Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

I want to like a brompton but....

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 02-20-21, 12:24 PM
jpjuggler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm interested in bike touring. the portability of a brompton is amazing. I see that people have toured with them successfully. But every time I've test ridden one, I feel scrunched. it feels two small.
any 6 feet or more riders that have felt good on a brompton? Am I doing something wrong?
Old 02-20-21, 12:51 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
At 6+ feet, did you get the extended seat pillar, the telescopic seatpost extender, and possibly the H stem?

https://www.jameshouston.com/europea.../the-brompton/

Last edited by Winfried; 02-20-21 at 12:55 PM.
Likes For Winfried:
Old 02-21-21, 08:21 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
^^This, in a nutshell. Those 3 would probably solve your issue.

Everyone is different. Brooks are wonderful too but not everybody can tour on one.
Old 02-21-21, 08:35 AM
ChilledOut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6’ 7” Brompton Rider

Originally Posted by jpjuggler
I'm interested in bike touring. the portability of a brompton is amazing. I see that people have toured with them successfully. But every time I've test ridden one, I feel scrunched. it feels two small.
any 6 feet or more riders that have felt good on a brompton? Am I doing something wrong?
Hi,
I have just ordered my 4th Brompton! My first was a Lime Green H6R with telescopic seatpost. I adored this bike but when the electric one came out I sold it and ordered one... The motor kept cutting out so it went back to the factory and had a new motor and sensors fitted... it was even worse so I got a complete refund direct from Brompton as it was one of the first. I was assured they had sorted the problems and bought another. It was a lot better but sold it during lockdown No.1 for marginally less than I paid for it as it also had issues.
I have just ordered a Cloud Blue H6R with telescopic seatpost and reduced gearing and now have to wait for its arrival.
Back to the query by the OP..... It might seem a bit strange after a full sized bike but after a couple of rides I’m sure you’ll love it.
Check out on line to see if there are any “Brompton Hire” units in your area it’s very inexpensive and worth it if there’s one nearby.
At 6ft 7ins it seems fine for me but it depends on leg length / body height.
Good Luck
Old 02-21-21, 08:50 PM
biker101

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jpjuggler
I had to extend the reach of the handlebar to feel comfortable. I now have the same geometry as on my non-folding bike.
See
https://mybikesite.org/