Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring with someone riding an e-bike?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 03:48 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I guess e-bike technology has progressed recently and is relatively cheap and reliable now. I'm getting quite a few requests from friends/fof/relatives etc who say they can now go on tours with me and when can we go!

Has anyone tried this before? I'm guessing there will be problems such as logistical issues of having to camp/stay near outlets. there will also be ettiques issues as they would whiz up climbs. Any other problems people have encountered or can think of.

But there could be benefits? One benefit is that an e-bike carry the bulk of the food and heavy items. Any other beneifts?
Old 05-06-18, 05:41 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3470 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,151 Posts
I personally would not enjoy going on a trip with someone that wants to ride what I consider to be an electrically powered motorcycle. I would politely tell them that I am not interested. But, perhaps you would like to travel with them? That is your call, I am sure that it would vary from one person to the next on what your relationship is with them.

Another possible negative is if your trip involves using bike paths that specifically exclude motorized vehicles. There was someone on this forum several months ago claiming that he had some federal document that says it was legal for him to use his motorized bike on bike paths, etc., but the facts are that a lot of bike trails do not allow motorized vehicles except for trail maintenance, etc. (If the bike trail is on an easement, the land owner might also have rights to use a motorized vehicle on their own property.) While you certainly could take different routes where necessary, would that be an issue in your logistics planning?

And another, would you plan to use any hiker biker sites in parks that are designated for non-motorized travelers?
Old 05-06-18, 07:47 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
Has anyone tried this before? I'm guessing there will be problems such as logistical issues of having to camp/stay near outlets. there will also be etiquette issues as they would whiz up climbs.
An e-bike tourist would require electricity at every overnight thus could never share a hiker/biker, USFS or perhaps even a state park camp site with you.

Etiquette issues could arise. After 50 years of conventional bike touring I am now restricted to riding with e-assist at age 69 due to femoral nerve damage. Whenever I ride with friends locally I try to match their speed. Sometimes when I take the lead I may inadvertently pull ahead if I don't watch the speedometer. I do sense a bit of resentment from my companions when they fall behind on their lighter road bikes.

E-bike touring also involves a lot of battery range anxiety. Having e-bike companions carry more of the load would only add to this limitation. Unless they carry a second battery 30 miles (+ or -) may be the limit.

Last edited by BobG; 05-06-18 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-06-18, 08:01 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 976 Times in 799 Posts
seems to me that the speed thing will depend on the people involved and using common sense. Carrying more of the heavy stuff makes sense too, but to me the main hiccup is going to be the charging aspect.
There could be a whole can of worms opening up here-things like not having access to electric campsites, to something as simple as before going to sleep, someone inatvertently bangs the cord and if a plug is old and worn, even a slight movement can stop the flow, but the plug could still be in, looking fine--then Ebike person has a dead battery in the morning and a X lb bike to pedal along, which quite frankly, is probably not going to be doable.

batteries in new devices are great, but we all know by experience how battery performance can get weird after a while, and again could easily lead to the scenario I described above.

as someone who had to be very aware of battery issues with cameras for years, and the serious consequences if stuff messes up, this is what I think of first-the potential for screwups with batteries and then what do you do? (especially with a screwy battery situation, or any other wacky electrical issue, which could happen).
Old 05-06-18, 08:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18459 Post(s)
Liked 15,713 Times in 7,386 Posts
There are different types of ebikes.
Old 05-06-18, 08:22 AM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I might give it a try but start out with simple overnighters. The charging is the main issue I see. Logistics need to be worked out on their part and unless I had a real interest in touring in the future with this person I'm not sure I would have the patience and interest to help them figure that out. Overnighters simplify this as you can make a reservation at a park with full service sites that's within their bike's range. Once you've done one, the ebike rider will have some idea of what would be required to extend that trip. Cost is a question too, with hiker biker sites going for $4-7, but full service sites going for $30+. Personally I'm not interested in splitting a $30 site when I could enjoy the camaraderie of the much cheaper hike/bike sites where available.

