Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

50 years later, another Mercier

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

50 years later, another Mercier

Old 08-06-19, 01:54 PM
bfuser191509248

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I'm thinking it's time for you to track down another Mercier but one in red.
Yeah, I love my green bike, but my dream find would be another clean and at least near-original Mercier (ideally a 300, but I'd consider the other models) close to the color of my original '69. I wouldn't want to call that color "red", though. It definitely was not a straight red color, but more what I would call burgundy. Both original colors are out there on existing bikes, and the difference between the two is of course pretty distinct. The burgundy below (and others I've seen in photos) seems to have darkened a bit with age:

Cool pics and great memories no doubt.
Thanks, and yes- the memory of that bike goes beyond what I can describe in words.

Last edited by bfuser191509248; 08-06-19 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-06-19, 05:51 PM
bfuser191509248

Here's another example from the general "red" family of colors. It might even be closer to the color of my '69, even though this one looks later. It has the somewhat oddball (less often seen) decals, featuring the waving Raymond Poulidor on the front of the seat tube.

Came across this red beauty (non-export) on one of the euro forums. Looks to be the same color as my '69. Would love to find one like this.

Last edited by bfuser191509248; 08-07-19 at 04:07 PM. Reason: additional photos
Old 08-07-19, 12:26 PM
bfuser191509248

Originally Posted by JimR56
I also have come across a couple of long-existing european bicycle discussion forums, one of which may have a lot more info on Mercier history. Haven't had a chance to go through them yet, but I'm hoping to find a lot of good info, so stay tuned if you're interested in this.
So far, the large majority of what I'm finding is related to Merciers made for (and having remained in) the European market. And most of those are from the latter 70's and early 80's (and most are pink). Anyway, there is one long thread here that goes back to 2012. Unless you're multi-lingual, you may need a translator for your browser. I'm only up to 2013 so far, but I found scans of the complete Mercier catalog for 1983, which were posted here.

Also found a link to the complete 1977 catalog: 1977 Mercier catalog

More to come, I hope.

Last edited by bfuser191509248; 08-07-19 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-16-19, 10:54 PM
bfuser191509248

The Merciers I've seen that are indicated as being pre-1969 are typically a bit different from the '69-'72 imports. Here are a couple of examples:

I discovered something else about these pre-1969 (european market) bikes. Many of them feature these decals on the seat tube, with "Grand Prix des Nations 1963". So far I've encountered two different designs:

Not sure if these were a special issue, or whether this was a standard part of the design for a given model.
Old 08-19-19, 04:58 AM
Amocat223

Bikes: Gios

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Here's mine before and after .. I believe its a 1974 model 'Service des Courses' but uncertain , it has a 'Competizione Special' decal on the left hand chainstay and no it not a typo 'Competizione' with a 'Z' ! Frame is light and not sure of tubing but guessing 'Vitus 171 / 181 ' or '531' maybe , 'Vitus' drops and 'BCM (Bocama)' lugs , seat tube angle 73deg / 75 deg head tube , also has 'Campagnolo Produti' decals i believe are also original . Lugs are gold lined , bar and stem are 'Belleri' , seat post is 'Brev.Mercier' and came with 'Mafac gold Competition' brakes/levers .

I would sure like to know more about this bike .

Old 08-19-19, 07:49 PM
bfuser191509248

Originally Posted by Amocat223
Here's mine before and after .. I believe its a 1974 model 'Service des Courses' but uncertain , it has a 'Competizione Special' decal on the left hand chainstay and no it not a typo 'Competizione' with a 'Z' ! Frame is light and not sure of tubing but guessing 'Vitus 171 / 181 ' or '531' maybe , 'Vitus' drops and 'BCM (Bocama)' lugs , seat tube angle 73deg / 75 deg head tube , also has 'Campagnolo Produti' decals i believe are also original . Lugs are gold lined , bar and stem are 'Belleri' , seat post is 'Brev.Mercier' and came with 'Mafac gold Competition' brakes/levers .

