Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

How useful is a fat bike...really?

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

How useful is a fat bike...really?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 09:52 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I need to repeat myself: LOL! - Love the use of caps for "ME" but not on "montana"!

"no experience off road" - nope, not me. I ride off-road a lot, summer and winter.

You continue two themes:

Speed - I enjoy 'fast' but it is far from the only thing I like about biking. The fatbike is not the 'fastest' bike, but it's is the funnest*.

Cost - I have enough disposable income to own a number of bikes, and including a fatbike is a good idea. If you can only afford one or two bikes, than a fatbike is a luxury that you likely can't afford.

I think you have made your opinion very clear and I feel that I have done likewise, time to stop ....

* intention use of a non-word.
Are you the grammar police now then? Strawmanning and arguing semantics is hardly the way to win an argument. "Oh you didn't proofread your internet post, I'm going to point that out so everyone can see the mistakes you make so you sound stupid..." In actuality it's working in reverse.

And yes, you are right. A fat bike is a LUXURY, something that can be easily replaced by other, cheaper bikes. That was my point all along. Thank you for making it so clear.
Old 04-07-16, 09:58 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
What part of ... .... is not clear?
Old 04-07-16, 06:02 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
We used to cuss each other like this when the 29ers came out. Now we have a new horse to kill and mash! If you are having fun and staying in shape, ride like a boss!

I hate myself. I broke down and bought them stinkin 29" wagon wheels, and love em.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 04-07-16, 09:15 PM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I find mine very useful. Particularly since I'm not a technical rider and don't know the first thing about picking a line.

I just ride over every f'n thing!
Old 04-08-16, 07:09 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
We had lots of rain here yesterday, so wet trails and some mud puddles with poor traction...... time for the fat bike because riding the regular mtb will be too sketchy and I'm not about to risk getting hurt. Mtb riding is risky enough without adding to them by loosing traction on wet roots, rocks and soil. Plus, I want to ride up the hills, not hike my bike.
For me, a fat bike is useful in that it allows me to ride and maintain conditioning when normally, I couldn't ride. My buddy broke his collarbone riding last week, he simply lost front wheel traction on a slow but technical section of rocks. It happened that fast.....
Old 04-08-16, 04:45 PM
stevemtbr
Creamy pack filling

Bikes: Trek 8000, Co-Motion tandem, Co-motion Espresso, Yeti Cross, 9Zero7 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For me this sums it all up.