Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-06, 05:04 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rode mostly a couple lanes over from the right cuz of all the traffic making right turns. Other than that, the usual ride home. Always a thrill riding in the middle of traffic.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 05-08-06, 05:43 PM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the ride to work was very nice... pumped my tires up about 10 psi and it seems like I am zooming along! love it. the ride home was good but HOT. it's not even really hot yet. Drank all my water. only 95 degrees wait until it's 115. nodded at a cyclist and he nodded back. a first. a car almost plowed into me trying to cross a busy street (the one I was on) to the opposite cross street (no light)... she saw me and stopped just as I was grabbing the brakes to stop in the intersection ahead of her. Drivers really don't see you... I feel the same as Brian above, I can't believe how good riding makes me feel. it is so much easier now than two months ago. I can feel how much stronger and faster I am getting. Thanks to everyone who helped me out and continues to on these forums. you really make a difference in people's lives by encouraging them to bike.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 05-08-06, 06:18 PM
badger_bike

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not really a "Commute" today, just a trip up to the campus to hand in my last paper. But it was bright and a little cooler than it's been the past few days, and I think I hit a personal record today. I could've *sworn* I left at 11, but it was 11:05 when I got to campus! It usually takes me more like 8 or 10 minutes. (the distance is only a mile).
Old 05-08-06, 06:35 PM
TRUMPHENT
Dave

Bikes: Nashbar X-Cross 29r wheels front disc brake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My ride was nearly flawless. No flat tires, yipee! I survived the round trip. It is getting hot. The construction on the last leg of the Busway from Dadeland to Florida City construction is well underway and should be completed in 7 years or less. That will mean three less miles on urban streets for my current commute.
Old 05-08-06, 09:05 PM
Urban Shooter

Bikes: 2006 Gary Fisher Opie, 1980's Fuji Grand SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ride into work this morning was great. Sunny and cool. Coming home I fought a terrible headwind for the last few miles that kicked my butt.
Old 05-08-06, 09:09 PM
prevail24
Bike Dork

Bikes: Independent Fabrication steel delux(my baby), Raleigh Highlife (Single Speed Cyclocross), Surly CrossCheck (commuter.work bike when I was a courier), 1957 Schwinn Panther, Bilenky, Surly Karate Monkey Single Speed 29er, Specialized Stumpjumpper 29er,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was my second commute from our new house. We just moved in on thursday. I am only riding till the train, but it is a good 4 miles through a pretty rough neighborhood (north philly) to the train. I made it pretty quick again. It is a good uphill the entire way. The train to work is the same as always. A nice short hill of about 1 mile, and I am at my school.

The ride home was really windy. I did figure out the right combo of streets to get me closest to my house from the train. After next week (coaching lacrosse till then)I wll ride home (27 miles or so)almost every night. hopefully it will not be raining tomorrow.
Old 05-08-06, 10:03 PM
spidercyclist
The Spider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride to work and home. Hardly any traffic today. Very busy at work but had a productive day. I hope the rest of the week goes well. Have a good night.
Old 05-08-06, 10:45 PM
scottmorrison99
New! With Self Loathing!

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode 44 miles yesterday, but forgot sunscreen. I really regretted that today. Ride in was painful, ride home less so due to liberal application of burn gel. Legs and arms resemble lobster parts, and head has helmet hole burns. Kicked butt coming home. Road bike is fast, I could get used to this.

Weird Bike Guy Blog
Old 05-09-06, 06:07 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was so nice this morning, I wish my route were longer. Cool, but warm enough for a t-shirt and shorts. The cagers were behaving themselves, and so was my trike (chain now repaired). I wish I could go out again right now... *sigh*
Old 05-09-06, 06:08 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50F and sunny yet again. Lots of energy stored up. I made good time. Reeled in a dude on an MTB but didn't pass. Just relaxed several yards back for a mile or so before I went off in another direction.

Saw a couple with three huskies and thought about asking for a pull.

