Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bad attitude in South Florida

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bad attitude in South Florida

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-20, 09:38 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Isn’t the abbreviation for Florida, FL.
Tim
OP is using FTL to abbreviate Fort Lauderdale, which I think is also the airport designation letters.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 04-25-20, 09:57 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Sorry that you are having a bad time in Florida. Fort Lauderdale does not represent the entire state. You just happened to move to an area where people don't know how to vote so I'm not surprised that they don't know how to lift a toilet seat.
I am NOT a Floridian, but I've been to that southeast part of Florida a zillion times, including this past February, and I agree with John. Yyou can't generalize about an entire state based on 1 geographical area. The whole "Gold Coast" stretch, from West Palm Beach down to Miami,has become so crowded, particularly in winter, that driving is a disaster and serious frustration, and IMHO a dangerous place to cycle.

I'd only bike on designated paths, if in that region.
Best regards
Old 04-25-20, 10:05 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
OP is using FTL to abbreviate Fort Lauderdale, which I think is also the airport designation letters.
Nope, airport designator for the Ft Lauderdale airport is FLL.
Tim
Old 04-25-20, 12:42 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Tim
I'll keep that in mind if I ever need to land my bike there.

There is a lot of good riding around Florida, on and off-road, and in my limited experience, the real waste-exits are concentrated in the cities. I have been coal-rolled by the the "good ol' boys in a pickup," but I have been passed by tons of those same good ol' boys (gun racks, stars and bars, three foot lift kits) and never had a real problem except the couple idiots who coal-rolled .... and that was almost amusing. (If they had brains they'd have hit my on a hill ... but if they had brains ....)

As with any area, if you re planning a riding vacation, contact local cycling clubs and get the good routes.
Old 04-26-20, 10:53 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Lots of low IQ people in many areas, nothing to be done. When you do run over glass, stop and brush it off. Sometimes I use my foot on the tire to scrape it off while I ride but that is probably dangerous and harder for the rear tire. I also try and kick some junk or glass into the gutter every trip and if you do it every day a little here and there really adds up. Glass is annoying but the big problem here is chunks of metal, bolts, even railroad spikes. No idea wtf all this junk comes from, though I do sometimes stock and find a wrench or some electrical tape so I guess it's not all bad.
Old 04-27-20, 04:38 AM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Florida definitely has it's fair share of Type A folk but you know what?...a great portion of those came here from other states "TO PARTY"

Ft. Lauderdale is part of the "Party Central" towns and a real disaster during Spring Break.

There are beautiful places to cycle in FL but they aren't in the highly over-populated national party destinations.
Old 04-27-20, 06:01 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Tim
Thanks for the clarification. Never flown into their airport but have driven down there many times.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 04-27-20, 08:42 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
No idea wtf all this junk comes from....
Almost, exclusively, cars and trucks....
(yeah, I know, rhetorical question )

A thread keeps running through my mind when I see things on the road, "Bet this didn't come from a bike!"
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 04-27-20, 01:29 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
Back in 1996 I was working at Tyndall Air Force Base & living in Panama City Beach. One morning I was riding my small motorcycle on the beachfront road. I stopped at an intersection with a crosswalk to allow a group of four children to cross the road. An angry motorist in a pickup truck behind me began blowing his horn at me. Then, while I was waiting for the kids to cross the road, he drove his vehicle up onto the sidewalk and with dirt & gravel flying everywhere roared past me & the children. The terrified kids went running away as fast as possible. I was absolutely stunned. Never seen anything like it. Ever. Wow. For real. That actually happened.

I'm retired and have lived in Florida full time now for several years. Continental Gatorskins, Schwalbe Marathons, Michelin Protek & other tough tires are all that anyone uses around here. Life is good. People are good. But, there are some seriously redneck idiots running around here that absolutely defy imagination.

You're all welcome to come down to Amelia Island. We've got bike lanes everywhere & it's a fun place to visit for casual & experienced riders. Be good. Have fun.
I know this thread is abt FL, but this incident reminded me so much of my short time in AZ. I was in college (back in the '70s) at ASU and was out driving my motorcycle (that's the 2-wheel connection here on Hiway 10 (goes East-West). Traffic was a bit heavy and moving in a slow-and-go pattern so I was keeping a bit of distance from the car in front of me. I'm in the inside/fast lane and the median had guard rails, but was dirt and gravel.

