Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

New boy says hello. 70’s steel lover!

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-21, 11:23 AM
Birdlover1961

Bikes: Early 60’s Claud Butler, lugless Philbrook, Alec Bird, Roy Thame (Alec built), De Rosa Accacio, Look 375AL (?), Alan Super 1982.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

joined this forum because I have just finished reading the fantastic Clive Stuart posts. Having known many of the characters mentioned from Ken and Alec Bird, Roy Thame and the general early 70’s cycling scene in SE London and Kent. Check out my biography, I will post a picture of my Alec Bird that Alec built for me at the end of the 70’s. Only had to work/wait some two years before he built it. I did all the finishing too and filing at his lockup over at Welling. Note I gotta post 10 posts before I can attach photos.
Enough said, more later perhaps

Perry

retired layabout.
Old 02-28-21, 11:56 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums Perry. When you attempted to post your pic it was placed in the Gallery. https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/535040

Pic Assist

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 02-28-21, 12:20 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Neat Bike.

Old 02-28-21, 01:06 PM
Birdlover1961

Bikes: Early 60’s Claud Butler, lugless Philbrook, Alec Bird, Roy Thame (Alec built), De Rosa Accacio, Look 375AL (?), Alan Super 1982.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alec Bird Bike spec

Thanks cb400bill for the update.

OK as promised here is the spec of my custom 1978/79 Alec Bird, or what I can recall any way.
The photograph is in the Gallery section.

This was built by Alec Bird for me while I slaved, sorry worked for Alec as a Saturday boy from around 1974-79 I think. Any way it was around the time when Alec had gotten over his two Ford Mexico's and consoled himself with a cream and chocolate brown 4.2 Sovereign Jaguar as the company transport, more on this later; and so to the spec...

22 3/4 inch seat tube 22 1/2 inch top tube, cannot recall the other measurements, but I think the head angle was 74 and the seat 73 1 1/2 inch fork rake overall wheel base I think it was around 38inch, but could be wrong; either way she was not twitchy and rode easy round corners. bb height was about 10 1/2 inches I think. Also very comfortable up to say 100 miles.

531 DB main top,seat and down tube, 753 fork blades.
Cinelli investment cast BB and fork crown. Cinelli braze ons and rear brake bridge Allen key fittings done later, shown with original bolt on mounts in pic. Lugs customised and cut out with Hearts filed down and shortened by myself! Reinforcements inside of fork blades, custom chain stay bridge Campag short drop outs drilled rear ones only drilled. Chain holder. double bottle cage holders. capped concaved custom seat stays fully chromed rear triangle and forks. Campag BB short cable guides. fork and stay ends done by myself in the fashionable "cut back" or "V" style of the time, just like on the Italian frames I suppose. Campag Allen Key recessed chrome steel seat bolt. Fo rthe record I seem to remember the seat stays were made of 531 DB , but for some reason they might of been 531 SL, not sure. either way she was a light steed under 20 ILBs
Paintwork. Stove enamelled Royal Gios Blue , since at the time I could not afford a real Gios at the time, and any way Alec's was way better.

Got all the Kit from Holdsworthy of Penge Oakfield road where I worked as a warehouse lad. The Chrome plating was done by a local coach builders that Alec knew, I think over at Balham or Depford. The paint Job was done by good old Mario Vaz who I worked with at the time at Holdsworthy. Mario did a few more for me in time when they went bust and where he still is today, somewhere in the Streatham Hill area?

Campagnolo:
Strada steel pedals
Record Piccolo brake callipers and levers
Record band on front mech
Nuovo Record rear mech 6spd.
Record BO gear levers
Record Eng thread BB
Record Cranks and super record 52/42 rings
Super Record S/Pin
Campag Record SF 36H hubs Chrome DB spokes Mavic GP4 rims, built by Ken Bird of course, though Alec could build a mean pair too. Clements Paris Tours Tubs.
Everest 13-18 block and chain
Cinelli suede saddle, cannot remember which Mod.
Cinelli 120mm 1A stem Cinelli 42cm Del Mondo bars could be wrong looking at the piccy.
Benotto bar ribbon TA Chrome bottle cage Christophe toeclips Binda toestraps Campag allen keys for bottle holders.

Best hand built I ever owned, and thats saying something over my De Rosa Accacio I collected from the De Rosa factory too!! About three years after building her up and racing on her I wrote her off while on a training ride going down Bromley Hill over Chislehurst way, broke my wrist and arm too, but more concerned about the bike of course! She laid in my shed for some 10 years but really un repairable. Broken TT DT fork blades and bent rear triangle, I was run over by a lorry you see, lucky to get out alive I think.
If any one is still in contact with Alec as I know some of his relations have interacted on this site, well please say hello. I was the Long haired big eared hansom one who worked with him as a Saturday boy with Mick Ford and John Wilkin some times.

Tootle pip for now.

Perry
Retired Layabout
Old 02-28-21, 01:08 PM
Birdlover1961

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Fred Miss her lots.

Old 02-28-21, 04:13 PM
Special_k44

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome!
Old 03-01-21, 06:19 AM
Birdlover1961

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks Special K😁

Originally Posted by Special_k44
Welcome!
Thanks for the welcome Special K!
Regards
Retired Layabout
Old 03-01-21, 08:27 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Howdy!
Old 03-01-21, 05:11 PM
zabicdrozda

Bikes: All-City Space Horse

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh wow that's a great bike!
Old 03-11-21, 11:02 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Welcome! You belong over in the Classic-Cintage forum.
Old 03-15-21, 12:12 PM
hoff.wd

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello and welcome!! I happen to be getting interested in steel bikes too!! Happy riding!!
Old 03-15-21, 12:14 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Welcome!