles since I moved to CA in '95).

My test was to take a year off (2016) and not ride any doubles and reconsider at the end of 2016 which, as you know, is not quite here yet.

I still ride a lot (7,000 plus miles year to date), still ride centuries (rode one with 11,200 ft. of climbing last Sat.) and a lot of climbing rides (known locally as "Climb Fests") but no doubles.

Unlike the OP, my back is giving me trouble, rather than my knees. Also unlike the OP, winter training in SoCal is lots easier (weather wise anyway) than in TN.

Tentative plan for 2017 is to ride a few of the early season doubles (thinking Camino Real and Spring Solvang) and see if they are still fun (as Vic - Biker395 pointed out above). If so . . . will continue. If not, I won't feel compelled to keep training for and riding doubles.

Rick / OCRR
Old 11-10-16, 04:30 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Just enjoy the journey, don't worry about how long it takes to get to the destination.
Old 11-10-16, 05:00 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
54, and new to road cycling but i compete in moto trials and have for 40 years. do you earn a living riding your bicycle? if not then just have fun man that's what the hobby is about, have fun. don't let it consume you just have fun.
rob
Old 11-10-16, 06:20 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
What do you guys do about the sun? I am a freckled Celt who probably missed being a redhead by about two strands of DNA. I have done a DC and several centuries, and there were other times I rode in the middle of the day, but now, at age 66, I try to ride mainly in the early morning hours, sometimes in the late afternoon, and I try to avoid the midday sun as much as I can.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-10-16, 06:42 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
What do you guys do about the sun?

I'm not a Celt, but I do live where summer sun can be intense (under 100 deg and I'm thinking about getting the winter gear out). Here's how I deal with it:
  • Sun Sleeves for arms.
  • Sun Sleeves for legs.
  • Headsweats "do rag" for under the helmet (less necessary before my hair started thinning)
  • Sun Screen for face.
  • Full Finger gloves
Essentially, same approach as when dealing with very cold weather - no exposed skin. Not always the most comfortable (but not as bad as you'd think), but much better than dealing with possible consequences of excessive UV exposure.
Old 11-10-16, 08:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I knew it was time the first day I resumed cycling last year at age 57 after 30 years away. I bought a used bike, intended to ride it the three miles home and collapsed after one mile. Literally flopped onto the grass by the road. Coincidentally it was at a bus stop and the bus was only half a mile away. The driver kindly loaded my bike onto the rack and showed me how to do it for next time.

Despite having been very athletic and competitive as a younger fellow, I knew I'd never be in that kind of physical condition again (along with other injuries and health issues).

So I decided to just enjoy myself and enjoy every ride for its own sake, not with any goal in mind other than to enjoy the moment and feeling of moving under my own power again.

More than a year later I can ride 20-60 miles in a day. Not fast. My best average over 20 miles is still only 14 mph, and usually closer to 12 mph. I have a casual plan -- not a goal -- to ride a century by the end of the year. It'll probably take all day and part of the night because I'll be averaging 12 mph and taking a break every 20 miles. But the goal, if there is one, is to enjoy it, not finish it. Finishing will happen by itself if I enjoy the journey.
Old 11-10-16, 09:04 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Amen, Canklecat.
Old 11-11-16, 12:08 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts

I'm 56 also, but I have not had a "tipping point". I never will, as I never did have any use for being timed. Racing, gran fondues, nahh. If I want to ride fast, and I can ride fast, I ride fast. If not, I don't. Of course it's all relative.
Old 11-11-16, 12:54 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
A way to take the speed out if it and still keep the challenge. Do the rides on a fix gear. Forget about staying with people. Just do the ride.

I used to race. But I am a skinny climber. The work it takes to stay with the fast crowd doesn't fit with the rest of my life. But I can always jump on the fix gear and get a ride in. Even if I don't push it, I get home feeling I did something. And I get props for just finishing.

Warning: if you try this, you might just fall in love with fix gears. I was hooked my first ride 40 years ago even though I tried to coast and crashed.

If you try this, take the advice I wish I'd heard. Put tape on your seatpost exactly 1"above the frame. Lower your seat 1/4". This will make it much harder to lock or semi-lock your knee when you try to coast. You're 56. You will try. The lower your seat the less you will rip up muscles. Once you've tried a coast or two, you can put seat back up.

Ben
Old 11-11-16, 03:19 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,232 Posts
Hey Flash,
The answer is 'do what floats your boat'.
Slow or fast doesn't matter.
Maybe you need a weight training specific winter program? Cross training activity for the cold days? Fat bike? When I lose 10 pounds, it's soooo much easier to go fast!

You'll face a similar decision, several times down the road. It's the old risk/reward trade-off of staying physically active outdoors. You X-country ski? Great exercise.

ps - i grew up in Nashtown, not far from Vandy Stadium.
Old 11-11-16, 05:41 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Being I have never "raced", the question to me would be like asking when will I ride slower. That is not in my immediate plans. So, to answer your question I refer you to....
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-11-16, 07:14 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
For me, it's the tale of two sports.

Skiing--with the help of technology and good conditioning, I'm not that far off at 60 from where I was in my 20's after I retired from racing. I'm pretty sure that at some point age will take me to a place where my mind remembers promises my body can't fill. In other words, there are some measuring sticks that I will come up short against. I don't know, but I suspect that may take away the fun in a way that I no longer want to get out as much.

Cycling--I'm only 6 years into a return to biking (used it to cross train in the late 70s). After a couple of years of building up, I have hit a place speed and distance wise where I'm good to go just about anywhere and hang with most riders. How fast I go depends on who I am with. No strava for me. The battery on my computer has been out for a year. No intervals, but I work hard on the trainer when weather keeps me inside. Inside or out, I seldom miss more than a day or two every month. Because my enjoyment of cycling has never been wrapped up in performance goals, I doubt that it will diminish as I get slower and older.

To the OP--if it was me, I'd likely do what Rick did and recommends-take some substantial time with a different set of riding goals in mind and see how it fits. Call it mental training for the next phase of your cycling. You can always come back to riding against the clock and the work it entails.
Old 11-11-16, 07:38 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I knew it was time the first day I resumed cycling last year at age 57 after 30 years away.

Similar for me, although I was a few years younger when I returned. But I fairly quickly realized that enjoying the ride and trying to get significantly faster were somewhat incompatible for me.
Old 11-11-16, 08:34 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
When the temperature hits around 60° that's when I "just ride". Relative to my standards. Relative to racing and 200 mile events I've been just riding since I started.
Old 11-11-16, 08:52 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
I don't know, but I'll tell you when I get there.
The problem for me at age 53 is that when I started cycling 31 years ago I started with the sole intention of racing. I quit in 93-4 and then off and on til last year. So my mentality is not riding for ridings sake or for fitness or enjoyment but to train to get faster. Perhaps ill stop training when I lose another 20 lbs and break an hour in a 40k time trial. So it maybe another two seasons. I know if I keep living one day my training rides will turn into just rides.
Old 11-11-16, 08:53 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
We have bike computers that can tell us how fast we are going, how far we have gone and when we are at sea level.

When somebody invents a bike computer that has a "Fun Factor" mode, we'll have the answer to that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.