Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New guy to co op needs advice.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-14, 08:34 AM
RickBlane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have always used single purpose tools and have not given the multi pocket things much attention. But I have started helping out at the local co op and find I spend a great deal of time tracking down the small tool I need. Are either of the the tools linked below worth having. If any of you are using either one please give your opinion. Are there other/better choices to consider?

Amazon.com : Elaxor? 16-Function Multi Bike Bicycle Cycling Mechanic Tool Kits for Repairing Bike Bicycle Easily : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : Topeak Alien II 26-Function Bicycle Tool : Bike Multifunction Tools : Sports & Outdoors

Thanks
Old 11-07-14, 08:48 AM
Still Pedaling

Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I not long ago got that same Topeak model. Its great to carry around with you in case of emergency. Although I haven't had the need to use it as yet, I will say that the quality is excellent.
Old 11-07-14, 08:59 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
The Elaxor is only $11, so the tools will be cheaply made. The hex keys will probably round off easily, and it's unusual to need sockets on many road bikes.

I carry loose L shaped hex wrenches on the bike. I have a small piece of mountain bike inner tube, cut flat and with pairs of small slits to hold the L wrenches. I need 5 different sizes from 2mm to 5 mm. I've never used the multi-function sets. I thought that many of them had very short hex keys, making it difficult to fit bolts in tight spaces.

If I was picking one, I'd probably get the Crank Brothers set.

Hex wrenches
For shop work, one of the 4-5-6mm Y hex wrenches is very useful. And I have 3mm, 4mm, and 5mm screwdriver handled hex wrenches, which are faster at attaching bolts than trying to spin the Y wrench. Then I have a folding set for the smaller sizes. (I got a generic Y wrench for maybe $2 at a bike store years ago, but the cheap steel was just stamped into shape instead of machined, and it tended to round off the hex screws. The Park Tool version is way better.)

Last edited by rm -rf; 11-07-14 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-07-14, 09:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
read the other one

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-07-14 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-07-14, 09:35 AM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd get a Park AWS 9 or 10.