Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Santana Arriva Disc Upgrade

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-19, 02:08 PM
quemazon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just upgraded our 2002 Arriva to a rear disc brake. I decided to cobble the parts together myself instead of purchasing a kit, and I wanted to document the parts and process in case anyone else is trying to do the same.

Parts:
$25 A2Z AD-PMR Rear Disc Brake Adaptor. Ebay
$75 TRP HY/RD Post Mount Cable Actuated Hydraulic Disc Brake Caliper w/o Rotor. Ebay
$8 Bicycle Bike Freewheel Threaded Hubs Disk Disc Brake Rotor 6 Bolt Flange Adapter 44MM/48MM. Amazon
$51 Shimano XT Brake Disc (SM-RT86L) IceTech 203 mm Rotor w/6 Bolts. Ebay
$0 Cone washers from old brake pads

A few notes on the install:
- The two screws that come with the a2z adapter are a little too long and bottomed-out in the frame mount. I cut them to size with a dremel.
- There was an offset of about 2-3mm between the caliper and disc. I used a couple of fat aluminum washers to move the caliper in-line with the disc.
- The post mount that came with the Hy/Rd worked fine
- The Hy/Rd is setup for longer-throw levers that are the new standard. There is a simple modification for older levers that appears to be approved by TRP:
- The cone washers really helped in getting everything lined up.
- Because this is a pre-2004 Santana, it uses 203mm rotors instead of 10" Santana standard. That suits me just fine.

My wife and I just got back from our first ride with this setup, and it was pretty great! The stopping power is moderately better than with the rear V's. I'm pretty certain I could lock up the rear if I really laid into it. We had a 2000' descent with an average grade of about 7%, but some areas approaching 10-12%. At the bottom the front rim was warm to the touch, but not hot. The rear disc was hot probably enough to burn my finger, but I only tapped it lightly.
Old 08-03-19, 03:04 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Fascinating. No luck for my old Burley which only has the Arai tab

There was a "Hacks and Bodges" adapter on GMBN a week ago that was carbon fiber wrapped around the steel frame.

Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-03-19 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-03-19, 04:20 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Just installed a TRP hybrid, and am very impressed. After some adjustment and bedding in, it's very powerful. I can lock the rear wheel using only the rear brake easily, and more importantly, modulate short of that.

The Bengal cable actuated brake it replaced, would bottom the brake lever well before it came close to locking the wheel
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-03-19, 05:35 PM
quemazon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Just installed a TRP hybrid, and am very impressed. After some adjustment and bedding in, it's very powerful. I can lock the rear wheel using only the rear brake easily, and more importantly, modulate short of that.
Interesting. What did you do to bed it in? Are you using the stock brake pads? Did you use compressionless housing? Also did you do the throw adjustment as mention in the video?
Old 08-03-19, 05:47 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
stock brake pads.

Not running compression less housing, although i'm thinking of going to it just for a little insurance.

Only set up I did was follow the instructions, and then a number of hard stops to bed in the pads.

I can see the logic of adjusting the cable pull angle, however, for us and Dura Ace levers we haven't found it necessary so far.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 08-03-19 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-20-19, 03:42 PM
rocknrollin

Bikes: PlanetX Tempest, Santana Fusion, Santana Arriva

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
the upgrade looks great!
I just purchased a 2008 Santana Arriva and was planning to upgrade it to hydraulic discs.
I looked up the freewheel 6 bolt adapter, and I find two sizes to choose from: 44 and 48mm.
Which one did you install? And is it a hadley hub?

I will still need to wait a bit until the tandem will be delivered and I can do measurements. I hope that the fact that its post 2004 and has the hayes mount moved forward will not complicate things.

Last edited by rocknrollin; 11-20-19 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-20-19, 06:03 PM
Joint Venture

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by quemazon
I just upgraded our 2002 Arriva to a rear disc brake...

...- Because this is a pre-2004 Santana, it uses 203mm rotors instead of 10" Santana standard. That suits me just fine.
You can get an adaptor to accommodate the 10” disc. I bought mine from Precision Tandems. We upgraded our former 2001 Santana with it. If you do move up to the larger rotor, get the Santana Gen 4 rotor, not the Gen 3! This setup had spectacular braking!!
Old 11-20-19, 06:32 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
It is great you have provided detailed information on the installation and should be useful for others. Disc brakes are the norm now, but I have never understood the infatuation with disc brakes on touring bikes and especially on tandems. The tandem load is far greater than single bikes and so it is not about locking the brakes, but about dissipating energy. The drum was ideal for this, and anyways, we could "lock" the drum brake on our older Santana. Unfortunately, Santana long back veered into the disk brake world for marketing. The result is the strange looking huge diameter discs.
Old 11-21-19, 03:59 AM
CaliTexan

Bikes: 2019 Co-Motion Carrera (S&S) / 1998 Litespeed Tuscany / 2014 Wilier Zero 7

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Hmmm. I have a 1998 Sovereign. It originally came with the first gen Santana hydraulic disc. That thing was really a high-maintenance flop. But, there was no replacement for it and there is no provision on the frame for any kind of rear rim brake. And the frame being aluminum, there was no real retrofit possible.

So, I was stuck with it until the WinZip brake came along. Bud's in Claremont did the first factory refit of a WinZip to the old hydraulic brake system on my bike. It works, with a BPB helper up front. It uses the original Santana disc. But at the time, no other brake would work, because of the location of the caliper attachment bracket.

