Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Help upgrading my State

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Help upgrading my State

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-14, 06:26 AM
dominic252

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help upgrading my State

Been checking out this forum for about a week before I decided to post in it. I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but here goes nothing...

I got a State bike a couple of years back and I'd like some helping with upgrading. It needs new wheels on account of someone tried to steal my bike and broke them. Been looking at the velocity deep v set and the H + Sons SL42 set. From going on here and Pedalroom, it seems like these are popular and people like them, so I'll probably end up getting one or the other

Also, I think I want to upgrade my frame too...is the Pake Rum Runner a fairly sizable upgrade? I guess I'm just not too sure what to look for in upgrading a frame. I'm pretty sure I want a steel frame because I've read aluminum can be pretty stiff and I don't think I'd like that.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!
Old 06-27-14, 06:39 AM
Steev

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want to get new wheels and a new frame, you want a new bike. You'll get better value buying complete.
Old 06-27-14, 07:31 AM
dominic252

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well see that's the thing, I can't really afford getting a whole new bike. I would like to just upgrade the parts as I go. Honestly, I probably would be better off getting a new bike, but I can't really do that.
Old 06-27-14, 07:54 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Do you have any complaints about the frame? If not, just ride it into the ground as you become more knowledgeable and can make an informed purchase. In the meantime, Velomine offers nice wheel sets at a low price point that will look good on any bike.

Deep V wheels
but more expensive

Last edited by hairnet; 06-27-14 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-27-14, 07:59 AM
dominic252

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I guess I don't really know why I would want to upgrade my frame, other than hearing State isn't that good of a brand. Now let me ask you, can I run a brake on a non-machined rim? It would a front brake.
Old 06-27-14, 08:05 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Yes, it's no problem. On a painted rim it's going to be ugly and noisy until the paint wears off.
Old 06-27-14, 10:14 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
If you can afford new wheels and frame than you can afford a new bike. The rest of the components on the State are generic crap so it makes no sense to transfer them to a new frame
Old 06-27-14, 11:09 AM
MattFoley

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a State...it's been a good bike and I probably ride it more than any of my other bikes. I'm in the process of building a new fixed gear from the frame up, so I've been buying upgraded components here and there and putting them on my State until I pull the trigger on a new frame. I just picked up a set of SL42s and I like them just fine. They roll a lot smoother than the stock State wheels, but aren't appreciably lighter or stiffer. A good upgrade if you need new wheels or if they match the aesthetic you're going for, but they aren't a revelation or anything. I got mine off Velomine...I also grabbed an Omnium crank, since Velomine seems to have them for quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else. Time will tell if I actually transfer the Omniums over to the new frame or just pick up a second set and leave the current set on the State. The State cranks are not fantastic...then again, it's a $400 bike, so I didn't expect them to be.
Old 06-27-14, 11:35 AM
dominic252

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
If you can afford new wheels and frame than you can afford a new bike. The rest of the components on the State are generic crap so it makes no sense to transfer them to a new frame
I was only looking to spend about 400 on upgrades and it seemed like I could get pretty close if I get a rum runner and ~$200 wheels. Unless I'm looking in the wrong places, I couldn't really find anything for that price that seemed like an upgrade to me. I could be wrong though. So I think I'm just going to upgrade my wheels and later down the road do what makes sense to me
Old 06-27-14, 11:36 AM
dominic252

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MattFoley
I have a State...it's been a good bike and I probably ride it more than any of my other bikes. I'm in the process of building a new fixed gear from the frame up, so I've been buying upgraded components here and there and putting them on my State until I pull the trigger on a new frame. I just picked up a set of SL42s and I like them just fine. They roll a lot smoother than the stock State wheels, but aren't appreciably lighter or stiffer. A good upgrade if you need new wheels or if they match the aesthetic you're going for, but they aren't a revelation or anything. I got mine off Velomine...I also grabbed an Omnium crank, since Velomine seems to have them for quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else. Time will tell if I actually transfer the Omniums over to the new frame or just pick up a second set and leave the current set on the State. The State cranks are not fantastic...then again, it's a $400 bike, so I didn't expect them to be.
Glad to hear you like the SL42s because that's what I was looking at! I'll probably do what you are doing and have my frame be the last thing I upgrade. I'm just starting to get back in to riding so I haven't even figured out what I have that I want to replace
Old 06-27-14, 02:38 PM
PistaB

