Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Photo of the Day - or Week - or Whatever

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Photo of the Day - or Week - or Whatever

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 12:58 PM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
My trusty steed...

Old 09-12-16, 10:43 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
When at a crossroad in the road, remember that NOT deciding is a poor choice in the hot sun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160912_122825 (2).jpg (98.0 KB, 463 views)
Old 09-24-16, 07:16 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
This guy's seatpost looks like it could serve double duty as an onion chopper.

Old 10-02-16, 04:33 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Pictures don't do justice to how dirty this place really is. The display case of meth pipes, beer, condoms, more cigarettes than an Indian reservation, the guy behind the bullet proof glass....Buying a Power Aid here is unique experience.

Dallas, Georgia

Hiram, Georgia

Random Country Road

Last edited by TimothyH; 10-02-16 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-03-16, 11:16 PM
Hill-Pumper

Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if this qualifies as a picture, but it is a video that I shot while riding my mountain bike. It's my first attempt using a GoPro, so maybe not as refined as other videos. Also, if you don't like the raw sound of the video, I found it is sort of cool to turn off the sound, then find somewhere on the web that you can play Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida in another tab.

Old 10-04-16, 03:41 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Horseshoe Bay

Old 10-04-16, 05:31 PM
Pauley L
Banned.

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper
It's my first attempt using a GoPro, so maybe not as refined as other videos.
Ouch. That's an understatement. I just clicked through. Keep working on it.
Old 10-05-16, 08:23 AM
Hill-Pumper

Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pauley L
Ouch. That's an understatement. I just clicked through. Keep working on it.
If you you have some constructive criticism, or a wealth of knowledge on tips to make it better, please feel free to share them. If you only have snide rude remarks that are the equivalent of "Your video sucks", feel free to keep them to yourself.

Last edited by Hill-Pumper; 10-05-16 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-05-16, 12:19 PM
Pauley L
Banned.

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you you have some constructive criticism, or a wealth of knowledge on tips to make it better, please feel free to share them. If you only have snide rude remarks that are the that are the equivalent of "Your video sucks", feel free to keep them to yourself.
Just the truth...

Length: Nobody is interested in watching 17 minutes of you riding. Edit it down. Mix up the shots. Example: nobody wants to watch you climb up a boring fire road.

Framing #1: Include a rider in front of you (or behind, see below) to make the video more interesting.

Framing #2: When using a helmet mount make sure that your schnoz and helmet are not in the frame. Since you're using a FF you can mount the Gopro under the chin guard, mount it teletubby-style, or adjust the side mounting angle and/or adjust the FOV to medium.

Framing #3: Mount the camera so that it is looking where a rider's eyes should be looking. Down the trail. You've mounted it pointing too low.

Framing#4: Mix in off-bike footage to make your video more interesting. You can also attach the camera to various parts of your bike but in my experience much of that footage is crap.

Shakiness: When using a static (not gimbal) mount, it's really important to use your legs, arms, neck, head, etc. to absorb trail shock to ensure the smoothest capture possible. This becomes even more important as speeds increase.

Speed: More speed = more interesting footage. This comes with experience.

Sound: Edit to a tune while retaining trail noise to make your video more engaging. Use Gopro's plug to eliminate the clicking/knocking.
Old 10-05-16, 02:58 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Just the truth...

Length: Nobody is interested in watching 17 minutes of you riding. Edit it down. Mix up the shots. Example: nobody wants to watch you climb up a boring fire road.

Framing #1: Include a rider in front of you (or behind, see below) to make the video more interesting.

Framing #2: When using a helmet mount make sure that your schnoz and helmet are not in the frame. Since you're using a FF you can mount the Gopro under the chin guard, mount it teletubby-style, or adjust the side mounting angle and/or adjust the FOV to medium.

Framing #3: Mount the camera so that it is looking where a rider's eyes should be looking. Down the trail. You've mounted it pointing too low.

Framing#4: Mix in off-bike footage to make your video more interesting. You can also attach the camera to various parts of your bike but in my experience much of that footage is crap.

Shakiness: When using a static (not gimbal) mount, it's really important to use your legs, arms, neck, head, etc. to absorb trail shock to ensure the smoothest capture possible. This becomes even more important as speeds increase.

Sound: Edit to a tune while retaining trail noise to make your video more engaging. Use Gopro's plug to eliminate the clicking/knocking.

^ All good advice. Lemme tell you ... it is a lot of work to snip together a good video, find appropriate music, and at least roughly synchronize the two.

Old 10-05-16, 04:12 PM
jtaylor2

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I don't know if this qualifies as a picture, but it is a video that I shot while riding my mountain bike. It's my first attempt using a GoPro, so maybe not as refined as other videos. Also, if you don't like the raw sound of the video, I found it is sort of cool to turn off the sound, then find somewhere on the web that you can play Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida in another tab.
Actually I liked it. I only watched about 8 minutes, but it was exactly what it said it was, video of a mountain bike ride. Contrary to other opinions I liked the downward perspective so you could see the front wheel and how it was negotiating obstacles. It would probably be better without the helmet in the picture, but then again it wasn't that distracting. I also liked that it had the actual ride sounds instead of music. If it had music it probably wouldn't be something I liked and I'm watching a bike ride. If I wanted a music video professional ones are all over the web.

