Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Mini pump for touring

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Mini pump for touring

Old 12-30-19, 06:55 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Mini pump for touring

My wife and I are planning to do some touring in our tandem. We've been using CO2 cartridge for flat repair. We would like to get a Mini pump which would fit in our trunk bag and be good for touring use. The bag will fit a pump that's about 12 inches +/-. Love to hear your thoughts.
Old 12-30-19, 07:25 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Lezyne
Likes For Pratt:
Old 12-30-19, 07:28 PM
danmyersmn

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul J
My wife and I are planning to do some touring in our tandem. We've been using CO2 cartridge for flat repair. We would like to get a Mini pump which would fit in our trunk bag and be good for touring use. The bag will fit a pump that's about 12 inches +/-. Love to hear your thoughts.
Lezyne micro floor drive hp if you can fit it. I think it is a bit too big. I steal mine to the side of my bag. Next would be
Lezyne HP drive.
Old 12-30-19, 08:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
Curmudgeon here. If you can deal with a frame pump, you won't regret it that day when all goes wrong. I flatted twice today. Old tire, poorly executed patch. First time I pumped the tire too hard with 85 strokes. (Zephal Classic. Basically an HPX.) More than one ride of a number of riders has made it to the finish because somebody carried a frame pump. With a good frame pump there is no limit to how many tires it can pump up and the limit that you can pump up is a big number.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-30-19, 08:07 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
I have no experience with the Lezyne pumps. I use Topeak Road or Mountain Morph. They work. Mind that you tighten the collar holding the pump head seals.
Old 12-30-19, 08:14 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
Topeak road morph has been reliable for me and I like the gauge.
Old 12-30-19, 10:35 PM
pakeboi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
What is the Max PSI you need ?
Old 12-31-19, 09:38 AM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Topeak Mini Morph. Crossed the continent with one. Did the job whenever it was needed, especially during an encounter with goat head thorns.
Old 12-31-19, 09:40 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I carry a Lezyne pump and CO2 inflator and cartridges. The pump mounts on the water bottle bosses.

Likes For alan s:
Old 12-31-19, 09:40 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
I forgot that our tandem has a pump peg. With that the Zephal full size HPX pump might be the best option, I hadn't thought of that for some reason. Thanks Ben! i'll get that measured and select the appropriate length.
Old 12-31-19, 10:31 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by danmyersmn
Lezyne micro floor drive hp if you can fit it.
That's my choice as well. Actually I use the High Volume version, since I'm riding on tires that are over 2 inches wide. I replaced my Topeak Mountain Morph with it when the Topeak quit working. But either one of those were preferable to any mini pump or frame pump I ever tried. They work more like a floor pump, which makes them much easier to use, in my opinion, but it can also make them slightly bulkier than some option. Worth it. If memory serves, the Topeak was a little smaller and probably lighter. I definitely feel like the Lezyne is higher quality and easier to use.

I got a nice frame pump once specifically because my bike had the peg for it, so I thought I might as well. Used it once, then went back to the mini-floor-pump style. But I will say that part of my decision to use that style is that I frequently have to pack my bike with the tires partially deflated, so every trip starts with me assembling my bike and inflating the tires. If my pump was a "just in case" device, I might go with "easiest to carry" instead of of "easiest to use," but I know I'll be using it, so I take the pump that is easier to use.
Old 12-31-19, 10:37 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
If you usually use CO2, does that mean skinny high pressure tires? If so, the pressure becomes an issue as a lot of small portable pumps are hard to get up to the really high pressures.

Several years ago we often saw pump questions and most answers were to get the Road Morph G or the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive. Since I owned both, I wrote up a comparison, here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...l#post18521373

I would suggest you get a bracket to attach to the frame to hold the pump, then your size criteria is less important.
Old 12-31-19, 12:07 PM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Likes For bktourer1:
Old 12-31-19, 11:20 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by bktourer1
I'm going to copy you copying mev by saying that the Topeak road morph has been reliable for me and I like the gauge.

compared to frame pumps, these mini floor style pumps really work well, so much easier pumping down towards the ground and not having to fight with the end of pump to make sure you don't move and damage the valve.
Old 01-01-20, 02:17 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Another vote for a Topeak "morph" pump. They make a Road Morph, a Mini Morph, and one other Morph that is more MTB oriented. I have a Mini Morph, and have used it for 11 years. Only recently have I moved it to my hybrid / commuter bike, off of my road bike because the Lezyne road pump just looks nicer. But really function ought to win over fashion, and even moreso when touring. The Mini Morph or one of its siblings is great.

Nice features: The pump is designed to be used like a mini floor pump. The hose comes out the side of the pump, and connects to either presta or schraeder valves. There's a little foot-brace that swings out. It takes about 250 pumps to bring a set of 28mm tires up to 100 PSI, which is probably higher than they need to be. But any mini pump is going to take 200 to 300 pumps to get the tire up to normal pressure. What is better about this pump is that you're pushing against the ground. Much easier to operate.
Old 01-01-20, 07:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Road Morph G.
Old 01-02-20, 05:02 PM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
Likewise. I needed to replace my lost Mountain Morph (no gauge) so bought a Road Morph. It's been great, although a bit heavier than the MT version. Both have hoses and foot tabs so you can pump against the ground like a floor pump which is also excellent. I didn't think having a pump with a gauge was going to be important, but I love the piece of mind of knowing how much pressure I'm running. I also like to tour in the desert, so good to know I'm not overinflated when the pavements nears 200 degrees.

