Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rim strip - how wide?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rim strip - how wide?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-20, 11:31 AM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
Rim strip - how wide?

I'm building up a new set of DT Swiss gravel wheels that have a 24mm inner width. They also have this rather deep channel in the middle of the cross section. Should rim strip cover the entire inner rim width, or just the channel with the spoke holes?

Last edited by keithdunlop; 11-12-20 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Adding image
Old 11-12-20, 01:05 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Buy some tubeless rim tape and run it essentially edge to edge.
Likes For gsa103:
Old 11-12-20, 03:14 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
Buy some tubeless rim tape and run it essentially edge to edge.
That is the best way and I use Stan's no tubes tape. Very good and double layer it works great.
Old 11-12-20, 04:16 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Contrary opinion: get the rim tape that's wide enough to cover the well the spoke holes are in, but no wider.

You want to make sure the spoke holes are covered. But it's a whole lot easier to install tires, and remove them to fix a flat, if you can drop the tire bead down into that center well.
Old 11-12-20, 06:26 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Contrary opinion: get the rim tape that's wide enough to cover the well the spoke holes are in, but no wider.
Assuming the OP is going tubeless.....on many rims, if you you don't run the tape to the edge, you may have a hard time getting the bead to seat with a floor pump and will need to use compressed air. Not a problem at home if you have one, but sucks if you need to re-seat elsewhere. Ask me how I know this

Not an issue if the OP is not running tubeless, of course.

Originally Posted by pdlamb
You want to make sure the spoke holes are covered. But it's a whole lot easier to install tires, and remove them to fix a flat, if you can drop the tire bead down into that center well.
Not sure I am following, here. If you cover the holes, you are putting the tape on the bottom of the well. What is the alternate recommendation?
Old 11-13-20, 08:20 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Not sure I am following, here. If you cover the holes, you are putting the tape on the bottom of the well. What is the alternate recommendation?
The previous two posts recommended taping "edge to edge." If the wheel is going to be used with tubes, the thickness of the tape may interfere with sliding the bead down to remove and replace the tire.

I'd think that would hold true as well for initial tire installation on a tubeless setup, but perhaps you wouldn't have to fix most flats that way.
Old 11-13-20, 04:58 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Assuming the OP is going tubeless.....on many rims, if you you don't run the tape to the edge, you may have a hard time getting the bead to seat with a floor pump and will need to use compressed air. Not a problem at home if you have one, but sucks if you need to re-seat elsewhere. Ask me how I know this

Not an issue if the OP is not running tubeless, of course.

I should have said this in the post - I do not plan to run tubeless initially. My initial thought was to get some 10mm wide Velox and run it in the channel.

Last edited by keithdunlop; 11-13-20 at 05:05 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-13-20, 05:53 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by keithdunlop
I should have said this in the post - I do not plan to run tubeless initially. My initial thought was to get some 10mm wide Velox and run it in the channel.
Just set it up with tubeless tape. It'll be less hassle in the long run. Velox cloth tape is actually thicker than most tubeless tape. The thicker tape will make it more difficult to install. The channel is actually where you need the most clearance, because that's what let's the tire shift to get it on.
You have tubeless ready rims, cloth tape is going to make mounting tires worse not better.