Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strava vs. Ride with GPS for Routes on Garmin

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-06-21, 05:54 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I just switched from a Wahoo Element to a Garmin Edge 830 bike computer and wondering whether Strava or RWG is the better route creator for the device. I had been using RWG on my Wahoo given Strava didn't support turn by turn notifications on the Wahoo. I use Strava for other things and only RWG for route creation only so wondering if it's worth just using Stava. Assuming Strava supports audible turn by turn navigation. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 03-06-21, 08:29 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
Assuming Strava supports audible turn by turn navigation.
It does.

I'll also say that Strava route building has gotten better in the last year or so. I do have the occasional problem with a phantom road block (Strava won't let me route through a certain stretch of road and I haven't found a manual workaround as is available on RwGPS), but other than that, it's been good and sync to Garmin has been fast and trouble-free.
Old 03-06-21, 08:35 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
I most recently bought a garmin 530 and was experimenting with turn by turn instructions between strava and garmin connect.
Both were very imperfect. At least compared with something like google maps.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-06-21, 08:57 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I have used RidewithGPS, Strava and Connect to create routes. RWGPS exports very well. I stopped using Strava because I didn't like the tools. I now use Connect on a computer most of the time when I'm building a route in an area I have some familiarity with. It's imperfect, but I've learned the quirks. I've never gotten lost with it, but have had a few issues with roads under construction.

A few friends use RWGPS exclusively, and when they send me a link, I download the gpx file and upload it to Connect, then send it to my 530. Works great.
Old 03-06-21, 09:08 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
I create all of my routes w/ Strava to use with my Garmin 530. The integration is seamless and it’s super easy to pull a route up. YMMV of course
Old 03-06-21, 05:14 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I wonder how people found routes and got home again before riders decided they can't leave the house without the latest technology.
Old 03-06-21, 05:23 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I know were I'm going. Never really understood the need for routes. It wastes my time to make them.

But when I've made them, I used RWGPS. Strava and other places just never quite were easy to use or I more easily wound up with a botched route on my device. However that was 10 years ago. I supposed they've all changed several times over by now.
Old 03-06-21, 05:31 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Inusuit
I wonder how people found routes and got home again before riders decided they can't leave the house without the latest technology.
You have a little piece of cardboard covering the flashing clock on your VCR, don't you?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-06-21, 05:32 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Iride01
I know were I'm going. Never really understood the need for routes. It wastes my time to make them.
You don't go places that you're unfamiliar with? Thasashame.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-06-21, 05:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by WhyFi
You don't go places that you're unfamiliar with? Thasashame.
I do. I've been all over the USA by land and air. I'll look at a map before I go and that's usually good enough. I've never needed the reassurance of a route to make me take a road I've never used. If it doesn't quite wind up where I want, then it becomes an adventure.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-06-21, 05:55 PM
WhyFi

If it doesn't quite wind up where I want...
So you know where you're going but not necessarily how to get there. Got it.

Other like to not get lost so they look at interactive maps before they go and they make few mouse clicks while doing so. It doesn't have to be tremendously time consuming to create a route.
Old 03-06-21, 06:38 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Back in the day I used maps to plan new rides, and would even write out cue sheets for really complicated new routes with lots of turns. I also didn't have a cellphone. But technology advanced, and it makes it easier for me to explore new routes and have a bailout if something goes very wrong.

​​​​​But I guess I could be cool and talk about how much better it was. Except it wasn't.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 03-06-21, 06:59 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
You have a little piece of cardboard covering the flashing clock on your VCR, don't you?
I do not!

It's masking tape.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 03-06-21, 07:05 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
I never need navigation when I'm riding from home. It's invaluable when riding roads I've never been on and I do this a lot. Worth the money.
Old 03-06-21, 08:28 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
Strava is useful for routing in totally unfamiliar areas, since they use their Heat Map history to prefer roads that are popular with cyclists.
I still use ridewithgps almost all the time. It has better tools for choosing which road among alternatives: distance, elevation, avg and max grade on hills, height of hills, etc. And easy undo-redo to try alternatives.