But I suppose it all comes down to how much you want to tour with these people. That's the main question to answer. I'd definitely make it happen if I could get my dad out for a tour, for example.
Old 05-06-18, 08:29 AM
djb

Originally Posted by indyfabz
and undoubtably battery technology will get better and better, more reliable, faster charging, lighter (carrying spares), so I can see in X years taking advantage of the technology to continue biking.
I still immediately think of real life issues with batteries now, and also think of if a bike hasnt been used much and is sitting in a garge mostly for 2, 3, 5 years, and then used, the chances are more that battery behaviour could very well have some surprises.

but I know, this is just forum talk, and interesting to talk about, because lets face it, e bikes are more and more popular and will be used by more and more people, so its actually a good topic to bring up and throw ideas of, especially with the "touring" aspect here, ie not back at home at end of day with your bike inside, out of the rain, charging securely etc etc.

I look at this technology like all technology, it will get more and more reliable, with less hiccups. The reality now in my opinion is that when I see them in stores, I wonder of how in X years, that priporitory battery with its specific shape, plugs etc, will be working in 5 years and how easily it will be to get a new one or whatever.
I do know that Toyota Prius batteries have been around now for a good 10 years and have pretty good reliability overall, so I do figure theres hope.
I do also though think of how family members I know have had circuit boards go in washing machines, toasters, microvaves, tv's (in some cases in less than five years, and these are stationary, inside objects, no vibrations, no rain etc )--so there are concerns more than just batteries....

anyway, interesting topic.
Old 05-06-18, 08:39 AM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Bikes: ‘02 LeMond Tete De Course Titanium (road), ‘98 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (mtb), ‘88 GT Mach One (BMX)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I’m as easy going as they come, but watching a guy effortlessly zip up a hill at the end of a long day as I shlep my way up would just irritate me.

it would have to be a very good friend and they would have to have a very real reason they can’t ride a human powered bike.
Old 05-06-18, 09:21 AM
Cuyuna

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Try it. Ride with them. If it results in an unsatisfactory experience then stop riding with them. I have a couple of friends with ebikes. One I still ride with because I enjoy it, the other I don't because I don't.
Old 05-06-18, 09:30 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I would absolutely love it if an e bike meant my wife would go on a tour with me. Heck, she can drive an RV and meet me at the campsite each night if it meant she would share the experience. As it is she's simply not that into riding a conventional bike the way I am. I generally tour alone so I don't just pick up random strangers to ride with so anyone I do tour with probably has a friend/relative component. Would I not tour with them because of their bike choice?

How about the difference between a fully self supported tour and a sag wagon supported/catered affair. That seems pretty unfair too. I hate it (not really) when I have to set up camp and cook while others role into set up tents, hot food and a mechanic to tend their rental bikes. On the Icefield Parkway last year there were many riders on road bikes with no kit at all zipping by, vans handing out water and snacks at intervals ready to take them to hotels at the end of the day. Sheesh! that's not touring.

If I cared about the people I toured with I would not fixate on the bike instead of the tour too much. I can always adjust the tour to suit the material. Logistically, one would have to calculate the recharge requirements of the e bike is all. Lot's of people CC tour so if one stayed within the e bike range recharge could be pretty easy.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 05-06-18 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-06-18, 09:51 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I guess e-bike technology has progressed recently and is relatively cheap and reliable now. I'm getting quite a few requests from friends/fof/relatives etc who say they can now go on tours with me and when can we go!

Has anyone tried this before? I'm guessing there will be problems such as logistical issues of having to camp/stay near outlets. there will also be ettiques issues as they would whiz up climbs. Any other problems people have encountered or can think of.

But there could be benefits? One benefit is that an e-bike carry the bulk of the food and heavy items. Any other beneifts?
You pretty well have the problem, and the benefit covered... About the only other benefit would be, is you would get to ride with someone who otherwise would not be able to go with you.