So, I'm moving along with the traffic flow and, apparently, some yokel behind me in a pickup truck thought I was going too slow and leaving way too much space between myself and the car in front of me. All of a sudden this idiot accelerates and passes me on my LEFT (did I mention I was in the inside lane and the median was nothing but dirt and gravel?). He kicked up a bunch of crap along the way and barely got past me before he swerved back into my lane.

Good news is I anticipated his dumb move (had seen him playing with the idea for a bit), had given him plenty of room and was already slowing down just in case he did the stupid thing I thought he might do. I noticed once he got in front of me he was looking in his rear view mirror and I got the sense he was not a motorcycle lover. I was getting off in the next 2 exits and started moving over to get away from him.

There are idiots looking to cause problems everywhere.

Last edited by stephr1; 04-27-20 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-27-20, 01:38 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 331 Posts
Video cams on bikes and every car is going to solve this. Many years back in rural MI, a passing car threw a bottle at me. I called the police with the car description and plates, I think I only had a partial on the plate, and they determined the car in a few minutes. Kids, they weren't charged but given a serious talking to at their parents house, it make a big impression (which the cops told me, they had the courtesy to call me back later that day to report on the status of things.)

Last edited by Duragrouch; 05-03-20 at 10:50 PM.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 04-27-20, 04:13 PM
J Palmer Cass

Bikes: ICE Adventure, TSDZ2

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
The social contract in Florida, and in much of the South, is that as long as the working class doesn't demand political and economic power the elites tolerate all sorts of low rent rowdy redneck behavior such as fireworks, noisy motorcycles, public drunkenness, tearing up the countryside in ATVs, reckless gun use and just about any other "hold my beer" behavior you can imagine.
Likes For J Palmer Cass:
Old 04-27-20, 05:13 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Arizona is just as bad, and maybe worse with roadside glass and other flat-causing 'stickers'... Since AZ gets so little rain and hydroplaning is not an issue, people tend to drive on tires until the steel belts are showing - where do you think those steel-belt wires end up? on the shoulder. Glass bottles? The roadside literally glitters from the broken glass. With no rain to wash the road clear, there is LOTS of flat-causing debris on the road/shoulder.

Then there are the cactus spines, and Goat-heads... But we'll leave that for a whole 'nuther discussion!
That's an exaggeration. Never flatted from belt wires or glass... And that's on "delicate" GP5Ks. Every once-in-a-while I'll get a thorn in my tire, but it's rare.

I had a rash of bad luck a few weeks ago, but leading-up to that I hadn't had any flats in ages.
​​​​​
​​​
Likes For Ross520:
Old 04-27-20, 05:36 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
It's interesting how flats work. For a while I was having them every couple weeks now I haven't had one in over a year.
Old 04-27-20, 06:52 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
That's an exaggeration. Never flatted from belt wires or glass... And that's on "delicate" GP5Ks. Every once-in-a-while I'll get a thorn in my tire, but it's rare.

I had a rash of bad luck a few weeks ago, but leading-up to that I hadn't had any flats in ages.
​​​​​
​​​
Over the years, I've had flats from both SBR wires and glass - but not in AZ. Only rode less than 500 miles there, and that was on new flat-protection-type tires. 60k+ miles elsewhere, and flatted plenty on both tire wires and glass slivers before 'armored' tires or flat-protective liners were a thing.

How about the rest of y'all? Am I exaggerating?
Old 04-27-20, 06:59 PM
Ross520

Over the years, I've had flats from both SBR wires and glass - but not in AZ. Only rode less than 500 miles there, and that was on new flat-protection-type tires. 60k+ miles elsewhere, and flatted plenty on both tire wires and glass slivers before 'armored' tires or flat-protective liners were a thing.

How about the rest of y'all? Am I exaggerating?
So, by your own admission, you have NOT had any wire or glass flats in Arizona (as well as only riding 500 miles here).

Then why are you saying Arizona is worse than Florida for road debris?
Old 04-27-20, 07:38 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
So, by your own admission, you have NOT had any wire or glass flats in Arizona (as well as only riding 500 miles here).

Then why are you saying Arizona is worse than Florida for road debris?
Because I can SEE the glass glittering all along the roadside. I can SEE the wires glinting in the sun. As I result, I rode IN the traffic lane to avoid the glittering stickers on the shoulders. No rain to wash it away (annual rainfall in Phoenix is maybe 2"/year), so it stays there on the side/shoulder of the road. The tires I was using in AZ DID have a flat-deflecting barrier, AND I only rode ~500 miles and ON the road traffic lane, not the glittering shoulder outside the white fog line!