FWIW, the road morph is a high pressure pump. Up to 120 psi I think? Whereas the MT version, and MT pumps in general, top out around a 60 psi max.
Old 01-02-20, 06:49 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
The Lezyne pump I use has a gauge in the hose. The gauge is fairly accurate. The pump itself is easy to operate, although probably not as easy as the Topeak. Best feature is its compact size and ability to mount next to the water bottle.
Old 01-03-20, 06:58 AM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
My Road Morph G has treated me well. Only criticism is that the gauge tends to jump in discrete steps rather than smoothly.
Old 01-03-20, 01:50 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
For what it is worth, maybe not much if you are looking for a "big" pump -

The bontrager rush road is what I have on my touring bike. It is a combo CO2/hand pump (no gauge). Mine is the older model with the red/maroon valve cap.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black

Of note - unless the design is tweaked some - the pump housing threads to the head assembly. You will want to make sure everything is "tight" before trying to pump a tire up with it. In fact, this goes for every pump out there: Know how your pump works, what can go wrong with it, how to set it up properly, and how to repair it at home before you need it on a ride.

That having been said, I don't have any trouble getting up to 60psi with this pump on 700cx38mm tires. I do not use the CO2. It is there if I need it, but my theory is those are last-ditch options. The same goes for the CO2 though - if the pump isn't set up properly and doesn't seal well if you go to use a CO2 cartridge you'll waste it. So my thought is to hand pump. If I am really worn out or there are other circumstances I may try one, just has not happened yet. In fact, in 7 years I've only had one flat on that bike anyway...

On the other side of the coin, if you can get a pump that has a built-in gauge that may help and would be more efficient as far as pumping time goes. It certainly isn't "needed". I need to replace my stand-alone Presta gauge as it doesn't work. I tried to use it when I had my flat but it wouldn't seal on the valve stem. So I'll be on the hunt for a new one, not sure what quality gauges are out there. However, it isn't even 100% necessary for me - I can go off ride feel and get close enough to ride fine. I don't max out the pressure on my tires and I am not overly concerned with rolling resistance. Though, I do air up when I load up vs more normal riding.
Old 01-03-20, 08:18 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
^^^^^This....^^^^^ I have one and the gauge is nice to insure you are carrying the right pressure. That's no so important on a day ride, but on a touring bike, it's nice.
Old 01-03-20, 09:46 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
I've always felt the Topeak Road Morph is an excellent pump unless you're like this moron who forgot to throw it into one of his panniers during less than ideal trail conditions. Unfortunately I "heard" that this one was almost toast after this little episode.

Old 01-03-20, 11:17 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Robow, boy that shot really makes the case for mudguards as the Poms call them.
Likes For djb:
Old 01-04-20, 07:42 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
I've always felt the Topeak Road Morph is an excellent pump unless you're like this moron who forgot to throw it into one of his panniers during less than ideal trail conditions. Unfortunately I "heard" that this one was almost toast after this little episode.
I ALWAYS put a bit of tape over the hole in the chuck to keep dirt and dust out of it, that helps to prevent getting any dirt in my valve stem valve. Even on a nice day, you can get a lot of dust in there.

I have bought a few Road Morph pumps at swap meets for a cheap price that needed a complete disassembly and cleaning. But that one looks like it is too far gone.

Even with fenders on the bike, a lot of road grime can land on anything attached to the downtube. I usually put the pump bracket on the seattube bottle mounts instead of downtube, my left leg sometimes just barely rubs on the pump, but it is not bothersome enough to change.
Old 01-04-20, 01:11 PM
BritishV8

Bikes: 1979 Bridgestone SkyWay, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 2002 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 2018 Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I started with CO2, and then purchased a used Lezyne at my local bike coop. I don't know its model name. Maybe it was already worn out by the previous owner. It was disappointing too..

I upgraded to a Zefal Profil FC03. Here's what I like about it:
- it has a much more effective mud cap.
- it has a short hose rather than clamping directly at the valve stem (therefore less likely to bend stem).
- the hose end literally screws onto the valve stem rather than having a lever type clamp. (That's a bigger advantage than I realized until I tried it!)
- it gets my tires to 90+ psi easily, and would certainly go higher if I wanted
- it's only 7" long, and it only weighs 3.5 ounces. Crazy!

Since I mounted the Zefal on my frame, you might think its short length wouldn't matter much. The one thing that worries me about the Zefal is that it's so cute and expensive looking that it might get swiped, but since it's small, it's easier for me to tuck it into my pannier once I arrive somewhere. (I do the same with LED lights, etc.)

I mounted my old Lezyne on my commuter bike, because it will at least get me to "limp home" pressure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.