I would sure like to know more about this bike .
Thanks Amocat. Very nice bike you have there. Have you owned it for a long time? The gold Mafac parts are something I have been dreaming about owning eventually, but I imagine using them on a bike that I would feel more comfortable customizing (which I don't plan to do with my current Mercier). I like the way you tied in the gold mods with your lug linings. It all looks fantastic against the blue of the frame (better combination, imo, than compared with the pink Merciers I've seen with gold parts). I also prefer the white bar tape you chose over the black. Visually, I would have perhaps preferred tires more like the originals, but that's a minor quibble, and it's clear that you wanted to go in a very different direction. If you'd like to elaborate on your rims and tire change (and why you chose that type of tire), I'm interested in hearing more.

Based on your decals, and what I have read thus far, I would have thought that your bike might have dated to somewhere in the 1976-78 period. But I'm still trying to sort out those kinds of details. Someone like Guianin, who posted above, would probably be better qualified to help to suggest a date range.
Old 08-20-19, 07:43 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
I owned this Mercier until a few weeks ago. I picked it up for cheap and thought if my daughter didn't want it I would pass it on. It didn't fit her so it is now gone. Except for the decals it was in excellent condition.

Old 08-21-19, 05:35 PM
Amocat223

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Amocat. Very nice bike you have there. Have you owned it for a long time? The gold Mafac parts are something I have been dreaming about owning eventually, but I imagine using them on a bike that I would feel more comfortable customizing (which I don't plan to do with my current Mercier). I like the way you tied in the gold mods with your lug linings. It all looks fantastic against the blue of the frame (better combination, imo, than compared with the pink Merciers I've seen with gold parts). I also prefer the white bar tape you chose over the black. Visually, I would have perhaps preferred tires more like the originals, but that's a minor quibble, and it's clear that you wanted to go in a very different direction. If you'd like to elaborate on your rims and tire change (and why you chose that type of tire), I'm interested in hearing more.

Based on your decals, and what I have read thus far, I would have thought that your bike might have dated to somewhere in the 1976-78 period. But I'm still trying to sort out those kinds of details. Someone like Guianin, who posted above, would probably be better qualified to help to suggest a date range.
Thanks Jim , i got the bike thru a good deal last spring and since it was a tad big for me - 62cm i ride 58 mostly - i chose to take it apart and waited for some good parts to come along for a build which did in the form of a Marinoni which is another story all together , anyhow , i had a new pair of Clement 700x33c tires that was keeping for a gravel grinder build but decided to fit them on a set of Mavic rear and Aurora front rims to see how they would look mounted and the rest is what you see as the final product - i showed it to a friend who immediately fell in love with it and might be interested in adding to his collection but will miss it greatly if it does go that route ..oh well , as long as it gets a good home i cant really complain !
Old 08-21-19, 07:02 PM
bfuser191509248

Good stuff, Amocat. In re-reading, I see that I got mixed up a little bit in terms of "before" and "after". Oops! Anyway, it's kind of cool to see an old Mercier modified to suit someone's different vision for its functionality. Since I only have two bikes, which are very different, it makes me imagine what else (some type of hybrid) might be possible for me in the future.
Old 08-22-19, 04:28 PM
bfuser191509248

As part of my ongoing interest in examining Mercier history, here are some various badge images I've managed to track down. If anyone has additions or corrections, please jump in!

1930's (I have a lot of experience with Art Deco and design from the period, and I think this is pretty fantastic, if a bit faded):

1940's/50's?

1950's?

1960's

Foil badge (late 60's? early 70's?)
Old 08-23-19, 04:31 PM
bfuser191509248

Came across this online recently, for sale in Halifax/Bedford. I couldn't help but notice 1) the lack of chrome on the forks and stays; and 2) the half hoods (is that the correct term?) and abbreviated bar tape.

With regard to 1, it reminds me to bring up the fact that I'm not familiar with any Mercier import history with regard to Canada. Anyone know anything about that? It seems that a fairly high percentage of examples I've come across in Canada don't have any chrome on the forks and stays, or at least conform more in general with european market bikes (and this one also has the "Special Tour de France" decal on the top tube, another euro market feature). So it's unclear to me whether there was an established import program in Canada back in the day, or whether I'm just seeing euro bikes that ended up in Canada.

