Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lightweight Steel Frames?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Lightweight Steel Frames?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-20, 04:31 PM
Johnk3

Bikes: Simoncini, Wilier (2), Cinelli Supercorsa, Cicli Barco XCr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
Actually there is only one custom steel bike builder unless you have one living within a mile of your home (surprisingly, many people do):

The is Waterford Precision. These are the people that built the Waterford Schwinn Paramount that was used by the old Schwinn factory racing team. After Schwinn dropped out, the team decided to make their own name bikes.

https://waterfordbikes.com These bikes are custom fitted and custom made for any and every demand from arabesque lugged touring models to spectacularly light TIG welded custom tubing road racing bikes that are at the UCI minimum weight with a set of DuraAce Di2 mounted and a good set of wheels.

I have seen many of these and am bowled over with their sheer quality and detail.
I looked at the Waterford site and quite frankly, I was not impressed at all. They are priced rather high and have a baffling and very expensive list of options. Many of their frames look clunky. The frame price does not include a fork which is not cheap, and from what I can tell, they don't even offer a stainless steel fork, only stainless crowns and dropouts. I would take my Cicli Barco TIG Columbus XCr frame any day at a price that is probably half of a Waterford with twice the craftmanship and artistic flair. Just my opinion. I studied custom frame makers for years before I chose Barco. I looked at Waterford before as well and thought they are living on the old Paramount reputation.

There are quite a few really excellent framebuilders in the US. Some of the best are very expensive, over $6,000 for a classic lugged road frame, plus they have waiting lists that can be years. Barco told me it would take 14 weeks, but it actually took about 5 months, but in their defense, Christmas holidays and the Corona Virus caused some delays. They are very communicative and responsive, I have about 100 emails with them from planning to finish work and delivery. It is a family business that has been building steel frames since 1947. If you check their Facebook and Instagram pages you will see how serious they are.

Here is a Barco Viva fork with carbon fiber steering shaft available in brushed or polished stainless steel at the same price; it is made like a piece of jewelry.

Last edited by Johnk3; 04-16-20 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-16-20, 04:56 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
Actually there is only one custom steel bike builder unless you have one living within a mile of your home (surprisingly, many people do):

The is Waterford Precision.
I don't follow. Why, in your view, is Waterford the only possible option for custom that isn't local?