I think either one will pop up turn by turn prompts on modern Garmins.

~~~
"back in the day", when I was leading rides with only cue sheets, we really wanted to simplify the routes. Now, there's no need to avoid lots of turns.

Using bike GPS and online route creation, we've refined routes repeatedly, substituting better alternate roads, or combining two good routes into one amazing one, and exploring a lot of new areas.

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-06-21 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-06-21, 08:58 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I like the ability to easily use street view with RWGPS. I like to look at where I'm planning to ride. Strava gave up on using Google maps a few years ago so not street view.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 03-06-21, 09:57 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
RWGPS. I use it for planning hikes, too.
Old 03-07-21, 08:25 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
I like the ability to easily use street view with RWGPS. I like to look at where I'm planning to ride. Strava gave up on using Google maps a few years ago so not street view.
RWGPS -- maybe it's a related reason to your mention, but RWGPS while route designing, labels local stores/restaurants and POIs, etc.
Strava, unless I missed a setting somewhere, does not. Ability to route past potential rest stops or snackage suppliers can be important.

Also, and maybe again just not really trying with Strava, but Strava seems to yield way too many directional prompts -- not just "turn right onto XXX", but then followed by "proceed onto XXX" and sometimes also adding a further "continue on XXX" a tiny bit later. It wasn't obvious how one can see all of the cues that would end up in a TCX file, without selecting the "print" function, nor how to delete unnecessary individual cues.
Old 03-07-21, 08:39 AM
Grouperdawg

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

But when I've made them, I used RWGPS. Strava and other places just never quite were easy to use or I more easily wound up with a botched route on my device. However that was 10 years ago. I supposed they've all changed several times over by now.
It’s a really nice thing to have in group rides, every club I ride with sends one out so everyone is in sync, even if you just look at it before the ride. There’s no way I could memorize these rides beforehand. Plus one or two guys isn’t stuck up front bc they are they are the only one that knows where we are going. I live in a very spread out very large city and weekend rides are often to other cities and in town rides can have a lot of turns

I mostly use garmin connect but it has its issues. Ride with gps doesn’t always download for some people with garmins from their iphones to connect. Strava is easy to download on the garmin but I’ve never created one in strava
Old 03-07-21, 08:48 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Also, and maybe again just not really trying with Strava, but Strava seems to yield way too many directional prompts -- not just "turn right onto XXX", but then followed by "proceed onto XXX" and sometimes also adding a further "continue on XXX" a tiny bit later. It wasn't obvious how one can see all of the cues that would end up in a TCX file, without selecting the "print" function, nor how to delete unnecessary individual cues.
I always had this problem with RwGPS on my Wahoo. The directions on my Garmin, laid out on Strava, haven't been nearly as obnoxious.
Old 03-07-21, 09:17 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I always had this problem with RwGPS on my Wahoo. The directions on my Garmin, laid out on Strava, haven't been nearly as obnoxious.
Interesting. I only have a big issue with that with RwGPS when using the Auto-Trace function when using a past ride to generate a route.
Old 03-07-21, 10:44 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
I love the RWGPS with Garmin combination especially since they now have a ConnectIQ app for wireless transfer. Have tried the others but I became comfortable with RWGPS some swear by Komoot but not happy with the routes created. The new Heat Map features are amazing as can find where people ride as well as check on street view while creating route.
Old 03-07-21, 10:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Grouperdawg
It’s a really nice thing to have in group rides, every club I ride with sends one out so everyone is in sync, even if you just look at it before the ride. There’s no way I could memorize these rides beforehand. Plus one or two guys isn’t stuck up front bc they are they are the only one that knows where we are going. I live in a very spread out very large city and weekend rides are often to other cities and in town rides can have a lot of turns

I mostly use garmin connect but it has its issues. Ride with gps doesn’t always download for some people with garmins from their iphones to connect. Strava is easy to download on the garmin but I’ve never created one in strava
It's great to have a reply that tells me a real reason why you like to have and use that feature.

My son uses routes too all the time for our rides. But I never understand why since we are fully familiar with where we are going. However I have been on organized rides with him and he'd claim we needed to turn, but I knew the route and we didn't. On those same rides where he was showing a false turn, we also witnessed others that made the turn. Presumably something bad in the course file the organizer provided.
Old 03-08-21, 04:30 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
It's great to have a reply that tells me a real reason why you like to have and use that feature.

My son uses routes too all the time for our rides. But I never understand why since we are fully familiar with where we are going. However I have been on organized rides with him and he'd claim we needed to turn, but I knew the route and we didn't. On those same rides where he was showing a false turn, we also witnessed others that made the turn. Presumably something bad in the course file the organizer provided.
There is a few other reasons to follow a route on a ride you already know. One is climbpro feature which assists with pacing on a climb as well you and run your eta for completion as well. I rarely use it but may on a long 3,000 ft climb close to home.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 03-10-21, 07:06 AM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
Strava won't let me route through a certain stretch of road and I haven't found a manual workaround as is available on RwGPS.
Until the alternatives add the manual 'Draw Lines' feature, only RideWithGPS is of any use here. Strava, Google, and a few others I've tried refuse to cross the rural low-water crossings (which are dry 345 days of the year). Another scenario around here is crossing from a main road to the end of a cul-de-sac: the 20ft of grass is all public easement, but the software won't allow you 'off the roadway'.

The result in these cases is usually a 10 to 20 mile detour; with RWGPS, you can simply manually draw the route-line you need, then flip the switch to go right back to following roads.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.