With regard to 2, the combination of half hoods and less than full bar tape seems relatively uncommon (and on bikes like this that appear to be unmolested, it appears to be factory original in this regard). These two details also happen to have been the spec on my original 1969 bike. Just looking for patterns here, anything where I can connect some proverbial dots.
Old 08-24-19, 08:32 AM
Amocat223

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Good stuff, Amocat. In re-reading, I see that I got mixed up a little bit in terms of "before" and "after". Oops! Anyway, it's kind of cool to see an old Mercier modified to suit someone's different vision for its functionality. Since I only have two bikes, which are very different, it makes me imagine what else (some type of hybrid) might be possible for me in the future.
The bike recently went to another proud owner .. i could not justify keeping the bike since it was too big for me to ride but i did keep the gold Mafac brake caliper/levers if you're ever looking for set in the near future , offering before i use them on another future build !
Old 08-24-19, 08:39 AM
Amocat223

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Came across this online recently, for sale in Halifax/Bedford. I couldn't help but notice 1) the lack of chrome on the forks and stays; and 2) the half hoods (is that the correct term?) and abbreviated bar tape.

With regard to 1, it reminds me to bring up the fact that I'm not familiar with any Mercier import history with regard to Canada. Anyone know anything about that? It seems that a fairly high percentage of examples I've come across in Canada don't have any chrome on the forks and stays, or at least conform more in general with european market bikes (and this one also has the "Special Tour de France" decal on the top tube, another euro market feature). So it's unclear to me whether there was an established import program in Canada back in the day, or whether I'm just seeing euro bikes that ended up in Canada.

With regard to 2, the combination of half hoods and less than full bar tape seems relatively uncommon (and on bikes like this that appear to be unmolested, it appears to be factory original in this regard). These two details also happen to have been the spec on my original 1969 bike. Just looking for patterns here, anything where I can connect some proverbial dots.
Living in the region i do come accross some Mercier bikes every now and then .. there is one in Quebec as of now with half front chrome forks and i also see some in Ontario , this is all thru Kijiji classified ads !
Old 08-24-19, 12:14 PM
bfuser191509248

Originally Posted by Amocat223
Living in the region i do come accross some Mercier bikes every now and then .. there is one in Quebec as of now with half front chrome forks and i also see some in Ontario , this is all thru Kijiji classified ads !
Kijiji is where I saw the bike above. I saved and bookmarked a Mercier search on Kijiji awhile back, along with All of Craigslist and a few other web searches. Still hoping to find a nice vintage model 300, in some reddish color similar to my original 1969 bike. This one is close:

Sent you a PM, by the way.
Old 09-09-19, 10:31 AM
rmfrance
rmfrance

Bikes: 1968 Peugeot PX10, 1974 Peugeot PX10, 1964 Peugeot PX10, 1977 Peugeot PSN10, 1975 Gitane Super Olympic, 1978 Gitane Vuelta, c1958 Gitane Competition(?), 1983 Mercier?, 1981 Peugeot PF10, 1985 Peugeot PH501 Ventoux, 1965 Moulton M4 Speed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
In reply to JIMR56:

The first bike (pale blue) is a beauty - do I see a Stronglight 93 crankset?
Nice to see rear stays chromed, too.
Those cottered units like in the 2nd pic, really are heavy - some significant weight saving to be made there, if you can find a period alloy replacement.
Great to know that Merciers made it across the Atlantic, and are still ridden - even here in France it's not too easy finding much information. :0)
Old 02-13-20, 03:13 AM
Manu431

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
very nice information about Mercier bike !
Thanks a lot for that.

