Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Why does everyone like Camelbacks?

Old 03-14-13, 10:30 AM
mtn.cyclist

Bikes: Litespeed Obed, Cannondale Scalpel, Spcialized AWOL, Litespeed Solano, Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started using Geigerrig bladders last summer. You pressurize them with a pump and the water sprays into your mouth. No trying to suck water and air at the same time!
https://www.geigerrig.com/
Old 03-14-13, 12:07 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by ythe1300
Is there a good under saddle cage anyone would recommend, I ride a 50cm frame so there isn't really any extra room in the triangle. I have seen a few of these but they all look a bit flimsy.
A buddy of mine likes his VelEau. Humorous review here: https://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...sibly-imagine/
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-14-13, 01:05 PM
carfart

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't used a Camelbak in years but did some long rides last year with a Nathan running vest and a UD Wasp. Having front pockets or pouches is really convenient if you don't have a handlebar bag.
Old 03-28-13, 01:41 AM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I mainly use Camelback for MT biking even long distance mt bike events, when on road bike its all bottles, looks better
Old 04-06-13, 06:15 AM
rusheleven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32
when on road bike its all bottles, looks better
and we all know that how you look is at least 90% of the game

I'm a water bladder guy. I forget to drink if all I have is bottles.
For mtb its a CB Mule NV
for road its a CB Classic
for gravel its either of the above depending on distance and/or a bladder in my frame bag with the cable routed around the handlebars! (this is my favorite set up)
Old 04-15-13, 10:07 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I like my 3L (100 fl oz) Hydrapak because
  • it is very convenient and carries a lot of water (~4 bottles)
  • it is easy for me to grab the straw
  • I can sip several times without letting go of the straw
  • my hand only needs to release my handlebars shortly to put the straw in my mouth
  • I can drop the straw without my hands
  • I don't have to bend down or back to get the straw, it is right by my chest
  • I can store other stuff in the pack such as keys, small wallet, sunblock, etc.
On my ride out to camp, the last 28km (1hr30min+) on a hot, summer day, on which there are no water stops, some areas of soft sandy gravel, other areas of washboard road, close passing cars pulling boats on trailers, it is good to have a water supply that I don't need to move my hands or shift my body much to get at or put away.
Old 04-15-13, 10:45 AM
Graupel731

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
Here's one of my old drop bar endurance rigs set up with a gallon of water on the bike. Room for another under the downtube. I could have added two liters behind the seat like barretscv, but didn't need to.

indoors and native
Nice rig!! Sorry, I have to ask, what kind of bike/bike frame is that and what is the blank "bar" under the top tube?
Old 04-24-13, 09:53 PM
grncab97

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a camelbak if I'm going to ride longer than 80 miles or if I'm going to be riding where there is no water. I don't have a problem with it being too heavy but boy does it make my back sweaty. Still I never ride a double century without one.
Old 05-13-13, 09:24 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I wear a camelback, but only on longer rides (25+ miles). I have no problem with the added weight on my back, on a hot day I actually find it cooling. Speaking of cooling, I find the temperature of water in the camelback to stay cold longer than the water bottle mounted to my rack. It also helps that my camelback doubles as a backpack, that I can store my keys, wallet, granola bars, and anything else I may need or pick up along the way.
Old 05-13-13, 09:32 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
You fill the bladder with ice and you are drinking cold water for much of your ride. That is a really big deal esp. in the right kind of climate. I grew up in Louisiana and summer rides there are a challenge with the heat and high humidity. Camelbacks made a big difference in comfort level on a ride. Up north where I live now and it's not so humid, I don't use camelbacks as often. Still they're hard to beat for a long ride.
Old 05-13-13, 09:50 PM
BikeSag

Bikes: Volagi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only time I have ever used a Camelback is for off road. This allows me to drink and ride wile keeping both hands on the bars. I am mostly ride on the road and prefer the water bottle. Shower Pass has a hydration system that fits under the saddle with a tube and bite valve like other hydration systems use. Here is a link for more info https://www.showerspass.com/about-veleau
Old 05-13-13, 10:04 PM
HooKooDooKu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not a long distance rider (nor a competitor rider). But I hbecause ave done both road riding and mountain bike riding. When road riding, water bottles were "good enough" because you could reach and pickup the bottle while you keep riding.

But on a mountain bike, the trail (at least the ones I was on) was too rough to take your hands off the handle bars except for a moment... too short a time to pick up a water bottle, drink, and replace it. That basically meant that on a mountain bike, I could not get a drink unless I stopped.

So even with some of it's negatives, a camelback became a requirement to be able to drink on the go.
Old 06-02-13, 04:51 AM
jjames1452 

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
I needed a new bladder for my Camelback and put off buying it. It is cool in Ohio now, and I figured I would survive with a water bottle for a while. 1. Going to a water bottle when riding is a PITA. I don't drink as often - so I cramp more. 2. My water bottle fell out of the holder when I did not put it back properly. I ran over it and almost wrecked.

I paid 2x the price of the bladder at a sporting goods store just so I would have it for this morning's ride!
Wrecking my bike would cost a bunch more than the $15 too much I paid for the bladder. Thank goodness I have my Camelback back!
Old 06-02-13, 01:58 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I'm not everybody, I could Care Less.

2 bikes I had a Hand in Designing all have places for 4 water bottle cages.
Old 06-03-13, 12:03 PM
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've used a CamelBak since they first arrived on the scene; first for dirt bikes, then for cycling. To be honest, I carry both... the CamelBak because it holds enough water and basic gear for a day ride like a century, and the water bottle comes in handy for dousing the head on a hot day, tending to an injury on the road, deterring the canine nipping at your heels, etc.
Old 06-03-13, 05:15 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
To ask why everyone likes Camelbaks is sort of funny, because I don't think that everyone likes them. With that stated, I like them just fine when hiking, but I do NOT like them when I'm riding on a bicycle. I know plenty of folks who use them when they ride their bicycles, but I find them quite uncomfortable when I'm riding.
Old 06-03-13, 08:21 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like their water bottles, works perfectly.
Old 06-03-13, 10:42 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I just started using a hydration pack, and I have to say it works really well for long distances. I got 100 miles into my most recent ride before I ran out of water. Unfortunately, I still ran out of water.