Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Effect of the Container ship incident on Trek backlog

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Effect of the Container ship incident on Trek backlog

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-21, 08:30 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Are any Treks made in Wisconsin?
If so, why are they on a container ship from China?
My 2015 Emonda SLR Project One was made in Wisconsin, but they moved even the Project One frames to China.
Old 02-15-21, 12:07 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Wheelforfun
It may well be something that fascinates me. You might try being more useful and suggest some other shipping websites, since you do not offer anything on the questions from original post.
The questions from the original post were preceded by a ridiculous reference to lost shipping containers.
You should be thankful you received any serious replies.
Maybe you should have posted on a shipping forum as opposed to road cycling?

Last edited by downhillmaster; 02-15-21 at 12:11 AM.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 02-15-21, 01:18 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
My 2015 Emonda SLR Project One was made in Wisconsin, but they moved even the Project One frames to China.
China or Taiwan?
Old 02-15-21, 06:51 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
More from this article, the shipping company reported that 1816 containers were lost, and 64 of them were believed to contain dangerous goods.
?
Those would be all the asploding CF frames.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-15-21, 07:55 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Does Trek make good bikes???
Old 02-15-21, 08:05 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
...dangerous goods.
Shouldn't that be "bads?"
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-15-21, 08:15 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Spectre is just another name for Specialized.
That was supposed to be a secret.
Old 02-15-21, 08:23 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
It may well be something that fascinates me. You might try being more useful and suggest some other shipping websites, since you do not offer anything on the questions from original post.
It's really on you to communicate better.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 02-15-21, 08:27 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
They are, but which country in Cambodia is anybody's guess.
There is only one country in Cambodia...
Old 02-15-21, 08:32 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
There is only one country in Cambodia...
Ah, but what country is it? Again, I think it's anybody's guess.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-15-21, 08:37 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
I received this message at work from one of our vendors.

COVID-19 hit waterfront workforce hard

The COVID-19 pandemic has severely affected the longshore labor force in Los Angeles-Long Beach, with more than 600 known cases and 12 deaths since Dec. 1, according to the Pacific Maritime Association (PMA), the West Coast port employers’ association, and the International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU).

Skilled equipment operators, who take deliveries of containers from trucks and lift the boxes into and out of the container stacks and are essential to a terminal’s operations, are in especially short supply, according to the PMA. As a result, the PMA and ILWU joint committee that each day assigns workers to the terminals has cut back on allocations.

“It comes down to a labor issue at the terminals,” said Scott Weiss, vice president of business development at Port Logistics Group, which has trucking and warehouse operations throughout Southern California. “There are still bottlenecks in getting containers into and out of the terminals,” he told JOC.com Thursday.

The reduced productivity of longshore labor due to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has contributed to the vessel delays, which are averaging 7.3 days in the port complex, according to the Signal platform, published daily by the Port of Los Angeles.

The ports are working with trans-Pacific carriers to reduce the load on Southern California until volumes return to normal. Gene Seroka, executive director of the Port of Los Angeles, told JOC.com he is working with carriers and terminal operators to “meter” import volumes until the ports catch up. Hapag-Lloyd has announced structural blank sailings to Southern California in February and CMA CGM is dropping Los Angeles from a trans-Pacific string to make Oakland the first call inbound from Asia, followed by Seattle-Tacoma.

Spring recovery?

Alan McCorkle, president and CEO of Yusen Terminals in Los Angeles, said the fact that the terminals have handled near-record container volumes the last six months without experiencing total gridlock shows they have the physical capacity to move peak-season volumes, provided those peak seasons don’t last for six consecutive months. He predicts a return to normalcy in May or June.

Scott Schoenfeld, general manager of Fenix Marine Services in Los Angeles, said Fenix is showing signs of improvement, so he is optimistic that congestion relief could come as early as April.

“Our container yard has a lot more daylight,” he said. Container density within the yard is not as great as it was late last year, and more truckers are able to take delivery of containers each day.

However, container volumes remain elevated, and that should continue for at least the next month as extra-loader vessels continue to arrive in Southern California.

Jon Monroe, who serves as a consultant to non-vessel-operating common carriers (NVOs), told JOC.com that carriers in the eastbound trans-Pacific have deployed or will deploy 10 extra-loaders in February, all of them to Los Angeles-Long Beach.

Monroe noted that although more factories in China than usual will attempt this month to maintain at least partial operations in order to clear the backlog of merchandise that has accumulated at their facilities, the total volumes in the eastbound trans-Pacific in the coming two months should be somewhat less than they were the past six months.

