Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Source for new threaded fork?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-21, 07:21 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts

I'm probably missing something obvious, but can anyone point me to a source for new, good quality, nice looking 1" threaded forks?

What I've seen so far are cheap (and to me, ugly) unicrown steel forks and I see that Wound Up makes what looks to be a very nice carbonfiber-legged threaded fork. That's my leading candidate so far and the only new, high quality, nice looking production, threaded fork I've found so far, and it can give you options for steer tube length as well as rake. I'd prefer a source for stock forks, but would consider custom.

It's not that I "hate" unicrown forks, it's just that for this bike, I'd prefer not. If metal - a sloped, subtle lugged fork is more like it.

Regarding "new old stock" or used forks, I am happy to pay more for some peace of mind and an existing company to back their product both quality-wise and legally. A good used steel fork would probably be the only used fork I'd consider.

I'm not really interested in a threadless set up for this bike.
Old 02-04-21, 07:28 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
A quick search found a couple of options here........... https://www.retro-gression.com/collections/forks

Likes For r0ckh0und:
Old 02-04-21, 07:33 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
The best place for your needs, not fully knowing them is the back of an old bike shop, your local bike coop, or ebay. If you are patient a nice one will show up. The problem with threaded 1" steerers is that they all varied in size, so you could find one used in your size or greater to make it happen, but you'll need someone who knows how to cut it properly.
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 02-04-21, 08:03 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,683 Times in 2,609 Posts
Soma sells one: https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/pro...2&category=975
Likes For nlerner:
Old 02-04-21, 09:33 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
A quick search found a couple of options here........... https://www.retro-gression.com/collections/forks
Thanks. I have actually been to that retrogression site, probably with a similar general search. I think I looked and didn't see anything available in the size I need (about 170mm) or they have very small rakes (35- "track" or 41 for the road forks). But looking again, the one they do have in the size I need warrants another look because it looks nice and should be good quality. Also need to give some thought whether a 41 rake would work out. I think the bike was originally built with a 45 or 43.

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
The best place for your needs, not fully knowing them is the back of an old bike shop, your local bike coop, or ebay. If you are patient a nice one will show up. The problem with threaded 1" steerers is that they all varied in size, so you could find one used in your size or greater to make it happen, but you'll need someone who knows how to cut it properly.
Yea, unfortunately, we don't have any bike shops like that around here and no co-op. The thing about ebay is that I have done it quite a bit (bought sold several frames, complete bikes and a bunch of components. And you're right, time and patience usually works, but the specs, especially for forks, are often uncertain. Often you have to ask to even get the steer tube and thread lengths, let alone other features. But I plan to check it regularly (I have a couple of canned searches) unless and until I find a new one I like. think I'd rather, for this fork, just find something new and short cut the process. I don't mind paying a premium to just get it done, find something that is unused, and also to know exactly what I'm getting.

Originally Posted by nlerner
Thanks. I have looked there recently and didn't see anything for a straight on road bike with rim brakes.

Last edited by Camilo; 02-04-21 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-04-21, 10:19 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
This just sees like a job for a custom frame builder. He/she could figure out the exact measurements required by finding out the dimensions of your frame. Those dimensions also include what length of blades puts the brake shoes in the same place in the slots as they are in the rear. And while it is possible the original fork had 43/45mm of rake it is just as possible it had more. And of course then you can choose the kind of fork crown that will match the frame. Fork blades come in different wall thicknesses and replacement forks tend toward the too heavy side as a safety feature. And then there is the question of whether you want one, two or no eyelets.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 02-05-21, 01:51 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Jeff Lyon says he’ll will build a fork for $285. Not sure what parameters are associated with them, but BQ liked his L’Avecaise.

https://www.lyonsport.com/frames-0
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 02-05-21, 02:46 AM
th0m

