Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bontrager XXX Saddle on 2019 Emonda

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-21, 06:07 PM
rclouviere

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Bought a used XXX saddle and it doesn’t fit with the stock clamps. The seller included clamps, but they don’t fit the emonda seat post. Suggestions?
Old 02-27-21, 06:14 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by rclouviere
Bought a used XXX saddle and it doesn’t fit with the stock clamps. The seller included clamps, but they don’t fit the emonda seat post. Suggestions?
Is your Emonda using the seat mast cap/clamp with the side clamping "ears"? If so, and the saddle had ovalized rails, you just need to order the appropriate ones from Trek - they should have both 9mm and 10mm.
Old 02-27-21, 06:20 PM
rclouviere

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Is your Emonda using the seat mast cap/clamp with the side clamping "ears"? If so, and the saddle had ovalized rails, you just need to order the appropriate ones from Trek - they should have both 9mm and 10mm.

yes, it has the seat mast cap/clamp. The stock ones are for round rails. The xxx saddle has oval ones. Trek has oval 7x10 ear clamps, but they don’t match up with the plastic part in the seat post.
Old 02-27-21, 06:28 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Carbon rails are larger than metal ones.

I have a 2015 Emonda SLR with a Paradigm XXX saddle. If you need i can take pictures.
Old 02-27-21, 06:34 PM
WhyFi

Check with Trek - they probably have different clamps. The conical part of your clamp looks the same as what I had (Ride Tuned seat mast cap), but the ears that you have/were given do not look like the ears that I had/ordered from Trek - they didn't protrude inwards at the bottom like that.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-27-21, 06:38 PM
WhyFi

These are the ones that I had - https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-ears/p/06096/
Old 02-27-21, 08:25 PM
rclouviere

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
looks like that is what i need. 7x10, right? Do you have the emonda seat post and xxx saddle?
Old 02-27-21, 08:28 PM
WhyFi

looks like that is what i need. 7x10, right? Do you have the emonda seat post and xxx saddle?
No, I had a different saddle with the same rail size and my bike was a Domane, but they used the same seat mast cap at the time. If you're not confident that you can accurately measure the rails, I would look for it online to confirm. IIRC, most Trek saddles with CF rails were 10mm whereas 9mm is more common with other manufacturers.

edit: oh, the ears that you do have - are they marked 10mm?

Last edited by WhyFi; 02-27-21 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-28-21, 06:35 PM
rclouviere

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

yes, side clamping ears. Just wondering which one i need. Pretty sure 10mm, the one in this pic??
Old 02-28-21, 06:53 PM
WhyFi

yes, side clamping ears. Just wondering which one i need. Pretty sure 10mm, the one in this pic??
I would think so, but you should double-check. Look at the rails of the saddle - they're often marked. Look at the ears supplied by the seller - they're often marked, too. Failing both of those, do a search for the saddle model and year.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-01-21, 06:47 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
I've switched back and forth between Bontrager saddles with carbon and titanium rails a bunch of times on a variety of Trek road bikes. Don't know about these days, but Trek dealers have always had the part in the past.
Old 03-01-21, 07:20 PM
rclouviere

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Carbon rails are larger than metal ones.

I have a 2015 Emonda SLR with a Paradigm XXX saddle. If you need i can take pictures.
that might be helpful. Seems the ones that came with it doesn’t fit with the interior plastic part on the seat post on my emonda SLR
Old 07-12-21, 08:22 AM
kozmic

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi rclouviere, I would be interested in buying those clamps from you if you still have them and didn't use them? I am looking for the round (from the side as opposed to the triangular) trek side ear clamps (oval for the seat rails), and it appears that may be what you have but couldn't use? Are these the ones you have? And do you want to sell them? If so, please DM me a price and PayPal address.

trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-components/bike-stems-seatposts/bike-seatposts-accessories/bike-seatpost-parts-accessories/bontrager-2016-xxx-seatpost-saddle-clamp-ears/p/25888/?colorCode=black

or these:

trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-components/bike-stems-seatposts/bike-seatposts-accessories/bike-seatpost-parts-accessories/trek-2-bolt-seatpost-saddle-clamp-ears/p/25893/?colorCode=black

Last edited by kozmic; 07-12-21 at 08:33 AM.