As I am currently working on a Mercier bike (1977 ?) I recently purchased , I am of course really interested.
Let me know if you want me to post a picture of my orange Mercier on your picture collection, (you have already seen my post on the french bikes)
I just can confirm that here in france Mercier bikes have a good reputation among vintage bike owners, just because of the "great" Raymond Poulidor.
Of course there is high end models which are pretty close to the famous peugeot PY10 , but also many of these more popular bikes like yours (or mine)
Raymond poulidor died recently, but really it was among the most well known and appreciated personality of all time in France. Some kind of popular "Hero". (so as all the famous french tour de france bikers).
I don't know exactly what it means exactly for the people in the USA, but here the "Tour de France" is THE most popular event.
Before olympic games, Soccer world cup, ...
We all have learned to know our country looking a the tour de france on the television as kids.

I put you a link. (various brand catalog, logos etc...)
Maybe it is the same catalog you already put for 1983 from the german site (very interesting thread , I speak german myself)
I found it myself referenced as a 1981 catalog, but i really don't know what is the right year
https://labibleduvelocataloguesmerci...cier-198x.html
Likes For Manu431:
Old 02-13-20, 08:40 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Well this looks like a good place to park my Mercier. I've had this a a month or so.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 02-13-20, 09:07 AM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 101 Posts
This is my '71 300. Purchased new by my older sister. I finally convinced her to sell it to me in the mid '70's, and unfortunately the bike had been stored on an apartment balcony. So the chrome on the socks suffered a bit. The bike is a little small for me as can be seen by the stem and seatpost placement.

This one came with AVA sprint competition tubular rims.

Likes For satbuilder:
Old 02-13-20, 04:50 PM
bfuser191509248

Originally Posted by satbuilder
This is my '71 300. Purchased new by my older sister. I finally convinced her to sell it to me in the mid '70's, and unfortunately the bike had been stored on an apartment balcony. So the chrome on the socks suffered a bit. The bike is a little small for me as can be seen by the stem and seatpost placement.

This one came with AVA sprint competition tubular rims.

I could swear I saw that photo before, and remember you saying you got it from your sister, but I can't locate the post. Anyway, can I ask how you went about dating the bike? Just by the year she bought it, or was there any other indicator? Just like to learn as much as I can about these details. Thanks.
Old 02-13-20, 05:34 PM
satbuilder 

My first road bike was a Jacques Anquetil. I purchased it in late summer of 1971. It was a heavy gas pipe bike with a red label Simplex derailleur that found its way into the spokes. Replaced it with a Valentino which wasn’t much better, but by that time my skill set had improved to the point where I could make all the necessary adjustments.

My sister saw the Mercier up on an elevated platform in the same shop about a week later and paid the $225 they were asking for it. It had the red/silver/blue Zefal pump on it as well but it didn’t last very long. It was a beautiful bike.

When I disassembled the bike to restore it, the derailleur cage had a date code of 2 71, confirming it as a ‘71. The frame could have of course been built earlier.

Later on that same shop started bringing in some higher end Italian bikes, and another shop opened up down the road in College Station, just across from the A&M main campus. There was a ‘72 Bianchi in there with full Campagnolo Record components and I knew there was no way the paper route I had at the time would pay for that. I had the bike bug really bad.
Likes For satbuilder:
Old 02-13-20, 05:41 PM
bfuser191509248

Originally Posted by Manu431
very nice information about Mercier bike !
Thanks a lot for that.

As I am currently working on a Mercier bike (1977 ?) I recently purchased , I am of course really interested.
Let me know if you want me to post a picture of my orange Mercier on your picture collection, (you have already seen my post on the french bikes)
I just can confirm that here in france Mercier bikes have a good reputation among vintage bike owners, just because of the "great" Raymond Poulidor.
Of course there is high end models which are pretty close to the famous peugeot PY10 , but also many of these more popular bikes like yours (or mine)
Raymond poulidor died recently, but really it was among the most well known and appreciated personality of all time in France. Some kind of popular "Hero". (so as all the famous french tour de france bikers).
I don't know exactly what it means exactly for the people in the USA, but here the "Tour de France" is THE most popular event.
Before olympic games, Soccer world cup, ...
We all have learned to know our country looking a the tour de france on the television as kids.

