Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dropped into LBS for Chain Lube

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-19, 06:45 PM
danallen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Picture denied, not enough posts yet.
Ten speed Ultegra cs-6700 - can you tell by looking at this picture if these cogs are OK?

I just put a new chain on my bike. I thought the cogs looked OK. Have had no problems till now. Now, it seems I cannot get the gears indexed. They keep acting as if the derailleur is between gears. I try tightening the cable with the barrel adjuster, loosening... On the bike stand, pedaling by hand, sooth shifting. I start riding, chachunk... Chunk... Cha-cha, CHUNK...

Am I going to have to become the proud owner of a new cassette to run this new chain?

What are your thoughts?

Thank you.
Old 11-24-19, 06:59 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
How many miles on that cassette and the old chain. It sure sounds like the cogs are not matching up with the new chain. Not unusual it they had a lot of miles.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 11-24-19, 07:03 PM
sour01
Rid'n Rev

Bikes: 2007 Felt F55, Vintage Univega, 2012 Specialized Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I learned this the hard way. How long had you used the old chain before changing it? Did you compare the new chain's length with the old to see how much wear? The first chain I ever replaced on my old bike was OLD and the new chain jumped cogs like crazy. Like your situation - everything worked fine on a stand.
Likes For sour01:
Old 11-24-19, 07:31 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,777 Posts
Originally Posted by danallen
One more post gets you to ten. Then you can post pics
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 11-24-19, 07:45 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Cassette skips on a new chain = new cassette. You don't need a Park chain checker but it sure is convenient.
Likes For popeye:
Old 11-24-19, 07:47 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I just put a new chain on my bike.
Did you put the chain on the right way? The outer plates are different between the two sides of 10-speed and 11-speed Shimano chains, and the correct plates need to face outward.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 11-25-19, 12:28 AM
danallen

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Did you put the chain on the right way? The outer plates are different between the two sides of 10-speed and 11-speed Shimano chains, and the correct plates need to face outward.
The new chain is SRAM PC 1051. The LBS said this chain works with Shimano.

Maybe I put on backward. I did not notice any difference in how the links are marked on the two sides, so I put it on so the labels are oriented right side up on the top from top of rear derailleur to chain ring, when viewed from right side of the bike.

Last edited by danallen; 11-25-19 at 08:00 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 11-25-19, 12:31 AM
danallen

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sour01
I learned this the hard way. How long had you used the old chain before changing it? Did you compare the new chain's length with the old to see how much wear? The first chain I ever replaced on my old bike was OLD and the new chain jumped cogs like crazy. Like your situation - everything worked fine on a stand.
I bought this bike used about a year ago on eBay for $700. It is a madone 5.1 model year 2009 I think I've riden it maybe a thousand miles or more since I got it. I don't know how old chain was. I did check the length of the chain removing extra links for the new chain so that it would match the length of the old chain. Possible that I didn't get that exactly right, because I'm not sure correctly took into account the master link or whatever it's called that connects the chain together so I'll check that

Last edited by danallen; 11-25-19 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-25-19, 12:32 AM
danallen

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

This is the cassette
Old 11-25-19, 12:41 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
The new chain is SRAM P1051. The LBS siad this chain works with Shimano.

Maybe I put on backward. I did not notice any difference in how the links are marked on the two sides, so I put it on so the labels are oriented right side up on the top from top of rear derailleur to chain ring, when viewed from right side of the bike.
Does the quick link have any markings on it indicating direction? Some SRAM chains are non-directional for the normal links, but have a directional quick link.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 11-25-19, 06:46 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,404 Times in 2,744 Posts
Time for a new cassette. You have unknown mileage on that one and you can't judge wear by looking at it.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-25-19, 09:37 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Chain skip normally occurs on only a few of the most- worn sprockets and then only upon heavy pedaling pressure.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 11-25-19, 06:57 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
You don't have a 6700 cassette - the lockring is clearly labelled: 7800, meaning Dura-Ace, unless someone inexplicably swapped out your lockring. The cassette doesn't look particularly worn, although if the original owner of the bike was putting in any decent miles, the chain should have been replaced at least a dozen times since purchase, and the cassette replaced 4+ times.

7800 cassettes new cost around $250 when you could get them; even used now they will fetch $50 at least. I am sure your local shop would be pleased to take this used and worthless cassette off of your hands for replacement. Then out the back door onto Ebay for mechanics beer fund money.