Coming up to a stop sign, I saw a copper, so I came to a complete stop. He proceeded to wave me out first. I pulled out and spun up to the 20MPH speed limit, thus dropping the cop. Guess he was just out for a really slow drive.

Then I came up behind a woman (seen her before) waiting at a red light. I said g'morning. She said hi, then grumbled about the light taking too long. It changed a few seconds later and we headed up "the hill." She was on the sidewalk. I was VC on the road. I dropped her on the hill but then I don't have far to ride after that point so I can push harder.

Seeing more cyclists lately.
Old 05-09-06, 06:30 AM
luckysnafu

Bikes: Felt F85 (2007), Fuji Regis (1980's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back on the bike today after driving yesterday. Gloomy morning after some rain last night with a few wet spots on the roads. Made pretty good time for being tired and my legs hurting from my soccer game over the weekend. Had a truck right hook in front of me but I had plenty of time to slow down. Saw another cyclist close to home when I was leaving who was on the sidewalk. I am starting to see a few cyclists a day around here.
Old 05-09-06, 07:07 AM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by buzzman
man, you've got the nasty Comm Av/BU bridge commute. would it be worth it to tack on some miles on your commute and avoid a lot of that? All those pedestrians, car doors, trolley tracks, busy roads, narrow bridge it's like the worst 3 miles of riding. My commute in from Newton could be done right down Comm Ave into downtown but I've opted for the clunky bike path instead. It has it's downsides (many of them) but I just can't keep my focus every morning and evening on all those possible collisions and falls. You've probably gotten pretty used to it by now and seem to handle it well but whew I feel your pain. Every time I go over those tracks I count my blessings they don't take me down.
The only real option is Comm.Ave or Cambridge Street, and that bridge down by the Double Tree Hotel is an absolute nightmare. I could perhaps ride to Soldiers Field Rd. and pick up the bike path from there and ride the Harvard side path to the B.U. Bridge. From there I could mesh back into my normal commute as it's fairly sane once I cross the B.U. Bridge. Maybe I'll take a look at the cross bike I have in the basement to see what it needs. I've been doing rides after work, so I could stop at home and swap.

Todays Commute:

Things appear more calm now that College is done so my commute was uneventful for a change. It's suppose to rain later so my bag was packed with my work clothes and rain gair. I'm kinda hoping it rains so I won't feel like I packed this stuff for nothing.

Last edited by FormerBMX'er; 05-09-06 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-09-06, 07:09 AM
rguysailing
There are no short cuts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a greaaat ride in this morning. My legs were feeling strong and a bus was a block ahead of me. Put the coals to it and me and the bus rode about 2 miles above 30mph :-) That is the first time I've been able to draft and it was fun although it was smelly. Its great that the temps here in Denver are getting to the 50's these days.

Have a good day
Old 05-09-06, 07:09 AM
egonlou

Bikes: Specialized Roubeaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of my colleagues passed me in a car this morning at the West Side Hwy turning onto Canal St. I went back and forth with him until getting to the Manahattan Bridge. Nice ride in this morning
Old 05-09-06, 07:29 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Took the mtb and wore regular shoes today. Riding clipless for the last few months it felt weird not being attached to the pedals. Almost mowed down a couple peds crossing in front of me when I had the green light. I wish people would actually look before they crossed the street.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 05-09-06, 07:42 AM
DC Wheels

Bikes: 06 Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, I laid in bed trying to find excuses to drive in but I pushed on and got on the bike. My first leg is a mile where I wait for a bus that drops me down to a great trail. At first I was concerned because I couldn't find my gloves but I just wiped the sweat off on the seat of my pants every few miles . TMI? I saw a fox jogging along the trail ahead of me before it turned off. The ride was good and felt marvelous. This is week 3 for me and I feel stronger and more confident. I found my gloves when I got to work at the bottom of my backback under my work clothes. 24 miles roundtrip. 1/2 done. 1/2 to go.
Old 05-09-06, 07:44 AM
* jack *

Bikes: more, please.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Weather was crummy but the ride was beautiful, thanks to the new chain on my fixie -

- smooth as silk, and so quiet I was sneaking up on the squirrels. Joy.