No I haven't ridden tens of thousands of miles in AZ like I have here in OH and surrounding states. BUT the numbers of flats from wires and glass that I've gotten here is waaaaay north of 75 punctures in 55+ years/100k+ miles of cycling... So let's say a a flat every 1,000 miles, on average. Much of that was on tires without a flat-defeating 'belt' or liner.

My weirdest/strangest flat was from roadkill. I wasn't watching where I was going, and ran over an older roadkill - a tooth or other bone fragment punctured the sidewall of my tire as I thumped over it.
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 04-27-20, 08:21 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Baldy1953
The further south you go in Florida , the worse it gets. It might have something to do with all the tourists that do not where they are going. This applies to the I-4 corridor ( daytona to tampa) Also it has a lot to do that the immigrant population has turned South Florida ( Miami area) into a foreign country. There are parts of Miami you never hear English spoken for the most part. A world away from North Florida. it has gotten progressively worse as the years have gone by.

A lot of transplanted northern people live in south Fl. They moved to get away from an oppressive tax structure and one particular parties manner of running their states. Now, they vote for the same type of people in Fl and are trying to bring the north to the sout.

People talk about how backwards Floridians are because our lifestyle is much more laid back than other parts of the country. We make fun of you also. Every region has its own quirks.
It sounds like you fit my stereotypical view of a Floridian.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 04-28-20, 01:32 AM
Ross520

Because I can SEE the glass glittering all along the roadside. I can SEE the wires glinting in the sun. As I result, I rode IN the traffic lane to avoid the glittering stickers on the shoulders. No rain to wash it away (annual rainfall in Phoenix is maybe 2"/year), so it stays there on the side/shoulder of the road. The tires I was using in AZ DID have a flat-deflecting barrier, AND I only rode ~500 miles and ON the road traffic lane, not the glittering shoulder outside the white fog line!

No I haven't ridden tens of thousands of miles in AZ like I have here in OH and surrounding states. BUT the numbers of flats from wires and glass that I've gotten here is waaaaay north of 75 punctures in 55+ years/100k+ miles of cycling... So let's say a a flat every 1,000 miles, on average. Much of that was on tires without a flat-defeating 'belt' or liner.

My weirdest/strangest flat was from roadkill. I wasn't watching where I was going, and ran over an older roadkill - a tooth or other bone fragment punctured the sidewall of my tire as I thumped over it.
​​​​​​I'm still confused as to why you're making the assertion that Arizona has worse roads for cycling than Florida. 500 miles is a drop in the proverbial bucket of Arizona roads. That's ~ 5-10 rides, and now you're an expert on our traffic infrastructure?

I have NEVER flatted from glass, on a tire notorious for its susceptibility to cuts from, amongst other things.... GLASS.

But by all means, continue your attempt to convince a native Arizonan that you, in your limited experience in AZ, are qualified enough to be making comparisons to another state that you likely haven't spent much time in either.

I'm done responding...

Goodnight.

-Ross

Old 04-28-20, 06:12 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 411 Posts
Beer bottles are the least things you have to worry about when riding around South Florida. Having worked more than 10 years in law enforcement there (which aged me 20 years), I've seen a few things. The most useful cycling accessory I had was a Kahr K9 semi-automatic pistol.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 04-28-20, 06:34 AM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
@Nachoman I am sure some stereotypical opinions are incorrect. I see where you are located and your opinion reflects that. I guess Ca. is the perfect place to live. After all you have a mass exodus with the idiotic Governor and the rest of your politicians. You have the kooky Hollywood liberals. You have the Ca. EPA that creates outlandish laws . I could go on and on, but I am going to consider the source and realize views are of an individual that lives in Ca. Enough said on my part.

Sorry folks for the off topic response.
Old 04-28-20, 07:40 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
... Annnddd the FOX channel church chimes in again....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 04-28-20, 08:41 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

As a person with a lot of years in Florida .... immigration is Not the problem. All the problems I have ever had on Florida roads were with white people, and not even rednecks .... (except coal-rollers ... ) except one gentleman who might have been Latino (or maybe was just very tanned) in a large older convertible who pulled into oncoming traffic to pass me coming up to a 4-way stop sign, then cut in front of me and across two traffic lanes to take a Y-intersection on the far right .... I had pulled into the left half of the left lane to give him room to pass in case he wanted to take the right-hand option, but he insisted on passing on the left. I heard him coming so I slowed so as not to hit him when he cut back across two lanes to make his turn.

He looked to be 40s-50s so probably not a snowbird, either.

