Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Transmission upgrade

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Transmission upgrade

Old 02-18-21, 03:06 PM
evildos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Transmission upgrade

Hi !

I would like to upgrade to electronic the transmission on my bike, which is currently full Shimano 105 2x11.

I would like to know if there are other options than Shimano Di2 if I want to keep my current crankset.

Thanks !

Last edited by evildos; 02-18-21 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-18-21, 03:10 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6174 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Your Shimano 105 crankset made for 2x11 bikes will work with any other Shimano 11 speed group regardless of whether it's Di2 or not. It'll work with a lot of other groups too. Some well, some not so well.

The 105 crankset is mostly a heavier crankset than the higher tier Ultegra or DuraAce. Shifting may or may not be quite as good, but likely if you never experienced the better, you'll never miss it.

Last edited by Iride01; 02-18-21 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-18-21, 03:23 PM
evildos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Your Shimano 105 crankset made for 2x11 bikes will work with any other Shimano 11 speed group regardless of whether it's Di2 or not. It'll work with a lot of other groups too. Some well, some not so well.

The 105 crankset is mostly a heavier crankset than the higher tier Ultegra or DuraAce. Shifting may or may not be quite as good, but likely if you never experienced the better, you'll never miss it.
Hi !
Thanks for your reply.
My question was about electronic upgrades only
There was a mistake in my original message, sorry. I corrected it.
Old 02-18-21, 03:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6174 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
If you are going to spend the money to change to a different mfr for electronic shifting, then why not spend a few bucks more and change cranksets to one of theirs? Though it's likely a 11 speed SRAM eTap will work with your Shimano crankset though if you think another system is better, get the full system so you don't compromise anything.

For sure, Shimano shows 105 5800 cranksets and later work with their Di2 stuff.

https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/co...453&acid=C-455
Old 02-18-21, 03:56 PM
evildos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advices.

11 speed etap looks like a nice option, for sure. Hard to find too. I'll give it a try on the buysell sections.
Old 02-21-21, 12:22 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by evildos
Hi !

I would like to upgrade to electronic the transmission on my bike, which is currently full Shimano 105 2x11.

I would like to know if there are other options than Shimano Di2 if I want to keep my current crankset.

Thanks !
I looked at upgrading my 105 to (Ultegra Di2) as well. The problem is right now, the cost to have a bike shop do it is around $1500 and up. You could buy the Di2 kit and try to do it on your own, but again, supply issues at Shimano is going to be something you'll have to deal with. It's still probably going to be around a $1,000 or up. In the end it didn't seem worth it to do to my $3,000 Domane (subjective statement, and your opinion will vary).
In the end, I may have done it if supply issues weren't such a pain right now and the price was a bit lower.
And yes, to echo a previous comment, when you consider how much else you're spending, upgrading to an Ultegra cassette/cranks etc, would be a minor addition.
Old 02-22-21, 02:44 AM
evildos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for the replies.

I forgot to initially mention it, sorry, but weight isn't an issue on this bike since I use it only on my Wahoo home trainer.
It doesn't even have brakes