The 1.8 billion square feet of industrial and distribution space throughout Southern California is not completely filled to capacity, as it was last fall before holiday-season merchandise was moved out to stores across the country, Weiss said. Nevertheless, space availability at warehouses and distribution facilities is a mixed bag.

“Some are slammed, others are running well. I’d say it’s 50-50,” Weiss said.

Productivity is generally down and labor shortages due to COVID-19 are common at warehouses throughout the region, while at the same time volumes remain exceptionally strong, Weiss said.

“Everyone I am talking to is experiencing record volumes, record growth, but everyone’s upping their game to handle it,” Weiss said.

Weston LaBar, CEO of the Harbor Trucking Association, said drayage capacity is tight and worker availability is challenged at the both ends of truckers’ routes, the marine terminals and the distribution warehouses. However, workers will return in larger numbers when they feel it is safe to do so.

“The single biggest thing we can do is vaccinate,” LaBar said.

Old 02-15-21, 08:50 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
In my industry, some items have been on back order since October. I'm hearing that certain vinyl products order lead times are 6-8 months.
Old 02-15-21, 08:58 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill

COVID-19 hit waterfront workforce hard

“The single biggest thing we can do is vaccinate,” LaBar said.
A few containers sinking in the ocean is a one-off event. But Covid is the big issue that is messing up supply chains -- everywhere from the factories in the far east to the truckers and RR workers who move merchandise across the US.
Old 02-15-21, 09:14 AM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts
This is curious for me. Ordered a Trek mountain bike in August 2020, slated for arrival March 2021. Got an update from the dealer, arrival pushed out to November 2021! I ordered another model, which should arrive in April. Guess I’ll to keep my fingers crossed.
Old 02-15-21, 09:25 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
My LBS was told to get their 2022 orders in since 2021 most likely will be limited.
Old 02-15-21, 09:54 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
A few of you guys confuse me. I mean on one hand, you're on this site. That means you have access to the internet. On the other hand, you still think Treks are made in Waterloo, Canada, Cambodia...

This isn't rocket surgery.

Trek is a marketing company. They are not a manufacturer. They design and market bikes. They have contracted Quest Composites to make their carbon framesets. They buy some other parts from other companies. Then, they put that stuff in a box. You buy it... and call it a Trek.

Quest Composites is in DongGuan City, Tangxia Town, China - which is not in Cambodia.
Old 02-15-21, 10:01 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
A few of you guys confuse me. I mean on one hand, you're on this site. That means you have access to the internet. On the other hand, you still think Treks are made in Waterloo, Canada, Cambodia...

Trek is a marketing company. They are not a manufacturer. They design and market bikes. They have contracted Quest Composites to make their carbon framesets. They buy some other parts from other companies. Then, they put that stuff in a box. You buy it... and call it a Trek.

Quest Composites is in DongGuan City, Tangxia Town, China - which is not in Cambodia.
It's the internet. People post their opinions, guesses, and suppositions, and present them all as facts. Googling them first would take too much time.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-15-21, 10:11 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Oh, my version of the frameset made at that factory in DongGuan is called a Canyon. I know this... 'cause I have a big box that says "Canyon" that I got when I ordered a bike from Canyon... which is a marketing company in Koblenz, Germany... also, not in Cambodia.
Old 02-15-21, 10:13 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Complicating the issue is the "Trek Factory Tour" videos we can watch on Youtube. They always forget to mention that nowadays the "factory" is just a really nice design studio and prototyping lab.

Maybe they paint the Project One frames there (?) but I suspect not a whole lot else.
Old 02-15-21, 10:16 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
What part of the Country of Wisconsin is Cambodia in?

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 02-15-21, 11:14 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
My LBS was told to get their 2022 orders in since 2021 most likely will be limited.
Same reported by my dealer. I started looking for a small TCR last summer and was told maybe November and then March '21. Now, he says 2021 is a bust for my particular model, level, size, componentry, etc.

Old 02-15-21, 11:16 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
What part of the Country of Wisconsin is Cambodia in?
I think Wisconsin is an Illinois State Park and none of the above.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 02-15-21, 11:22 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar

Really?!?
Please do tell.
We lack for facts.
And our cheeks are stuffed with tongues.
Old 02-15-21, 11:33 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Complicating the issue is the "Trek Factory Tour" videos we can watch on Youtube. They always forget to mention that nowadays the "factory" is just a really nice design studio and prototyping lab.

Maybe they paint the Project One frames there (?) but I suspect not a whole lot else.
I think Trek does their carbon wheels in house.
Old 02-15-21, 11:37 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
My Madone 9 has a small crack forming. I am pretty sure this ain’t the year for quick warranty turn around. I am going to ride it until it isn’t safe. Hopefully, that will get me closer to 2022 and a better supply stream from Trek.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.