I put you a link. (various brand catalog, logos etc...)
Maybe it is the same catalog you already put for 1983 from the german site (very interesting thread , I speak german myself)
I found it myself referenced as a 1981 catalog, but i really don't know what is the right year
https://labibleduvelocataloguesmerci...cier-198x.html
Thank you Manu. To be honest, my primary interest in Mercier bikes concerns the models of the later 1960's and earlier 1970's, particularly those that were imported into the U.S. during those years. But any info such as your catalog link is more than welcome here, and hopefully will be helpful to those who are curious about their particular Mercier bikes.

I am a big sports fan, going back to my childhood in the 1960's. I played soccer in high school from 1970-74, and played recreationally for many years after that (until my joints got to fragile!). I started watching the World Cups in 1974, when they were only available in spanish language broadcasts in the U.S. I was never very aware of the Tour de France until the broadcasts became very easy to find on television here. Since discovering it, I have watched it every year. I feel like I've learned a lot about your country by watching it also, in fact that's the primary reason that I enjoy watching it... the aerial scenery, the historic sites, the people and the cities towns and villages. It's beautiful, no matter who is racing or who is winning.
Old 02-13-20, 05:55 PM
bfuser191509248

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Well this looks like a good place to park my Mercier. I've had this a a month or so.
Very nice, thanks for posting. If you get a chance, please comment on the details you know about it. I saw your photos last night after a "Mercier" forum search, but now I can't locate the thread it was in. It looks to be a U.S.-market bike, in that early 70's time frame.
Old 02-13-20, 07:30 PM
satbuilder 

I could swear I saw that photo before, and remember you saying you got it from your sister, but I can't locate the post. Anyway, can I ask how you went about dating the bike? Just by the year she bought it, or was there any other indicator? Just like to learn as much as I can about these details. Thanks.
Here’s the original thread on my 300:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...d-mercier.html
Likes For satbuilder:
Old 02-14-20, 01:33 AM
Manu431

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
Thank you Manu. To be honest, my primary interest in Mercier bikes concerns the models of the later 1960's and earlier 1970's, particularly those that were imported into the U.S. during those years. But any info such as your catalog link is more than welcome here, and hopefully will be helpful to those who are curious about their particular Mercier bikes.

I am a big sports fan, going back to my childhood in the 1960's. I played soccer in high school from 1970-74, and played recreationally for many years after that (until my joints got to fragile!). I started watching the World Cups in 1974, when they were only available in spanish language broadcasts in the U.S. I was never very aware of the Tour de France until the broadcasts became very easy to find on television here. Since discovering it, I have watched it every year. I feel like I've learned a lot about your country by watching it also, in fact that's the primary reason that I enjoy watching it... the aerial scenery, the historic sites, the people and the cities towns and villages. It's beautiful, no matter who is racing or who is winning.
It is indeed that makes the tour de france unique. (but it applies probably to the giro and the vuelta.)
You are not looking just at a race (frankly, you are waiting many hours and they pass by so quick that you not really see what happen !
But the feeling is fantastic with the people having a good time together. And it was even more relaxed in the past.
And as you said, just looking at the race on the TV, you discover many beautiful places.
And even more impressive is the speed of the guys on their bikes. It is purely insane.

Well , back to topic.
As we discussed together, i put you here some pictures of the mercier I purchased recently for my wife (and/or son).
It looks to be from 1977 (hub, mafac brakes, ..), and it may be a SALEVE model.
but i m not sure at all.
I am working currently on it, and there is more work I initially thought. but it will turn nice I think. No a high end bike, but I like the color !
I already put it on the "french bike" thread, but i hope it will complete your mercier picture collection here.

Likes For Manu431:
Old 02-14-20, 05:51 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 104 Posts
I don't particularly like French bikes but I came across one and I bought it for the parts. I could not bear to throw the frame in the trash even though it has a poor repair. It is a Mercier Formule 1 from ~1980. The more I looked at it the more it grew on me. It has all oval tubing along with an oval seat post, aero levers, etc, etc. One day I may get around to restore but for now it is hanging in the basement. (The photo is not mine but the shape and color are correct)
Likes For daviddavieboy:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.