Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Group Rides and Social Distancing.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Group Rides and Social Distancing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-20, 07:08 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Well, I was on a small group ride today, and I did flinch when I felt a drop of sweat on my face that I was pretty sure had come from the rider in front of me. Sweat doesn't itself carry the virus, unless it's coming from a skin surface (e.g., the face) that does....

The level of risk may be hard to gauge.
Old 03-14-20, 02:02 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, health care work can be grueling. I pulled lots of double shifts in my 20s, sometimes out of necessity, other times just to make extra money. It's still stress even when we aren't coerced and enjoy the work.

When we're young and fit everything seems to come naturally, more easily, and we tend to rebound quickly. So it's easy to tell ourselves "Hey, I can do one more hour... one more shift... skip that day off..." But it's cumulative stress.

I don't take those chances anymore. If I feel a nap attack I don't fight it off anymore. Besides, as soon as I lie down my cats pile on to weigh me down so I can't get up anyway.
Old 03-14-20, 03:22 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
The average person is literally incapable of assessing the risk of catastrophic events. There is absolutely zero risk that grocery stores will close because of this. It's a pandemic not a hurricane. Next week the shelves will all be restocked except for maybe the hand sanitizer and some cleaning supplies that will take a few weeks to replenish. Luckily Carbonfiberboy comes to the rescue again with a homebrew recipe if the ingredients are still available.
What I have read is that the alcohol base has to be 70%. I can't find alcohol at all around here.
Old 03-14-20, 03:26 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
As for my clubs' group rides....I won't be doing our typical B ride. Those groups are typically 12-20 riders. Although we have taken to splitting the group once it gets around 12. I'm fine with riding alone or with a very few others. I started doing that last year because the average recreational rider has no idea what bike handling and safe group riding are about.
Old 03-14-20, 07:35 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
710 feet elevation gain and loss over 5.26 miles today, on skis. There were a handful of people on the trails, but not many, and nobody was close to anybody else for more than the second or two it takes to pass. I passed with more room than normal, far end of the skate lane.

The outdoors is general safe from C19, just maintain 6 feet of personal space.
Old 03-15-20, 06:46 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
No changes yet where I am.
Group rides with shared water bottles and lots of high 5’s 👍
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 03-15-20, 09:48 AM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Healthy people aren't going to die from this virus, so you avoid social contact to slow the outbreak, not to keep yourself safe.

If you care enough to read a pretty long article, this one does a very good job of explaining the difference in outbreaks in countries that took this seriously (China) and ones that did not (Italy). Right now, the US is forecast to look a lot more like Italy than China, which means doctors deciding who gets to live on a ventilator and who dies because we don't have enough for everyone.

For the good of other people I'll be avoiding as much social contact as I can for the next two weeks at least, maybe longer. I'm still doing solo rides but no group rides until we have a handle on this.
I'll ride with others, but at a greater distance. It's not only about staying healthy. It's also about not becoming a carrier.
Old 03-15-20, 09:51 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
I'll ride with others, but at a greater distance. It's not only about staying healthy. It's also about not becoming a carrier.
Assume you're already a carrier. It's about you infecting other people.

Last edited by kingston; 03-15-20 at 11:25 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-15-20, 10:43 AM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Assume you're already are a carrier. It's about you infecting other people.
True, which is why we ride without drafting. But if we want to go to the extreme, we probably aren't safe driving our cars in traffic either.
Old 03-15-20, 10:51 AM
Seattle Forrest

C19 has a slightly higher chance of killing a person than traffic, believe it or not.

What else do you do with a 1% chance of dying from it? If driving in traffic was comparable, we'd all die 3 times per year.

I'm taking a small risk, so I should take big ones too, that doesn't make sense.
Old 03-15-20, 11:38 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
I'm retired, and plan to stay at home, away from people. Hospitals are going to be over full soon.

Is there a risk in driving a car in traffic? Could be, just from air pulled into the car? I've not heard any warnings on this, so far.