Fast forward to 2019: I would sure like to put a modern brake like a TRP on it. Has anyone tried to do that yet?
Old 11-21-19, 03:33 PM
rocknrollin

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joint Venture
You can get an adaptor to accommodate the 10” disc. I bought mine from Precision Tandems. We upgraded our former 2001 Santana with it. If you do move up to the larger rotor, get the Santana Gen 4 rotor, not the Gen 3! This setup had spectacular braking!!
Thanks for the tip!
I hope to be able to use one of hopes floating disc rotors. It has excellent reviews, supposedly great heat dissipation, and the largest model comes in 225 mm (just one inch smaller than the 10" santana). I would't mind the Santana either and i might not have a chice in the end, but the major downsize is its royal price (180 $ vs. 60 $ for the hope rotor).

I think in particular for tandems and touring bikes any improvement in braking power is welcome.
We just started tandem touring this summer, hauling 185 kg of total weight for 2 weeks. We have Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakea which are great without the panniers, but the stopping distance is significantly increased with the luggage and water. We had many stretches with secluded turns and sharp corners along our tour, which required us to slow down a lot so we could bring the bike to stand in case of an incoming car. This can be quite exhausting after a while.
Apart from being more fun and safe, stronger disc brakes would also increase the comfort by saving energy and time. I'm curious to try the drum brake that will come on our second hand Arriva, but with regards to comfort I think I'd prefer 2 strong brakes to a 3 brake setup.

Regarding the safety of hydraulic disc brakes, i was recently reading about the Rennstahl 853 e-bike which has been tested and certified for 185kg. So it should be possible to get them safe enough for a tandem.
Old 11-24-19, 10:28 AM
Chancy

Bikes: S&S Santana Beyond & S&S Santana Arriva. Trek Domane 3.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
[QUOTE=rocknrollin;21218172]Thanks for the tip!
I hope to be able to use one of hopes floating disc rotors. It has excellent reviews, supposedly great heat dissipation, and the largest model comes in 225 mm (just one inch smaller than the 10" santana). I would't mind the Santana either and i might not have a chice in the end, but the major downsize is its royal price (180 $ vs. 60 $ for the hope rotor). QUOTE]
Rocknrollin,

Have a look at post #13 for a lower priced 10" rotor that looks be be identical to Santana's Gen4 rotor for less $$. We have a Santana Beyond that I may upgrade to this rotor.

Tailwinds,
Charlie
2016 S&S Santana Beyond
Old 11-24-19, 10:31 AM
Chancy

Bikes: S&S Santana Beyond & S&S Santana Arriva. Trek Domane 3.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Sorry,

Here's the link I mentioned. The rotor is in post #13

https://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cy...ke-rotors.html

-Charlie
Old 11-28-19, 05:01 PM
rocknrollin

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks!
That one should do the job.
Old 11-29-19, 02:16 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
It is great you have provided detailed information on the installation and should be useful for others. Disc brakes are the norm now, but I have never understood the infatuation with disc brakes on touring bikes and especially on tandems. The tandem load is far greater than single bikes and so it is not about locking the brakes, but about dissipating energy. The drum was ideal for this, and anyways, we could "lock" the drum brake on our older Santana. Unfortunately, Santana long back veered into the disk brake world for marketing. The result is the strange looking huge diameter discs.
Agreed. For touring and tandem use the ability to lock a wheel is NOT useful. Especially at the rear. A locked rear wheel is not doing any useful ******ing of forward speed. A locked front wheel is even worse. The capacity of a drum brake to absorb the steady heat input of a controlled descent and the same capacity ot a 203mm or larger rear (or front!) disk to do the same is of great benefit. Still, it is probably less hassle to just buy a more modern used tandem than to try and upgrade a Santana Arriva. The stock brakes on an Arriva work about as well as anything else. With good pads on the Canti's and the stock Arai drum brake there isn't much else to be done. There is a mystique that disc brakes have that makes riders want them but the only way that makes sense is to buy a bike that is designed to use them. Front AND rear.
Old 11-30-19, 08:29 AM
IPassGas

On our old santana, the arai drum took us down many mountain passes loaded with camping gear. We never questioned the ability of the drum to keep speed in check. Our new tandem has 2 rim brakes and a 200 rear disc. These are insufficient for mountain passes and we must stop to cool brakes. The drum afforded an extra measure of safety.
Likes For IPassGas:
Old 12-06-19, 04:35 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
On our old santana, the arai drum took us down many mountain passes loaded with camping gear. We never questioned the ability of the drum to keep speed in check. Our new tandem has 2 rim brakes and a 200 rear disc. These are insufficient for mountain passes and we must stop to cool brakes. The drum afforded an extra measure of safety.
As I understand it, a larger diam. rear disc like yours, used as a drag brake, can be heated until glowing red hot, using the right rotors and pads. You may be unecessarily cautious. My earlier point was that if one already owns an Arriva it is bike enough (as you prove) in stock form. However, someone buying a bike today will probably be presented with a 203mm disc drag brake without asking, and this too will probably be enough for the majority of teams.
Old 12-07-19, 07:53 AM
IPassGas

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
As I understand it, a larger diam. rear disc like yours, used as a drag brake, can be heated until glowing red hot, using the right rotors and pads. You may be unecessarily cautious. My earlier point was that if one already owns an Arriva it is bike enough (as you prove) in stock form. However, someone buying a bike today will probably be presented with a 203mm disc drag brake without asking, and this too will probably be enough for the majority of teams.
"red hot" I do not believe. Certain hydraulic/disc combinations can dissipate heat better, but then you risk fluid boil, soft pads or disc warp. I am not a fan of hydraulics when touring in the middle of nowhere. I agree that the team weight/amount of loaded gear/terrain are all relevant in choice of braking. Lightweight teams need not be as concerned.

Last edited by IPassGas; 12-07-19 at 08:02 AM.