Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton M6L rack options

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-21, 06:26 PM
ForestFold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all, snapped up a Superlight M6L. How should I proceed with choosing a rear rack? I would also like to install the wheel extenders to make rolling more stable,

1) Aluminum vs titanium. What's the advantage of titanium here, since aluminum is lighter and only 10kg at the very most would ever be loaded? I'm aware of the various H&H / Ti Parts etc etc options.

2) Rather than go thirdparty, is it better to simply buy the official Brompton rear rack kit, which comes with the 'R' mudguards? This design is better braced against sideways movement than the unofficial racks (?)

If I can save a little weight and money by buying a rack from Taiwan/China, I'm happy to do that
Old 02-23-21, 06:46 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
The wheel extenders don't mount on the rack.

If you just want to better roll the bike around, the cheap mini rack is OK. If you want to carry loads then the Brompton or Nitto rack would probably serve you better.
Old 02-23-21, 08:31 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Welcome to BF folder sub thread! You indeed got lucky to find a loose Brompton out there. Share some pics when you get your count up.
Old 02-23-21, 08:38 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
The original Brompton rack is generally superior to the aftermarket offerings, but its weakness are alu stays that deform too easily. I swapped those stays for titanium and I expect my rack to be the best there is. I made some other enhancements to the original rack, but their value might be greater for me than others.