Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Threaded vs. threadless steerer on a new build.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-20, 08:23 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts

I'm starting the planning for a new steel road build and I have a choice between a frame with a traditional threaded steerer vs. a more modern threadless. I already have a vintage build that's reserved for Eroica and the intention for the new bike is an alternative to my main carbon road bike for endurance rides and centuries. The groupset is going to be a modern Campy 11 or 12 speed.

I'm leaning towards threadless headset and cockpit setup but I thought I gather opinions.
Old 12-29-20, 08:39 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by keithdunlop
I'm starting the planning for a new steel road build and I have a choice between a frame with a traditional threaded steerer vs. a more modern threadless. I already have a vintage build that's reserved for Eroica and the intention for the new bike is an alternative to my main carbon road bike for endurance rides and centuries. The groupset is going to be a modern Campy 11 or 12 speed.

I'm leaning towards threadless headset and cockpit setup but I thought I gather opinions.
If you go 1" steerer you have the option of changing your mind. I had my steel forked ti bike built with 1" threadless, I haven't changed it but have been tempted. A Nitto Pearl would look very nice and I love the simplicity if simply unscrewing one bolt, a tap, then any stem height I want and tighten, no torque wrench needed. (No messing with headset adjust either.) Easy to do mid ride.

The change is low on my list but easy. I do have to calculate the stack I want (or have the builder do it), then it is just - hand him the fork, have him cut and thread it and install with a new headset. If I had a good looking Pearl and Stronglight HS in hand, I'd d it tomorrow.
Old 12-29-20, 08:54 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,690 Times in 2,513 Posts
I can never decide until I build the fork. There is something to be said for the ease of adjusting bar height afforded by a threaded steerer. And it's definitely more classic. If it's going to be more of an everyday bike, I think I like threadless better. I'm not sure there is a lot more to it than that.
Old 12-30-20, 12:01 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
I like threadless. Details/context would help me (at least): Fork material--steel or carbon? Fork rake style--straight blades or curved? Steerer diameter--1" or 1 1/8"? Depending on the choices for those, that can tip things toward either a more classic look (with sweet modern Campy) or more modern 'hotrod steel' look. Do you have a color or color scheme in mind?
Old 12-30-20, 01:42 AM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
With a very modern drive train, I'd lean towards threadless
Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 12-30-20, 02:15 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I have had a couple of threaded forks fail by cracking through the thread. So far, no failures of threadless forks. And since by now I know fairly well how I like the fit to be I’d be inclined to go for threadless unless there was a particular look I really wanted to achieve.
One reason that might sway me to go threaded is how high the bike is up front. I have a steel Bianchi that would need a ridiculous stack of spacers to get the bar about where I want it if set up threadless. Threaded, no big deal.
Old 12-30-20, 06:28 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 408 Posts
Above comments are all valid, especially RiddleOfSteel. My 2¢ is I have several of both and gone back and forth with some, my only hard and fast rule is not on a fine old Italian with Cinelli, Modolo, 3TTT, etc. Now in my 70s my bars are rising and the Italians are not getting ridden.
Old 12-30-20, 06:36 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked 6,674 Times in 2,607 Posts
1 1/8” threadless will give you a ton of stem, fork, headset options. Plus you can customize with funky top caps!

Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-30-20, 06:36 AM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 272 Posts
What bars you want to use? That’ll lead to stem clamp diameter, and threaded/threadless will shake out of that. I’d choose 1 1/8” threadless, but that’s me. Especially given Campy 11/12.

Last edited by Sir_Name; 12-30-20 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-30-20, 10:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
New build? For sure threadless. There is just no downside.

Threadless is easy to set up, easy to service headsets, easy to adjust height(you literally just move a spacer from above to below or vice versa), and gives you a stiffer cockpit.
I guess some could argue that they want a looser cockpit where the bars are bending back and forth when climbing, but I am not sure that 'feature' is a widely held opinion. Threadless also opens up tons of stem lengths, stem angles, and countless handlebar shapes.

I continue to not understand why anyone changes their stem height with any sort of frequency. This is a common reason to embrace threaded steerers and quill stems, but I just dont understand why I would change my stem height after its set up with comfort. People give reasons though, so clearly there are valid reasons in some people's eyes.
With threadless, just keep 10mm or even 15mm of spacers above the stem. If you really need to change your stem height, then move the spacers and you are done. If you want more adjustment, then get a different stem angle.
This all assumes the bike you are having built is built for you- so there just isnt a need to adjust the stem height more than a little bit up or down since the bike fits you to start with.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-31-20, 12:02 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Innicycle.
Threaded fork
Threadless stem

That will be $3.50