(KMC Z610HX 3/32)
Old 05-09-06, 08:15 AM
WhiteRabbit
Railgun of Patience

Bikes: 1997 KHS Summit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride today. I took it a bit easier than I normaly do, and remembered my towel. I'll take the long way home this evening, since I am trying to work up to the Santa Fe Century in two weeks.
Old 05-09-06, 08:20 AM
NM-NewRoadie
Mostly riding...mostly

Bikes: 1992 Trek 3 tube carbon 2200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still fighting alergies, took some decongestant last night 3 hours before I went to bed, worked better that way cuz I was able to breath and sleep, but didn't wake up with medicine head.

ALMOST got out the door in time to do my long ride, but given the semi-****ty condition of my system, I decided not to push my luck and just took the short route into work. Nice cruise in, very slow (average speed like 12 mph :-) and I got in a half hour early. It was kind of nice and different to have my commute be casual and enjoyable, instead of being a training ride :-) I'll have to remember to do that again once in a while.
Old 05-09-06, 08:20 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bloody cold this morning. I got into work at a reasonable hour today, which means I get to leave at a reasonable hour and hit the gym. I'm thinking about going to a bigger gear - 42x14. My knees seem to be okay with the 39x14, but I don't want to push my luck. Maybe Friday...
Old 05-09-06, 08:28 AM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really pleasant ride in. I felt fast, for whatever reason and got to the train 3 minutes early, despite having to go around part of the park, still closed from last week's festivities.

Caught up, after a 6-7 block pursuit, to a bonehead in a TrailBlazer that just had to gun it around me to pass on the right in a closed lane amongst downtown pedestrians, then cut in on my with feet to spare. He couldn't quite bring himself to make eye contact with me while stopped at a light. Jackass. Still, that didn't detract much from a lovely ride.

They say going home, there might be large hail - whoopee!
Old 05-09-06, 09:18 AM
eastbaybob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was drippy this morning, and it took about 10 minutes to get to the office.
Old 05-09-06, 10:21 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Yeah, doncha love it when you give The Look to some jackhole in a landyacht and all of a sudden he's fascinated by a tree on the side of the road.

A gorgeous, gorgeous day that can't be ruined even by the redlight runner in the Honda Accord at 21st Street and 2d Avenue who nearly took off my front wheel. Clearly, she was on some Very Important Errand, possibly even a Mission From God, such that she needed to take great risks with the lives and limbs of others. Godspeed, Redlight Runner!
Old 05-09-06, 10:59 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
On the way in yesterday I got dropped BAD by a young woman on a touring bike with panniers. My only consolation was that she was 25 years younger than me, and I was coming to the end of a 90 minute ride. Still, it stung a little.

She passed me on the right with no warning. I didn't know she was there until she pulled up even with me. I wanted to chew her out, but I couldn't catch her!

On my midnight ride home, I saw lots of cyclists. Most were young guys whizzing around the city. Only one of the 15 had lights, and most were riding on the sidewalk. Some of them whooped and hollered when they saw me with my lights. I hope they get the idea. Anyway, if they keep riding all summer, I should get some great late-night races! I just hope they're not as fast as the girl with the panniers.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-09-06, 11:25 AM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Took the mtb and wore regular shoes today. Riding clipless for the last few months it felt weird not being attached to the pedals. Almost mowed down a couple peds crossing in front of me when I had the green light. I wish people would actually look before they crossed the street.
Heh yes it does feel a tad weird not to have clips. Thats why I don't ride my Wally's world bike to work and only ride it on the weekends.

There is this overpass that has random joggers who like to cross the road without clearing it. Sop they'll be half way into the first lane which is what i'm in before they see me. and they're like #$@^@!#%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.