Having done 3 previous tours where only I rode and the wife drove the camper on our holidays, then 3 E-Assist bike tours where both me and the wife rode splitting the driving an Hr on an Hr off brought us even closer together, and was great that she could ride too and accomplish something she never thought she could, riding 400Kms+... and... before some of you jump in here and say it was a motorcycle, and anyone can do that, NO it is NOT a motorcycle ride, it was an "assisted" ride meaning out of the 400Kms she actually would have pedaled about 300Kms of it as the battery would have only lasted/been only capable of about/at most 100Km of assist, even if she use 100% of the battery every day, but most days it was just under 50%....

Last edited by 350htrr; 05-06-18 at 10:01 AM. Reason: add stuff
Old 05-06-18, 10:13 AM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
If you enjoy their company, you will make it WORK. As for non electric camp sites ask at the office if you can charge it there, ask someone at an electric site if you can use an outlet. When you stop for lunch they could charge it there. They could have two batteries and that would extend range and maybe go two days between charging. There are so many ways to make it work you just have to open your mind and think.
Old 05-06-18, 11:33 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Why not put all these 'friends/fof/relatives in touch with each other so they can ride together on e-bikes discussing the relative merits of their mobility devices.

No I've never toured with someone on an e-bike but wouldn't rule it out if they had a valid medical reason for not using a bicycle.
Old 05-06-18, 12:15 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
An electric assist bike may mean the difference between touring alone or enjoying the company of a spouse (or friend) who would otherwise have no interest or ability to enjoy the adventure.
Old 05-06-18, 12:22 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 179 Posts
I haven't done it.

With the right folks, I'd probably start the same as with a non e-bike rider that hasn't toured before: start slow with a shakedown ride, e.g. a weekend, so we can see how things work.

Once we're on the ride, unless we've set other expectations, the e-bike becomes part of the adventure and I'll help work through trouble-shooting charging and other issues. Hence prior to that do some due diligence to make sure things can work.

I'm not as concerned about someone zooming ahead or up hills since non-motorized cyclists can already do that. I'm more concerned about limits on range or flexibility. So if someone suggested going together on an overnight to nearby state park or town, I'd say "sure". If someone wanted to join me crossing Nevada, I'd say, "let's try something else first to see if this can work"
Old 05-06-18, 12:24 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
As with everytime this comes up, my opinion remains that what someone else chooses to ride in a non competitive environment doesn't bother me in the least. Carefully discussing and planning and understanding the tour to everyone's expectations and satisfaction is far more important than what they are. An ebike is probably unsuited to a GDMBR tour, its rather unconcerning on a rail trail tour through a populated area.

Originally Posted by RobotGuy
I’m as easy going as they come, but watching a guy effortlessly zip up a hill at the end of a long day as I shlep my way up would just irritate me.

it would have to be a very good friend and they would have to have a very real reason they can’t ride a human powered bike.
I saw this on an organized supported tour. It made me happy that a guy in his late 70s or early 80s was still out on a bike and pedaling most of it, instead of wasting away at home in front of a TV.

I know a few advanced age individuals that use them. Some probably not as needing of them as others, but I hold a live and let live attitude. Far more happy to see them out and enjoying life on an ebike than sitting at home.

That said, I personally draw the line between pedal assist and throttle operated.
Old 05-06-18, 12:36 PM
jefnvk

Oh one big consideration though: ebikes are a big old NO on airplanes, if you need to fly to your tour location.
Old 05-06-18, 01:02 PM
djb

I know someone who flew his e bike to New Zealand, and had to have teh battery shipped by a shipping company, I dont recall the whole details but Im fairly certain he had to ship teh battery seperately, and it cost a pretty penny to do so.

in any case, as you say, not something to forget.
Old 05-06-18, 02:12 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
^ This.

Myself, I don't have an e-bike but have leg damage that might well earn me one at some point. Not that I can't zip right along on the flats okay, but some uphills require power from one of my legs I just cannot muster, if too frequent or too steep. Could use an e-bike's extra little something, on some hills. Can't see how that would preclude touring with others.