I think bike riding on country roads in low traffic is reasonably safe. There's very little airborne virus particles out there.

So far, I still plan to ride, but will likely back off the pace so I don't need to draft to keep up. Riding in pairs, side by side, would limit exposure to / from the other rider. I ride with a few riders that don't ever ride solo.
The riders I go with aren't good at splitting into groups, though. They tend to chase any riders gapped off the front of the group, and can't easily stick to small groups where the traffic is busy and we are trying to leave gaps for cars to use. I'll have to think about this some more.

No restaurant stops after the ride, and even no store stops during the ride. Slower and shorter small group rides for now. Mix with hard solo rides.
Old 03-15-20, 11:51 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
What I have read is that the alcohol base has to be 70%. I can't find alcohol at all around here.
5-8% bleach concentration works for disinfectant. Leave it on a surface for 1-2 minutes & I advise wear gloves at that concentration and try not to breathe too much of the fumes.

If you can't find any hand disinfectant, simply vigorous soap and water is also effective. Less than a disinfectant but still effective.

You can also find denatured alcohol if the stores are out of rubbing alcohol. Fortunately, good whiskey or bourbon isn't high enough proof so there's no need to waste it.
Old 03-15-20, 12:16 PM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Being around other people for longer than 15 minutes typically exacerbates my misanthropy. So COVID-19 is one more excellent weapon in my otherwise dwindling arsenal of excuses not to go on group rides.
Old 03-15-20, 03:59 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Everclear. Ethanol, drinking alcohol works
but the total alcohol level has to be 60 or above. So Vodka at your liquor store won’t work. Grain alcohol, like Everclear, which is much higher proof, can.

and if you have extra, you can make purple Jesus.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-15-20, 04:12 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Everclear. Ethanol, drinking alcohol works
but the total alcohol level has to be 60 or above. So Vodka at your liquor store won’t work. Grain alcohol, like Everclear, which is much higher proof, can.

and if you have extra, you can make purple Jesus.
If you really want to use your vodka for disinfectant I suppose you could try freezing it and pouring the alcohol into a container. Since water freezes at a higher temperature. I haven't tried that but I think it would work.
Old 03-15-20, 04:13 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
a tangential issue is how hard do you want to ride. Moderate exercise is good for your health.

very hard exercise, particularly beyond your current fitness level can suppress your immune system.

calorie restriction, added to high training stress, makes matter worse.

Personally, getting ready for a race in France in August, where I need to be way more fit and way lighter, I’m kinda in a box
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-15-20, 05:09 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
and this....

"USA Cycling is recommending cancellation of all sanctioned events immediately and calling on all race and event directors, clubs, coaches, athletes, and members to postpone or cancel all scheduled races and events immediately. This includes any gatherings such as group rides, in-person group meetings, etc."

https://www.usacycling.org/article/u...nt-on-covid-19
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 03-15-20, 05:12 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
a tangential issue is how hard do you want to ride. Moderate exercise is good for your health.

very hard exercise, particularly beyond your current fitness level can suppress your immune system.

calorie restriction, added to high training stress, makes matter worse.

Personally, getting ready for a race in France in August, where I need to be way more fit and way lighter, I’m kinda in a box
So many don't understand this. Peaking is not that good for much more than going faster on the bike.
I just txted junior this AM to back off, although he is so isolated, I doubt he could find the bug if he wanted to.
Old 03-15-20, 05:19 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
5-8% bleach concentration works for disinfectant. Leave it on a surface for 1-2 minutes & I advise wear gloves at that concentration and try not to breathe too much of the fumes.

If you can't find any hand disinfectant, simply vigorous soap and water is also effective. Less than a disinfectant but still effective.

