Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need clipless advice - Speedplay FTW?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Need clipless advice - Speedplay FTW?

Old 02-23-21, 05:31 PM
purpurreiher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drewguy
Which version (color) of cleat do you have? If you have the red (9 deg) perhaps you have them set with too much play to the outside, and you're riding with your feet not centered within the full range of play? That would mean you need to rotate your heal even further out, which could be difficult.

I'm just taking another stab - I haven't had problems with my Keos - at least not disengaging (getting the pedal in the right position to step has sometimes been a problem).
I have the grey ones which I think should be fine for someone who's new to Kéos.

After reading the replies here and reading more about Speedplay, I think switching to a different system isn't really going to be the solution for me. I think I just need to work on my technique a little more. I've started clipping in and out more frequently on my rides just to practice. It still feels much easier for the first half of my ride, then gets more difficult. But I'm starting to see where my problems lie - the exact pedal position, which gear I'm in, etc. all matter quite a bit. And it's actually easier when I don't overthink it, so I'll continue practicing some more before I give Speedplays or Times a try.
Old 02-24-21, 07:59 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
FWIW, I probably grease the pedals twice a year or so. Lubing the cleats every 1-2 rides is asinine - I'll do that maybe 4 times per year and it's just a few drops of some Finish Line dry lube. It's not a biggie.

Break in is real, but so is first-time install woes - most people overtighten their first set, often to the point that clipping in is next to impossible. There's a reason that they have Loctite on the screws - they're meant to be lightly torqued. Set up properly, they're easy in and easy out and only moderately more difficult upon install.
Originally Posted by bahula03
Agree with what WhyFi said- over tightening the cleats will bind the spring and make it extremely tough to clip in, and even worse trying to get out. Speedplay wants the pedals lubed that frequently so that the edge of the cleat/spring is lubed which, from my experience, makes absolutely no difference to the function or durability of the pedals or cleats. Making sure the spring can rotate freely within the cleat is the important thing, which doesn't require much maintenance under "normal" circumstances.
I will admit to having overtightened them at first, and but then even after redoing it, and getting a decent clip in/out action, it was still difficult (maybe they were still too tight? I dunno, but I prefer to be able to adjust the tension on the pedal, so much easier). Just too much for me to care to deal with, when all of the Shimano pedals I've had, SPD-SL and SPD, have been easy to use from day one and basically maintenance free. To each his own, I know a lot of people like Speedplay, which is part of what lead me to try them, but they're just not for me. Too much hassle for a few watts gained with the aero model. Again, I could see it on a TT/Tri bike, where you're after every marginal gain, but not on a road bike that's going to see 10,000+ miles/year.
Old 02-24-21, 08:33 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I will admit to having overtightened them at first, and but then even after redoing it, and getting a decent clip in/out action, it was still difficult (maybe they were still too tight? I dunno, but I prefer to be able to adjust the tension on the pedal, so much easier). Just too much for me to care to deal with, when all of the Shimano pedals I've had, SPD-SL and SPD, have been easy to use from day one and basically maintenance free. To each his own, I know a lot of people like Speedplay, which is part of what lead me to try them, but they're just not for me. Too much hassle for a few watts gained with the aero model. Again, I could see it on a TT/Tri bike, where you're after every marginal gain, but not on a road bike that's going to see 10,000+ miles/year.
That's fine - prefer what you want to prefer - I was just letting you (and others without experience) know that your objections were likely due to poor set-up and unrealistic maintenance expectations. Once you know how to set them up properly, it's quite easy and there's very little maintenance, 'specially when you factor in cleat longevity. Annual mileage is really neither here nor there, though I appreciate your attempted gatekeeping.
Old 02-26-21, 01:31 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I have very difficult time turning my feet out to get released from mnt bike and road bike pedals. Some of this is because my feet naturally point toes out and some of this is my bad knees from my motorcycle accident. It's actually stressful for to use mnt bike and or road bike pedals when going up a very steep hill and my speed drops to about 3mph where the bike almost wants to stop.

I tried speed play pedals. There are 10x easier to get out of and are easier on my knees while doing 2+ hour rides.

The only down side at least for me is there are not as good when you stand up and sprint. They seemed to float too much when are you standing and spinning 100+ rpm. The are fine standing going up a hill slow.