Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin software fail

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Garmin software fail

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-21, 03:16 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Originally Posted by njkayaker
???

The 800 can't connect to a phone.
Thank you for the succinct explanation!
I think there might be a breakdown in communication here. I assumed that one was thinking of Garmin Connect as the phone app, but another is thinking of Garmin Connect as the website.

It's one of the things I thought it odd for Garmin to do. Naming the phone app so similar to the Website.
Old 03-03-21, 04:42 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I think there might be a breakdown in communication here. I assumed that one was thinking of Garmin Connect as the phone app, but another is thinking of Garmin Connect as the website.

It's one of the things I thought it odd for Garmin to do. Naming the phone app so similar to the Website.
Yes, it's a bit confusing.

The phone app is typically referred to as "Garmin Connect Mobile".

In any case, for the 800, phones and Garmin Connect Mobile are irrelevant.

And, you don't have to use Garmin Connect Mobile at all (it's optional for any units that can use it).
Old 03-03-21, 05:21 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I don't know why Connect is so maligned, it's pretty good.
On my Mac it is pretty solid. On iOS it has been a bit of a stumble at times.

There is a Garmin Connect app for the Mac too and I would assume for the PC as well.

And if I were to complain about Garmin some more, it is ironic to me navigating some of the screens and features given that they are navigation devices. Some of the settings I would expect to find on my Forerunner are not where I would expect and the same is true of my Edge. Again though, that is the work of the software engineers, not the hardware engineers.

Old 03-03-21, 05:39 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

​​​​​​They're the same thing. Just two different views of that thing. You can get at your routes, see your power curves, check the mileage on your tires before you place an order, and look at your blood oxygen saturation history on the website or the app. You can even do it on the website on your phone. They look a little different, it's an all roads lead to Rome kind of thing.
Old 03-03-21, 05:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
On my Mac it is pretty solid. On iOS it has been a bit of a stumble at times.

There is a Garmin Connect app for the Mac too and I would assume for the PC as well.

And if I were to complain about Garmin some more, it is ironic to me navigating some of the screens and features given that they are navigation devices. Some of the settings I would expect to find on my Forerunner are not where I would expect and the same is true of my Edge. Again though, that is the work of the software engineers, not the hardware engineers.
Are you certain of that. The only Garmin app I have on my mac is Garmin Express. Nothing to do with Garmin Connect mobile app for phones or the Garmin Connect website.

Garmin Express is the app that Garmin used for a long time and still does for updating maps and device software and firmware. However several years ago Garmin started updating it devices through wifi for more and more of it's devices that are wifi capable.

Not all of the blame should fall on the software and firmware developers. I held some IT jobs and the ridiculous things we had to do because some higher up with no IT knowledge heard a buzz word and wanted us to do it in our stuff was a real thing we had to deal with. Sometimes placating those demands made for harder to use product.
Old 03-03-21, 05:43 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Are you certain of that. The only Garmin app I have on my mac is Garmin Express. Nothing to do with Garmin Connect mobile app for phones or the Garmin Connect website.

Garmin Express is the app that Garmin used for a long time and still does for updating maps and device software and firmware. However several years ago Garmin started updating it devices through wifi for more and more of it's devices that are wifi capable.

Not all of the blame should fall on the software and firmware developers. I held some IT jobs and the ridiculous things we had to do because some higher up with no IT knowledge heard a buzz word and wanted us to do it in our stuff was a real thing we had to deal with. Sometimes placating those demands made for harder to use product.
You're right. Garmin Express. It is always solid with no issues. I rely on the Garmin Connect app on my phone because it is easier to synch so I don't have to take off the watch. But I prefer to use the Garmin Conn... I mean Garmin Express app for updating my Edge. Wifi synching on it works well too.

Old 03-03-21, 11:24 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Every word of this. Programmers don't get to choose how the software they make is going to function. It's like being handed a blueprint, except it's a requirements doc instead. It's a product manager for the most part who decides a lot of the details of how a feature will work, and they make a lot of off the cuff decisions.
Old 03-04-21, 10:58 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
There's Garmin Express for the Mac and Windows. This is sort-of like Garmin Connect Mobile.

There isn't a Connect Mac app (unless you can run the iOS app on Macs, which might be possible "soon" if not yet).

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...Ak2ajAJSmzVSW6

People on computers use a browser to connect to the Garmin Connect website.