Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Got a Kestrel Talon X Tri... need to make it a road bike... help ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-20, 06:27 PM
airn890

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello ladies and gents

First post here, a lot of knowledge being passed around here. I’ve been doing a lot of reading in the forums and have been gaining a lot of knowledge.

So I have been cruising around on one of my fathers old Kestrel bicycles from the 90s and have really gotten into road biking. So much so that he has taken notice of it and purchased me a new bike for my birthday!

So I have been gifted a 2020 kestrel Talon X triathlon bike from him and I am very stoked about it. I do however need to turn it back into a regular road bike by changing out the handlebars leversso I have been gifted a 2020 kestrel talon X triathlon bike from him and I am very stoked about it. I do however need to turn it back into a regular road bike by changing out the handlebars /brakes / shifters.

I believe they offer the same frame in a road bike so it definitely can be used the other way.

any help would be much appreciated

thank you in advance
Old 05-04-20, 06:42 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Well there are multiple ways of doing this. An inexpensive way and more expensive way.

Inexpensive way.
Purchase a bar of your choice that has 31.8 diameter. Use the bar end shifters that you own already and put them in the end of the new bars. Purchase inexpensive brake levers, Shimano makes some. Make sure they are for caliper brakes. Trim up cables, housing and retape the bars. Bar ends were typically used for touring bikes but there was a time that some racers used them. Around $100, sell off your other stuff. Probably will break even on this route.

More expensive way.
Purchase a bar of your choice, 31.8 diameter. Pick up Shimano 105 brake/shift levers like these. You may need new cables and of course bar tape. Around $300 if you do it yourself, give or take. Sell the original stuff, recoup some money.
Old 05-05-20, 06:54 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Bar end shifters work just fine
Old 05-07-20, 06:55 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by airn890
Hello ladies and gents

First post here, a lot of knowledge being passed around here. I’ve been doing a lot of reading in the forums and have been gaining a lot of knowledge.

So I have been cruising around on one of my fathers old Kestrel bicycles from the 90s and have really gotten into road biking. So much so that he has taken notice of it and purchased me a new bike for my birthday!

So I have been gifted a 2020 kestrel Talon X triathlon bike from him and I am very stoked about it. I do however need to turn it back into a regular road bike by changing out the handlebars leversso I have been gifted a 2020 kestrel talon X triathlon bike from him and I am very stoked about it. I do however need to turn it back into a regular road bike by changing out the handlebars /brakes / shifters.

I believe they offer the same frame in a road bike so it definitely can be used the other way.

any help would be much appreciated

thank you in advance
so much fun.
brifters.
bars.
ride piss out of it.
sweet deal.