Bikes: Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just built up a pair of Velocity Aeros to some Paul hubs, and for the price, I wouldn't stray away from them. They are definitely stronger, and lighter than any other rim I have ridden so far. weight to strength ration IMO, great wheel for sure. Now since price is a concern, I would go with a cheaper hubset.
Old 06-27-14, 04:46 PM
One4Five145

Bikes: Leader 725 55cm ... Bianchi Pista 51cm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want wheels get a set Miche Pistards they are the best bang for your buck. Those wheels kick ass all day! And Retrogression has them for $250.
Old 06-27-14, 09:08 PM
JOHNinIL

Bikes: 70's Raleigh, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 2007 Giant Boulder SE, no longer have 1969 Schwinn Varsity, 1997 Giant Rincon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dominic, replace your wheels and forgo a frame upgrade. Just ride for god sakes. Doesn't seem like you know what you want in a new frame, nor what your current frame lacks to make a purchasing decision. Just ride what you have and save your money.
Old 06-28-14, 01:49 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Buy decent wheels.
Ride bike.
When you feel like a better bike, buy a better frame, your wheels will probably still be in good nick (they last a long time if looked after).

Of course, there's nothing wrong with eventually buying a decent bike and keeping the old girl for trips where you don't want to risk the good bike.

One thing's for sure, if the bike doesn't ride well, you won't enjoy it and you won't ride it. Wheels are a major part of that. They don't have to be expensive wheels, just decent and you've had some good guidance on where to go there.
Old 06-28-14, 09:06 AM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, how are your current wheels "broken"? Can they be repaired? If you want new wheels by all means get them. If your current wheels are repairable you may want to look into repairing and keeping them.

I've found it useful having an extra set of wheels.
Old 06-30-14, 07:34 AM
dominic252

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all of the help anyone! I decided to just go ahead and get a nice set of H + Son SL42s. Seems like those are popular rims and I found a set in my price range.

Originally Posted by Jared.
Also, how are your current wheels "broken"? Can they be repaired? If you want new wheels by all means get them. If your current wheels are repairable you may want to look into repairing and keeping them.

I've found it useful having an extra set of wheels.
I had my bike locked up at school and someone tried to steal them. Not entirely sure what they did to do it, but my rim ended up bent and a huge whole in the deep v wall.
Old 07-01-14, 03:03 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dominic252
Thanks for all of the help anyone! I decided to just go ahead and get a nice set of H + Son SL42s. Seems like those are popular rims and I found a set in my price range.

I had my bike locked up at school and someone tried to steal them. Not entirely sure what they did to do it, but my rim ended up bent and a huge whole in the deep v wall.
Considering that story, how about going to your local bike co-op and getting a set of older wheels. The rims from the 80s and 90s were pretty good. Free-wheels spin right on because they used spin on cassettes, not the modern free-hub system (you'd have to be going SS unless you want to use brakes with a suicide FG setup). The bearings are loose ball so you can rebuild them to get a nice, free running hub and, most importantly in this situation, the wheels will not a theft magnet like your H+Sons will be.

Just a thought. The wheels you're looking at seem like a good move too.
Old 07-01-14, 07:21 AM
dominic252

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by europa
Considering that story, how about going to your local bike co-op and getting a set of older wheels. The rims from the 80s and 90s were pretty good. Free-wheels spin right on because they used spin on cassettes, not the modern free-hub system (you'd have to be going SS unless you want to use brakes with a suicide FG setup). The bearings are loose ball so you can rebuild them to get a nice, free running hub and, most importantly in this situation, the wheels will not a theft magnet like your H+Sons will be.

Just a thought. The wheels you're looking at seem like a good move too.
Something I didn't even think about...well, hopefully I won't have to worry. Recently moved back home from school and I'm living in the suburbs. Thank you for the advice though!
Old 07-01-14, 08:55 AM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Not sure about the H + Son SL42s but Deep Vs are really heavy.

You might think about some lighter, less blingy wheels if you're serious about getting a better bike. Archetypes are less deep v'd and reasonably light.
Old 07-01-14, 09:48 AM
dominic252

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nightfly
Not sure about the H + Son SL42s but Deep Vs are really heavy.

You might think about some lighter, less blingy wheels if you're serious about getting a better bike. Archetypes are less deep v'd and reasonably light.
Yeah I was looking at those, but I couldn't find a wheel set in my budget. Figured I'd do a modest upgrade for now and then really put some money towards nicer parts once I figure out what I actually want