Are all of the cogs skipping, or only a few? Or is the problem with the chainrings? Or a mangled or mis-installed quick link? Too many vague clues here.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 11-25-19, 08:02 PM
danallen

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Does the quick link have any markings on it indicating direction? Some SRAM chains are non-directional for the normal links, but have a directional quick link.
Yes. There is an arrow on the quick link, which is pointing in the correct direction.
Old 11-25-19, 08:06 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Yep. Plus I usually find my most used chainring will start jumping after about every 3rd cassette change, usually only on out of the saddle efforts.
Old 11-25-19, 09:22 PM
danallen

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
You don't have a 6700 cassette - the lockring is clearly labelled: 7800, meaning Dura-Ace, unless someone inexplicably swapped out your lockring. The cassette doesn't look particularly worn, although if the original owner of the bike was putting in any decent miles, the chain should have been replaced at least a dozen times since purchase, and the cassette replaced 4+ times.

7800 cassettes new cost around $250 when you could get them; even used now they will fetch $50 at least. I am sure your local shop would be pleased to take this used and worthless cassette off of your hands for replacement. Then out the back door onto Ebay for mechanics beer fund money.

Are all of the cogs skipping, or only a few? Or is the problem with the chainrings? Or a mangled or mis-installed quick link? Too many vague clues here.
I am really glad you pointed out the label on the lock ring. All the other components are marked Ultegra. When I checked the Trek archive awhile back, I failed to notice the original cassette was 105, not Ultegra or Dura Ace. What is on there now appears to be Dura Ace 7800 12-27 I found a 7800 new but with different number of teeth for $150:

New 6700 is available for about $60.

Not all cogs are affected. I read somewhere this problem can settle down after putting on a new chain. The problem was worse, now it is affecting 2-3 cogs in the middle of the rear cassette, when running the small chain ring.

The quick links appears correctly installed and moves as freely as any of the other links.

The chain rings are not jumping at all.
Old 11-25-19, 09:26 PM
danallen

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Every single comment is helpful, thank you.
Old 11-25-19, 09:48 PM
eflayer

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
chain routed correctly through the derailleur pulleys?

I have replaced about a zillion chains. In my haste a couple of chains ago, I accidentally threaded the chain over one of the metal guides on the rear derailleur. I rode the bike for a number of miles but things were not shifting just right. Came home to find out I screwed up how chain was routed. Fixed in about 2 minutes.
Likes For eflayer:
Old 11-25-19, 11:45 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by eflayer
I have replaced about a zillion chains. In my haste a couple of chains ago, I accidentally threaded the chain over one of the metal guides on the rear derailleur. I rode the bike for a number of miles but things were not shifting just right. Came home to find out I screwed up how chain was routed. Fixed in about 2 minutes.
I bought a second hand MTB mid year. Broke a rear spoke about a month later (maybe 100 miles on it by then). LBS mechanic fixed the chain routing for me while he did the wheel. No idea how long the original owner had been riding it like that.

OP I am disappointed, I clicked thinking this was going to be a new bike thread.
Likes For znomit:
Old 11-26-19, 07:22 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
IME chain skip is more often caused by
a misaligned [derailleur] hanger
than by a worn cassette, and we never think of the derailleur hanger first.

Last edited by nycphotography; 02-25-20 at 01:51 PM.
Likes For nycphotography:
Old 11-26-19, 09:35 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts

This is the cassette
It looks used, but not worn-out to a point where you absolutely need to change it. However, if I were you, I'd change it & maximise your new chain's lifespan.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 11-26-19, 10:10 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
IME chain skip is more often caused by a misaligned hanger than a worn cassette, and we never think of the derailleur hanger first.
+1 on checking this. Your photo of the rear triangle shows heavy wear on the paint and the cassette is really dirty. Sounds like your bike is heavily used, not lightly used.

How do rear dropouts outs suffer that type of paint chipping? Just curious.
Likes For masi61:
Old 11-26-19, 12:45 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Ten speed Ultegra cs-6700 - can you tell by looking at this picture if these cogs are OK?

I just put a new chain on my bike. I thought the cogs looked OK. Have had no problems till now. Now, it seems I cannot get the gears indexed. They keep acting as if the derailleur is between gears. I try tightening the cable with the barrel adjuster, loosening... On the bike stand, pedaling by hand, sooth shifting. I start riding, chachunk... Chunk... Cha-cha, CHUNK...

Am I going to have to become the proud owner of a new cassette to run this new chain?

What are your thoughts?

Thank you.
Hanger isn't aligned.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 11-26-19, 07:34 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,055 Posts
hanger is bent
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 11-26-19, 11:14 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
heavy wear on the paint and the cassette is really dirty.
And something is taped together on the NDS?

What are we looking at?

Now that you can post photos, OP, maybe you'd like to post a couple more showing us more of the bike?
Likes For goenrdoug:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.