OTOH, an e-bike user that used standard pedal power much less frequently would of course require much greater frequency of recharges. Assuming a route that requires such frequent use of the e-power. Certainly makes sense for someone on an e-bike to have sufficient numbers of recharging options for the group/route in question ... solar, spare batts, an appropriate number of recharging stops (or layover days), etc.

I suppose any small group of folks could make reasonable accommodations for the occasional pitstop (or overnight) to recharge. Would depend on the group and the route(s) taken.

I've done longer tours where every 4-5 days turned into a motel stay. Was useful for ensuring everything stayed clean, repairs got done, etc. Should be an option for folks, too, with e-bikes, though not all groups or routes will be suited to that.
Old 05-06-18, 02:42 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
1 question
What is the age limit to get an e bike, 60?
If you tell a 60 year old no ebike, are you cheating him out of his last 10 years of cycling.

They are here to stay, Accept them.
Old 05-06-18, 03:48 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Just be a lot of short days till the battery drains and needs charging, but you got a wheel to stay on while

They do the motor assist pacing..
Old 05-06-18, 03:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Just be a lot of short days till the battery drains and needs hours for charging, but you got a wheel to stay on

while They do the motor assisted pacing..
Old 05-06-18, 03:53 PM
RobotGuy
Semi-Pro Bowler

Bikes: ‘02 LeMond Tete De Course Titanium (road), ‘98 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (mtb), ‘88 GT Mach One (BMX)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I would absolutely love it if an e bike meant my wife would go on a tour with me. Heck, she can drive an RV and meet me at the campsite each night if it meant she would share the experience.
Well said. Like you, I would love to share the joy I get from a bike ride with my wife. It just doesn’t do it for her and if the e bike got her out there, then I’d buy it in a second.
Old 05-06-18, 04:05 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
They'd become a liability very quickly, IMHO.

Range anxiety and hassle of finding an outlet with free-electricity to charge are minor problems...The big problem, for lay people, is their butts simply aren't hardened to being used to hours in the saddle per day. We cyclist whackos forget that, and lay people are amazed at the simple act of sitting on a saddle more than 30 minutes. Many would barely be able to walk after, even keeping days to 20-30 miles to allow use of their moped.

I'm going to put my judgemental hat on....Most people with an assist--well use it, rather than build strength/endurance by sweating/working. There are some (5% maybe?) who use the assist to keep up with their SO-racer when they aren't fit.....but for most everyone else the result being as soon as their battery is done for, you drop them like a stone. Have seen some people on rides like Tour de Nebraska (that is SAG'd to be fair, although some of us yay-whos bag it), they're smiling and gunning it until the battery is dead---first hill without the battery and out the back they go. And you don't see them until late into the afternoon....and by the look on their faces they're spent and past their "having fun and enjoying themselves" threshold.

There is also the problem of weight to manage....as even racy mopeds that are sold weigh 25-30lbs before racks.

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 05-06-18 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-06-18, 06:07 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by djb
I know someone who flew his e bike to New Zealand, and had to have teh battery shipped by a shipping company, I dont recall the whole details but Im fairly certain he had to ship teh battery seperately, and it cost a pretty penny to do so.

in any case, as you say, not something to forget.
Yeah, guess this being BF, I should have qualified that with the battery itself not being allowable, knowing someone would catch me on a technicality

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
.The big problem, for lay people, is their butts simply aren't hardened to being used to hours in the saddle per day. We cyclist whackos forget that, and lay people are amazed at the simple act of sitting on a saddle more than 30 minutes. Many would barely be able to walk after, even keeping days to 20-30 miles to allow use of their moped.
Eh, that happened to me in Iceland without ebikes. The two guys I was with were more fit than I, one could cycle away from me at will, but not conditioned to being on bikes and in need of stopping far more frequently than I preferred.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.