Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Should I Use This Rim Tape?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-21-19, 10:57 AM
Goldrush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

My new ICAN carbon wheels came with this elastic fiber rim tape. Should I use it or go with Velox?

Old 11-21-19, 11:53 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldrush
My new ICAN carbon wheels came with this elastic fiber rim tape. Should I use it or go with Velox?

If that's what came with the wheels, I imagine it'll be just fine.

I know it has to be better than electrical tape, lol. That's what was on my wheels, instead of rim tape, on my last (used) bike purchase. 🙄😁 They're only $2 each, at a bike shop, and not too tough to install. 😉
Old 11-21-19, 01:21 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
If a rim is supplied with a thin tape, chances are that Velox is a bad choice. That includes ANYTHING that is tubeless-ready.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 11-21-19 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-21-19, 04:14 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
That looks very similar to Continental Easy Tape which is my choice. Thin tape makes tire mounting easier that the thick cloth type.
Old 11-25-19, 09:08 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Use two wraps of 1 mil Kapton tape totaling 0.005" versus 0.020" for Velox and 0.010 for the thinnest bicycle products. 16mm 5/8" for traditional rims, 19mm 3/4" for wide.

It'll get you a lot more slack which you'll appreciate on modern rims where manufacturers have made the center depression shallower.

If you're a weight weenie, it's the lightest.

If you're on a budget, it's the least expensive.

It's the best in every way.
Old 01-05-20, 07:09 PM
elau2000

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dsbrantjr.

I believe you just gave me the clue for the difficulty on mounting new GP5000 on my new ICAN 50mm Std. Wheelset. I used the Velox cloth rim tape which is thick and there was no way I could mount the GP5000 even with the tire levers. Had to install my already used GP4000 II. I will save the GP5000 for later once my GP4000 II wear out and use the rim "tape" that came with the wheelset.
Old 01-08-20, 01:18 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by elau2000
dsbrantjr.

I believe you just gave me the clue for the difficulty on mounting new GP5000 on my new ICAN 50mm Std. Wheelset. I used the Velox cloth rim tape which is thick and there was no way I could mount the GP5000 even with the tire levers. Had to install my already used GP4000 II. I will save the GP5000 for later once my GP4000 II wear out and use the rim "tape" that came with the wheelset.
Velox tape is simply the wrong part for the job here. I predict much happier tire mounting once you use what the manufacturer recommends.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-08-20, 01:32 PM
RoCou

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
If a rim is supplied with a thin tape, chances are that Velox is a bad choice. That includes ANYTHING that is tubeless-ready.
I beg to disagree. There are tons of low-cost wheels delivered with thin shrink-wrap-type rim tape; that does not mean it's the best. I've ridden my n-1 road bike of its (absurd) tendency to flat by chucking out the original thin plastic tape and putting Velox in there - did not have a single flat after that, most of them were caused by the tape letting the inner tube get too comfy with the spoke nipples.
Old 01-08-20, 01:43 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by RoCou
I beg to disagree. There are tons of low-cost wheels delivered with thin shrink-wrap-type rim tape; that does not mean it's the best. I've ridden my n-1 road bike of its (absurd) tendency to flat by chucking out the original thin plastic tape and putting Velox in there - did not have a single flat after that, most of them were caused by the tape letting the inner tube get too comfy with the spoke nipples.
Sounds like you’re talking about single-wall rims, not the modern tubeless-ready double-wall kind we’re discussing in this thread. Velox is fine in single-wall rims because the open center channel gives you plenty of room to mount tires no matter what tape you use. I’ve had good results with tubeless tape in single-wall rims, too, but it’s important that the spoke ends are trimmed/ground flush with the nipple heads. (That’s good practice with Velox tape, as well.)