Also, I believe more tourists go to Greater Orlando (all the theme parks) than go to Miami. From Orlando they probably do day trips to the beaches on either side (the Gulf and the Atlantic are about 60-90 miles from O-town .... about three days' drive because the drivers are too stupid to merge.)

But blaming immigrants .... definitely a low-class move, there. People don't have to speak your language to be human, you know? And people who speak English can drive badly ... I know because every single person who has Ever yelled crap at me from a passing car, yelled in English.

Back when I arrived in Florida, riding on a dinosaur as we did back in the day, the issue was that poor and uneducated people from all over the Southeast saw Florida as the land of opportunity because it was a Right to Work state and because of crappy zoning and mostly negligible environmental protect and building code laws, was a hot spot for unskilled labor and construction jobs .... Anybody who could wake up to an alarm cock could find a job, often outdoors, in inhuman heat, and often involving hard labor, but a steady paycheck.

I worked with one guy who took great pride and pleasure in throwing beer bottles and cans out of his window while driving .... that "F the man!" of the truly tiny-brained. I worked with people who took pride in doing environmentally destructive things (pouring gasoline on the grass, for instance) to piss off the "tree-huggers." The fact that that gasoline would be headed into the drinking water .... was not an issue.

The whole idea of being responsible for waste was a joke, and pollution? Pollution was a left-wing hoax. it went from the level of personal action to job sites to planning boards, which gleefully authorized filling in wetlands and planning communities on the buried swamps, or planning whole communities in flood plains because the land was cheaper there .... for some reason, no one wanted to build. And everything from sewage to washing machine effluent went into the nearest river or pond, because only those stupid environmentalists cared about that stuff.

Florida was a mecca for people who wanted to deny anything learned after 1950, and anyone who wanted to do business the way it used to be done ... before people caught on that crapping in your own kitchen was stupid. And surprisingly, a lot of those people knew as much about birth control as they did about environmental protection.

Blaming immigrants might work if one includes people who emigrated from other states. Otherwise, that is just racist. Blaming tourists might work in certain settings ... but most tourists aren't cruising local roads through neighborhoods, or rural roads, because they tend to stay in hotels and at theme parks and beaches, and take main routes to get there.

As for Florida natives ... I have known a lot. A lot of them were really good people (and cyclists, so that's no surprise.) Some of them were unbelievably racist (one guy told me that in his Panhandle home town, when a black man (not the term he used) saw a white person approaching down the sidewalk, the black man stepped off the sidewalk "the way it's supposed to be.'") Many of them seemed to truly believe that whatever little they recalled of what they had learned in high school, was all there was to know, and everything discovered, devised, understood or invented since then was left-wing BS. from those East Coast elites---you know, those dirty book-readers.

Basically, i have lived with, worked with, partied with, and/or dated just about every sort of person of every race, creed and color, from all over the world ... and there are winners and losers of Every sort. No class, race, nation, faith, or place has a monopoly.

People who blame all their problems on "furriners" tend to be people who have never acknowledged, let alone ever tried to fix, their own personal problems.

i have also lived in parts of Florida with almost no tourism ... and people there were almost as likely to behave badly .... just so many fewer people that encounters were fewer, and general stress levels were lower. but I still found people who seemed to genuinely believe that only cars belonged on roads, and by the way some drove---only their cars.

Anyway .... if I lived in Orlando, and probably if I lived in Fort Lauderdale ... I would need to drive to a good place to ride. Sad, but that is city life (and urban sprawl life.)

Last edited by Maelochs; 04-28-20 at 08:46 AM.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-28-20, 12:25 PM
wafranklin

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I really like your idea of stopping and kicking some of the debris to the side.
Thanks!
Old 04-28-20, 01:58 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Beer bottles are the least things you have to worry about when riding around South Florida. Having worked more than 10 years in law enforcement there (which aged me 20 years), I've seen a few things. The most useful cycling accessory I had was a Kahr K9 semi-automatic pistol.
this post made my day lol.....I spent 20 years in Law Enforcement in Florida and your absolutely right, also a phone to call it in
Likes For 257 roberts:
Old 04-28-20, 04:41 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by 257 roberts
this post made my day lol.....I spent 20 years in Law Enforcement in Florida and your absolutely right, also a phone to call it in
one would think something chambered in 257 Roberts slung across the back (legal if it is unloaded) would be the best accessory for cyclists who wished to remain unmolested by the immature, rude, and annoying ... but i didn't want to get the thread closed by suggesting it. Now I think enough folks have jumped in ...

(p.s.: Shout out to quality LEOs everywhere. Sad that we need you, glad that we have you.)
Likes For Maelochs:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.