Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano disc lacing recommendation.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-20, 09:41 AM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts

I discovered the Shimano recommended way of lacing disc wheels after I built the rear (the front is correct) and have realized that the rotor side is wrong. The "Shimano" way has the outer spokes laced to be tensioned (pulled) under braking. I laced it as a symmetrical wheel. Should I take this apart and re-lace it, or will this be OK? This is a commuter and sometimes gravel bike, not a downhill MTB bomber.
Old 11-16-20, 09:49 AM
lubloi

Bikes: Koga Miyata GranTourer 1985, Koga Miyata Adventure 1992, Cinelli Sentiero, Giant Terrago 1993, Presto Amsterdam 1975(?), Dahon Classic III Stainless

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Shimano recommends asymmetrical lacing? So that under heavy braking, the rim moves axially, towards the disc, relative to the hub? There must be a good reason, but I would like to know what it is. Either way, I can't image that it would make a big difference, so I would leave the wheeel as it is.
Old 11-16-20, 11:03 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
I always lace mine the same way on both sides and never had a problem.
Old 11-16-20, 01:02 PM
ft3safety

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
When the outer spokes are under tension while braking they get pulled tighter. If they were loosened, they may bend slightly outward interfering with the disc brake caliper. A friend did exactly as you did and when he heavily brakes, his spokes hit the disc brake caliper and you can hear a tick tick tick as the spokes hit. If yours don't and you have enough clearance, then you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 11-16-20, 03:55 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

I discovered a discussion about "Shimano" asymmetrical lacing on another forum and the consensus seemed to be, if the wheels are built well, it doesn't really matter.

I will check the caliper to spoke distance though.
Old 11-16-20, 03:58 PM
keithdunlop

Old 11-16-20, 04:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
I don't know about disk hub lacing directions (other then what I've read, making me an expert) but if the imaged hub is a rear then some will say the drive side spokes are laced in the wrong direction. Andy (who rides a tandem and does know about this)
Old 11-16-20, 06:23 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by keithdunlop
I discovered a discussion about "Shimano" asymmetrical lacing on another forum and the consensus seemed to be, if the wheels are built well, it doesn't really matter.....
Firstly, thanks for starting this thread. I've built a lot of trouble-free wheels with Shimano hubs, and admittedly, I did not know about Shimano's instructions on this until reading this thread....secondly, thanks for your above quote because it reinforces the fact that I build good wheels.
Old 11-16-20, 08:28 PM
keithdunlop

Here's what another wheel builder told me today:
​​​​​​
"I would not rebuild the wheel because it's highly unlikely that the rider would ever feel any difference in performance. (Although if the rider complained about it and had paid me for the wheel and it was my mistake, I probably would relace it.) As you noticed there are all kinds of spoke lacing patterns on wheels out in the field and the most important things are that they are true, round and properly tensioned, not the lacing pattern. Doing it the Shimano way has become an industry standard for many pro wheel builders since Shimano is a components leader that does their homework. So it optimizes the lacing to support disc wheels. But, plenty of disc wheels laced other ways are out there and doing fine ;-) I hope this helps!"

I think I'm done worrying about it.