Thanks for inviting me along on your ride.

Jim
Old 10-05-16, 07:50 PM
Hill-Pumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just the truth...

Well Mr Pauley L, it looks like you have managed to get yourself banned in a total of 25 post.

Originally Posted by Biker395
^ All good advice. Lemme tell you ... it is a lot of work to snip together a good video, find appropriate music, and at least roughly synchronize the two.
Snipping is certainly a skill that I will have to learn. I actually have other videos from both the top of my helmet, and from the straps on my Camelbak to play with. As far as music, finding good pieces that are free, and not copyright protected is a chore. I have another video that I put music to from the strap mount that was kind of fun. I'll keep playing with it.

Originally Posted by jtaylor2
Actually I liked it. I only watched about 8 minutes, but it was exactly what it said it was, video of a mountain bike ride. Contrary to other opinions I liked the downward perspective so you could see the front wheel and how it was negotiating obstacles. It would probably be better without the helmet in the picture, but then again it wasn't that distracting. I also liked that it had the actual ride sounds instead of music. If it had music it probably wouldn't be something I liked and I'm watching a bike ride. If I wanted a music video professional ones are all over the web.

Thanks for inviting me along on your ride.

Jim

Thanks!
Old 10-06-16, 11:31 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
Horseshoe Bay

That is one SERIOUS looking bike! Yikes.

Love the photo, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen Horseshoe Bay that sunny and gorgoeous. But then to be honest, I've only been there as many times as I can count on two hands.
Old 10-07-16, 02:14 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hunting Grizzly

Well, perhaps not hunting, but following the tracks in Denali Park. Tracks are not easy to see in the photo but they're there. Didn't see any grizzly but did run into 6 Dall Rams crossing the road right in front of me. Very unusual.
Attached Images
IMG_1203.jpg (98.2 KB, 312 views)
Old 10-07-16, 06:27 AM
Cyclist0084

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by jtaylor2
actually i liked it. I only watched about 8 minutes, but it was exactly what it said it was, video of a mountain bike ride. Contrary to other opinions i liked the downward perspective so you could see the front wheel and how it was negotiating obstacles. It would probably be better without the helmet in the picture, but then again it wasn't that distracting. I also liked that it had the actual ride sounds instead of music. If it had music it probably wouldn't be something i liked and i'm watching a bike ride. if i wanted a music video, professional ones are all over the web.

thanks for inviting me along on your ride.

Jim
+1

I too happened to like the video.

Last edited by Cyclist0084; 10-07-16 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-07-16, 06:55 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Beautiful day....

Yes, only one water bottle/cage. Any ride less than 40 miles is a one water bottle day. Anything over that, I carry my Camebak Rogue. A light on shore breeze today, and sunshine galore along the coast of Maine....
Life is good!
Attached Images
IMG_1148.jpg (98.2 KB, 299 views)
Old 10-07-16, 07:42 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc
That is one SERIOUS looking bike! Yikes.

Love the photo, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen Horseshoe Bay that sunny and gorgoeous. But then to be honest, I've only been there as many times as I can count on two hands.
Thanks. It's a great bike, but with a weak motor.

Horseshoe bay is a nice winding, hilly ride from my office downtown, about 55km return when I can sneak in a long two hour lunch.
Old 10-09-16, 02:17 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Did an 80 mile ~7000 foot ride yesterday. The highlight was climbing the Montezuma Grade. 4000 feet from the hot desert floor. It's the same grade that the racers descend on the Race Across America and the Race Across the West.

Another highlight: Pie in Julian. Cuz as we all know, it's all about the pie.

Old 10-09-16, 04:51 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Riding solo out of Sosebee Cycling Park, White, Georgia

-Tim-
Old 10-10-16, 09:06 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

^ Jeez ... beautiful roads!

Old 10-10-16, 10:03 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

^ Jeez ... beautiful roads!

Yeah, they write songs about Georgia.

Here are some more Georgia roads from last winter...

Last edited by TimothyH; 10-10-16 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-12-16, 11:38 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Thank you Biker395 for recommending the Glendora Mountain Road. An amazing ride, the photos ( at least the ones I took) do not do justice to the beauty. It's on my must ride again list. Vic, love the photos and ride reports, great inspiration. P.S. Tasty burgers at the Mt.Baldy Lodge!

Old 10-15-16, 01:31 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

"Ma White's Bottom Land", Silver Comet Trail near Rockmart, Georgia

Glade along the creek, Silver Comet Trail, approaching Rockmart, Georgia

Railroad cuts through the rough terrain, east of the Brushy Mountain Tunnel, Silver Comet Trail, Georgia

-Tim-
Old 10-15-16, 02:51 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Did an 80 mile ~7000 foot ride yesterday. The highlight was climbing the Montezuma Grade. 4000 feet from the hot desert floor. It's the same grade that the racers descend on the Race Across America and the Race Across the West.

Another highlight: Pie in Julian. Cuz as we all know, it's all about the pie.

I love and appreciate your priorities!!
Old 10-16-16, 06:53 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
This guy's seatpost looks like it could serve double duty as an onion chopper.

Maybe it's similar to those cane-swords, and the seat post is actually a sheath for a utility knife for all your camping and trail-blazing needs!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.