Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Quarq Crank Arms

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Quarq Crank Arms

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 07:20 PM
Hammonjj

Bikes: Giant TCR and Giant TCX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quarq Crank Arms

I have a buddy that wants to sell me his Quarq power meter, but it has 177.5 length crank arms, about 2.5 longer than what I currently use. Is it possible to change the crank arms on it to 175?

Thanks!
Old 09-08-10, 07:25 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A crank is basically 3 parts, the arms, the spider, and the rings. I don't think anyone sells the arms by themselves, so you pretty much have to buy a new crank of the appropriate length and Quarq can transfer the spider (the expensive part) over.
Old 09-08-10, 10:20 PM
scirocco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have to use one of the types of crank that has a removable spider (so that it can be replaced by the Quarq measuring element), so most of the more common Shimano and Campy cranks are not suitable. However if you happen to currently be riding one of the compatible types (SRAM S900 or FSA SL-K Light plus a few others) with your preferred crank length, then you could use that with the Quarq.
Old 09-08-10, 10:22 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scirocco
You have to use one of the types of crank that has a removable spider (so that it can be replaced by the Qaurq measuring element), so most of the more common Shimano and Campy cranks are not suitable. However if you are already riding one of the compatible types (SRAM S900 or FSA SL-K Light) with your preferred crank length, then you could use that with the Quarq.
Since the OP is talking buying a Quarq that is already in use, he has to use the same model crank. The spiders are different for each crank, they aren't interchangeable.
Old 09-10-10, 06:58 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quarq has a reputation for good customer service. Just ask them:

https://www.quarq.com/contact
Old 09-10-10, 07:38 AM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
A crank is basically 3 parts, the arms, the spider, and the rings. I don't think anyone sells the arms by themselves, so you pretty much have to buy a new crank of the appropriate length and Quarq can transfer the spider (the expensive part) over.
Where does Quarq get the crank arms for its FSA cranks? IIRC, the normal SL-K and Team cranks don't have a separate arms from the spider, but Quarq sells its own version so it must be getting the arms somewhere (I would guess that its special order from FSA).

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 09-10-10, 09:58 AM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SpongeDad
Where does Quarq get the crank arms for its FSA cranks? IIRC, the normal SL-K and Team cranks don't have a separate arms from the spider, but Quarq sells its own version so it must be getting the arms somewhere (I would guess that its special order from FSA).
Hmm, that's interesting, I don't know. I don't know much about the FSA cranks, I know with the SRAM ones, they just got the whole crank and tossed the spider (I mean, they probably have a box of them somewher )

Is the spindle on those FSA cranks attached to the drive arm or are they half-shafts like the Specialized/Lightning cranks? Because those are symmetric, you could theoretically build a crank from any two crankarms.
Old 09-10-10, 11:08 AM
mkbruch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpongeDad
The Team Issue cranks that we used were just stock from FSA. We removed the spider ourselves. FSA is no longer making that version of the Team Issue, though we still have some here if anyone wants a cheap crankset. The FSA SL-K Light cranks that we sell are special order from FSA. They build them specifically for us without the spider.

Mieke Meyer
Quarq Technology

Last edited by mkbruch; 09-10-10 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Added name and company