You can also find denatured alcohol if the stores are out of rubbing alcohol. Fortunately, good whiskey or bourbon isn't high enough proof so there's no need to waste it.
Do NOT use denatured alcohol to make homebrewed hand sanitizer. The things that denature alcohol are NOT good things to absorb through your skin. Please be careful, verify your ingredients and sources of information, and stay happy and healthy! Remember, hand sanitizers are only a temporary stop-gap measure to keep the number of pathogens lowered until you can properly wash your hands. Using them is much better than doing nothing, but they are not 100% effective at killing every organism out there. You could be safe from lots of things by using hand sanitizer, but still be exposed to some GI pathogens and other viruses.
Old 03-15-20, 06:12 PM
woodcraft

Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
C19 has a slightly higher chance of killing a person than traffic, believe it or not.

What else do you do with a 1% chance of dying from it? If driving in traffic was comparable, we'd all die 3 times per year.

I'm taking a small risk, so I should take big ones too, that doesn't make sense.

Are you comparing the risk of dying if you already have the virus to the risk of dying from each car trip or what?

It looks to me like if you are in a car crash, there's about .6% chance of dying from that crash, so in that sense, you're right.

People in the US die from car wrecks at a rate of about 100/day, so close to 5,000 so far this year.

The auto pandemic.
Old 03-15-20, 06:58 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
I have a Wednesday group ride that typically has 10-20 riders.

This week, I plan to run it like a TTT. Groups of 3 or 4 riders will set out at 1 minute intervals. That seems to be a reasonable compromise.
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-15-20, 07:51 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Do NOT use denatured alcohol to make homebrewed hand sanitizer. The things that denature alcohol are NOT good things to absorb through your skin. Please be careful, verify your ingredients and sources of information, and stay happy and healthy! Remember, hand sanitizers are only a temporary stop-gap measure to keep the number of pathogens lowered until you can properly wash your hands. Using them is much better than doing nothing, but they are not 100% effective at killing every organism out there. You could be safe from lots of things by using hand sanitizer, but still be exposed to some GI pathogens and other viruses.
Also don't use the cosmetics and skin care products which list denatured alcohol in the ingredients.

But if you want to use it for cleaning (which is what it's for), or even for handwashing within reason, you'll be fine.
Old 03-15-20, 10:13 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Also don't use the cosmetics and skin care products which list denatured alcohol in the ingredients.

But if you want to use it for cleaning (which is what it's for), or even for handwashing within reason, you'll be fine.
Enjoy.
Old 03-15-20, 10:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Are you comparing the risk of dying if you already have the virus to the risk of dying from each car trip or what?

It looks to me like if you are in a car crash, there's about .6% chance of dying from that crash, so in that sense, you're right.

People in the US die from car wrecks at a rate of about 100/day, so close to 5,000 so far this year.

The auto pandemic.
Somebody told us if you're concerned about coronavirus, you better not drive a car either, because that can be dangerous too. And I'm saying don't be daft. The act of driving a car isn't comparable to having C-19. Being in an accident or a high speed chase with police are more dangerous than just driving, but also much rarer. But the claim I'm responding to isn't about being in an accident, it's about driving at all.

As far as 100 people dying per day out of 325 million: Italy reports 368 coronavirus deaths in 24 hours. Iran announced more than 100 people have died in the past 24 hours

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...054153018.html

​​​​​​I'm not saying car accidents are great, I'm saying driving isn't anywhere near as dangerous as being infected with a deadly virus.
Old 03-15-20, 11:18 PM
woodcraft

Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Somebody told us if you're concerned about coronavirus, you better not drive a car either, because that can be dangerous too. And I'm saying don't be daft. The act of driving a car isn't comparable to having C-19. Being in an accident or a high speed chase with police are more dangerous than just driving, but also much rarer. But the claim I'm responding to isn't about being in an accident, it's about driving at all.

As far as 100 people dying per day out of 325 million: Italy reports 368 coronavirus deaths in 24 hours. Iran announced more than 100 people have died in the past 24 hours

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...054153018.html

​​​​​​I'm not saying car accidents are great, I'm saying driving isn't anywhere near as dangerous as being infected with a deadly virus.

In your previous post, you seemed to suggest that they were of similar danger- "C19 has a slightly higher chance of killing a person than traffic"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.