Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

handle bar configuration?

Old 06-12-12, 09:30 AM
Phydiox

Bikes: Lemond Chamberry,Cannondale CAAD8,Tarmac Expert,specialized hardrock pro.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
handle bar configuration?

Since we have the new velodrome here and I am too blind to ride on the roads,I have been looking hard at the track bikes. I notice several styles and a Different curve to the standard handlebars. i am wondering what is the advantages of the diff styles? seemed like the laydown,end forward bars wouldnt be allowed on tracks for safety reasons. i personaly prefer the flat top bars on my road bike. Any input?
Old 06-12-12, 10:38 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
For mass start races (group races) only drop bars are allowed. Period.

Standard road bar:

Sprint bar:

"Track" or "Sprint" bars are preferred by those who do race sprint events that involve a standing start in drop bars (like the Team Sprint) or slow rolling start (like Match Sprints). The curve of the bars immediately from the stem area allows the forearms to not get bruised. They also tend to like the low hand position which is only comfortable for a short time, but most sprint events are around 1 minute or less (except for the Keirin). Aerodynamics is key.

Most Madison riders prefer a bar with a flat area up top for gripping during exchanges.

Many mass start racers prefer standard road bars which don't drop so deep. Their races are much longer than sprint events, so comfort is a major factor.

Aerobars (bullhorn bars with or without extensions) are only allowed in individual or team time trial events.

They are not allowed in group races because they are a safety hazard. They could gore someone in a crash.
Old 06-12-12, 10:43 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Phydiox
Since we have the new velodrome here and I am too blind to ride on the roads,I have been looking hard at the track bikes. I notice several styles and a Different curve to the standard handlebars. i am wondering what is the advantages of the diff styles? seemed like the laydown,end forward bars wouldnt be allowed on tracks for safety reasons. i personaly prefer the flat top bars on my road bike. Any input?
Flat bars would not be allowed for mass start races. But, I think they are allowed for time trials...but they would be ill-advised.

As a track newbie, I'd advise you to do what the other guys are doing. Buy a complete basic track bike. We have a thread about those: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...k-Racing-Bikes
Old 06-12-12, 02:49 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Yep, what Carleton said.

And, congratulations on your interest in track biking. First step, find out the local velodrome schedule and go check it out. Typically they have loaner/rental bikes where you can get a feel for the track and what you might want in a track bike. Definately get some time on the track before buying a bike, if you are serious about the track.

If you are looking for a hybrid track/road bike (typically a steel bike), you can pretty easily swap out handlebars. Don't have to worry about brake cables and the like on a track bike.