Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from London, ON

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello from London, ON

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-19, 05:49 PM
jessec

Bikes: Fuji Feather, KHS Urban Soul, GT Course, Specialized Sirrus, Miele Uno LS, Nishiki Bushwhacker, Wheeler Cross Line 4000, Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Hello from London, ON

Evening!

Just joined as I've recently gotten back into working with bikes.. Rode some XC trails when I was a teen and a bit into 20's and had a LOT of years without much riding. Have been on and off lately but currently building a commuter bike to replace my Trek 4500 (that I bought new in 1999 and works better than ever). Got into a lot of bike maintenance this past summer as I was taking community donations to fix/adjust and donate back out into the community to those in need. Giving me the itch back.

Currently have a KHS Alite 500, Trek 4500, Raleigh Ltd 12-speed road bike.. and lots of donated parts I haven't had time to get together yet (have put about 15-20 bikes back into people's hands this summer already though - and 4 more waiting to go).

I would post some photos of them, but not at my 10 post count yet...

Last edited by jessec; 11-04-19 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Added blurb at end
Old 11-02-19, 06:19 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Welcome from SW Ohio. I spent some time in your location at a Shakespearean festival once.

Last edited by nomadmax; 11-02-19 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-04-19, 02:29 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I'm east of you but west of Toronto.

Do you have a bicycle co-op where you volunteer?

Cheers
Old 11-04-19, 02:46 PM
jessec

Bikes: Fuji Feather, KHS Urban Soul, GT Course, Specialized Sirrus, Miele Uno LS, Nishiki Bushwhacker, Wheeler Cross Line 4000, Specialized Rockhopper

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I'm east of you but west of Toronto.

Do you have a bicycle co-op where you volunteer?

Cheers
I've been doing it from my home, but London does have a bike co-op that I just recently donated 3 bikes to (Squeaky Wheel Bike Co-Op). I've only been there the one time but plan on going back, and potentially looking to volunteer there and help with their Bikes for Newcomers program if I can. Just need to work out scheduling and all before inquiring further about it. I know they have a volunteer night on Tuesdays to go in as well.
Old 11-04-19, 04:06 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by jessec
I've been doing it from my home, but London does have a bike co-op that I just recently donated 3 bikes to (Squeaky Wheel Bike Co-Op). I've only been there the one time but plan on going back, and potentially looking to volunteer there and help with their Bikes for Newcomers program if I can. Just need to work out scheduling and all before inquiring further about it. I know they have a volunteer night on Tuesdays to go in as well.
I wish London, Ontario was closer to me. I have a bunch of bike parts and a couple of MTB frames I'd like to donate but the co-op in my area has a very narrow entrance from a busy street and I hesitate to ask anyone to drive me and the bicycle stuff there in case their vehicle gets hit coming out of that narrow driveway.

I like co-ops because they often have old hard to find parts unless they figure those parts are totally obsolete and chuck them. I used to volunteer at our regional one until they moved. It was quite a bicycle there and back home especially in the dark. I had good lights on the bike but drivers didn't expect to see bicyclists in the country at that time of the year - late fall and winter.

Cheers
Old 11-05-19, 06:43 PM
jessec

I wish London, Ontario was closer to me. I have a bunch of bike parts and a couple of MTB frames I'd like to donate but the co-op in my area has a very narrow entrance from a busy street and I hesitate to ask anyone to drive me and the bicycle stuff there in case their vehicle gets hit coming out of that narrow driveway.

I like co-ops because they often have old hard to find parts unless they figure those parts are totally obsolete and chuck them. I used to volunteer at our regional one until they moved. It was quite a bicycle there and back home especially in the dark. I had good lights on the bike but drivers didn't expect to see bicyclists in the country at that time of the year - late fall and winter.

Cheers
Is there no place nearby to park and have them wait while you bomb the pieces over a couple at a time instead of right at the entrance?
Or call ahead and see if they can meet you to help unload real quick due to that concern?

It seems like the one here will be a good place to go. They have a really good amount of space, and a lot in there right now too.. they're looking forward to winter, actually - just so they can get through fixing up all the bikes to make them worthy to go to a cause or sell through the co-op to help fund it. I plan to return soon and speak with them more about the opportunities there.

My Raleigh Ltd frame is too big for me, and maybe I can swap for a smaller frame to fit me while I'm there, too
Old 11-05-19, 08:33 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by jessec
Is there no place nearby to park and have them wait while you bomb the pieces over a couple at a time instead of right at the entrance?
Or call ahead and see if they can meet you to help unload real quick due to that concern?

It seems like the one here will be a good place to go. They have a really good amount of space, and a lot in there right now too.. they're looking forward to winter, actually - just so they can get through fixing up all the bikes to make them worthy to go to a cause or sell through the co-op to help fund it. I plan to return soon and speak with them more about the opportunities there.

My Raleigh Ltd frame is too big for me, and maybe I can swap for a smaller frame to fit me while I'm there, too
Unfortunately there's no parking nearby. ReCycle Cycles in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada is set back a fair piece from the main street where the entrance lane is to the shop. I don't know if it'll show up in this image from Street View on Google Maps. It's a tricky place to get into and out of. I by far preferred their old location.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.44804...7i16384!8i8192

Cheers

Last edited by Miele Man; 11-05-19 at 08:42 PM. Reason: #1 forgot the link. #2 Added 2 Images
Old 11-20-19, 06:40 AM
jessec

I have since picked up a Raleigh Grand Prix and Supercycle Excalibur (with working speedometer!!).. will likely ride the Supercycle based on the frame size - my 2 Raleigh's are honestly too big for me.. so I'll be fixing them up and reselling in the spring.
Old 11-21-19, 01:40 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Unfortunately there's no parking nearby. ReCycle Cycles in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada is set back a fair piece from the main street where the entrance lane is to the shop. I don't know if it'll show up in this image from Street View on Google Maps. It's a tricky place to get into and out of. I by far preferred their old location.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.44804...7i16384!8i8192

Cheers
Huh. All this time I had no idea that was there. That's right around the corner from where Braun's main location was.
Old 11-21-19, 02:40 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Huh. All this time I had no idea that was there. That's right around the corner from where Braun's main location was.
Yes. ReCycle Cycles used to be a bit further west on Queen Street near Charles Street. It was in The Working Center.

Cheers