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
BLB makes some quite affordable threaded chromed steel forks.
https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/forks
Likes For th0m:
Old 02-05-21, 02:50 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 2,124 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
This just sees like a job for a custom frame builder. He/she could figure out the exact measurements required by finding out the dimensions of your frame. Those dimensions also include what length of blades puts the brake shoes in the same place in the slots as they are in the rear. And while it is possible the original fork had 43/45mm of rake it is just as possible it had more. And of course then you can choose the kind of fork crown that will match the frame. Fork blades come in different wall thicknesses and replacement forks tend toward the too heavy side as a safety feature. And then there is the question of whether you want one, two or no eyelets.
Doug, Is there anything like a registry of independent frame builders? I like the idea of supporting a local frame builder. My general impression (I know, not good to generalize...) is that many of the best frame builders are backlogged and may not be willing to take on a one-off fork when other full builds are in the queue. If I was in need, I'd be happy to throw some business to one of former your pupils, too.

Another thing I've wondered is how you might go about matching a fork to a frame that is sold without a fork. I've always been reluctant to buy a frame sans fork because I assume it may have been crashed, but also because I'm not sure how a non-original fork might affect the ride. Any thoughts or guidance?
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 02-05-21, 07:46 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
https://waterfordbikes.com/waterford-built-forks/

I've since changed my plans but I was going here to get a nice fork for my Waterford built Milwaukee Road.
Old 02-05-21, 08:40 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
The stainless steel fork for a mere $12 really caught my eye.

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 02-06-21, 02:30 AM
Camilo

Thanks for the pointers and thoughts on having a fork made. I'll check that out.

​​​​​​The Wound Up option had piqued my interest quite a bit too.
Old 02-06-21, 11:40 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
How long of a steerer do you need?
Old 02-06-21, 12:43 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Thanks for the pointers and thoughts on having a fork made. I'll check that out.

​​​​​​The Wound Up option had piqued my interest quite a bit too.
What part of the country are you in? From discussion above, the builder would want to have the frame to measure before making the fork.
Old 02-06-21, 11:15 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by tgot
the builder would want to have the frame to measure before making the fork.
Nah. It's not an exact science. You can always make it longer and thread it longer and let the user cut it down. Or leave it long and use spacers.
Old 02-10-21, 07:27 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by clubman
How long of a steerer do you need?
Steer tube + headset = 164mm, so a little less than that minimum, with a maximum of about 180 or so of total length (using spacers... I use a tall stem and it would just mean less above the head set). I'm not afraid to cut the top off to get within that range and dress the threads, but only if it would leave about 25mm of threads remaining and no more than 150mm of untreaded below the threads to allow the upper race to thread down far enough. I've worked with threaded forks and headsets enough to be comfortable with those measurements, but plan to play around with the fork off my other bike (similar dimensions) to double check. Heck, I don't have anything better to do!

Originally Posted by tgot
What part of the country are you in? From discussion above, the builder would want to have the frame to measure before making the fork.
Good point. If I go that route (but probably won't), I'm sure I could provide enough information.
Old 02-10-21, 07:40 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
Doug, Is there anything like a registry of independent frame builders? I like the idea of supporting a local frame builder. My general impression (I know, not good to generalize...) is that many of the best frame builders are backlogged and may not be willing to take on a one-off fork when other full builds are in the queue. If I was in need, I'd be happy to throw some business to one of former your pupils, too.

Another thing I've wondered is how you might go about matching a fork to a frame that is sold without a fork. I've always been reluctant to buy a frame sans fork because I assume it may have been crashed, but also because I'm not sure how a non-original fork might affect the ride. Any thoughts or guidance?
It's not 100% complete nor is it 100% up to date, but there's this thread over on the Paceline forums: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=113817
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 02-10-21, 07:58 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I'd go Chipotle with a pinch of orange zest. Mmmm-mmm.
Old 02-11-21, 12:29 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
just as a matter of fact, even if you were interested in a unicrown fork it will have a taller axle to crown height than that of a classic lugged crown. so, using a uni would throw the front end geometry off a good amount if your frame doesn't originally have one