Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Paramount build

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Paramount build

Old 02-28-21, 06:08 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,835 Times in 1,109 Posts
Paramount build

I finally got to work on the Paramount frame that Francophile said I could keep after it followed me home from the beauty shop. It has had a fresh coat of powder-coat in a baby blue color with some sparkle in it, and I have begun to make it into a bike again.
here are a few pics of the first steps:

I went through the process of cleaning all of the threads including the small bits like the adjuster bolts on the rear drop outs. Same treatment for all of the frame add-ons like the bottle bosses and the bottom bracket. The steering tube needed some work for the threads on the head set and I pressed in the headset parts. After the cleaning of the threads on the shift lever bosses and removing the PC from the bosses I mounted the shift levers. It is nice to get to this point. Tomorrow I will add the BB parts and crank arms. The derailleurs will be next. Decision for wheels is still in the air, tubulars or clinchers? Smiles, MH
Old 02-28-21, 07:29 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Looking very, very sharp. Opaque Blue for a 1990's-era Paramount? Me likey.

-Kurt

Old 02-28-21, 08:24 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
MH,
I agree with Kurt, one of my favorite colors along with mint green....going Campy with the "boat anchor"??
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 02-28-21, 09:47 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 255 Posts
What are you building it with? What group?

JJ
Old 03-01-21, 04:44 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
here are a few pics of the first steps:

I went through the process of cleaning all of the threads....... MH
Very nice. Thanks. But you are the master. I have that tap too and could never use it with a tap handle that large! Maybe cuz I'm a sparky vs a real engineer, but I use about the smallest wrench I can find (an old Utica 4" adjustable from my Dad) tucked between my thumb and forefinger or no way I can feel the threads and howz it go'n.

But, gee, I can solder and test diodes and recite ohms law n stuff.

Please keep the photos and news coming.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 03-01-21, 05:24 PM
Mad Honk 

Ok Folks,
My day job got in the way of this build today. The weather got a bit better and the golfers are coming out of the woodwork, and today was no different. One PGA pro and one hacker, but they are paying the bike bills so I did the day job today. I have located the drop out adjuster screws in Stainless steel and will put the other parts on tonight. Pics coming soon. Honk

Last edited by Mad Honk; 03-02-21 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-01-21, 06:40 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Looking very, very sharp. Opaque Blue for a 1990's-era Paramount? Me likey.

-Kurt
1990s or is it from the 1980s? I can't tell. What year is it, Mad Honk?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 03-01-21, 07:38 PM
Mad Honk 

Pastor Bob,
It is a 51st anniversary model (1989), but the only decal set was for the 50th and it was the same set for both years. And Kurt doesn't like it enough to trade me that front clip for it! So I got to work on it tonight after the day job. I sourced the Stainless bolts for the drop outs and installed them. I use a waterproof grease for the threads to keep the screws working correctly. a couple of pics:

I source these bolts from Fastenal by the bag of 100. Using two per bike they don't really last that long, but if someone needs a couple they need to PM me.

I use the Dualco grease guns for a lot of this as the needle tips makes applying the grease really effective. Grease is waterproof.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 03-01-21, 07:48 PM
Mad Honk 

Along with the drop outs I was able to get the correct BB put in and add the crank arms. Clearance is about 3/16ths inch on the chain stays for the rings and 1/4 " on the q for the chain stays. Pics of the crank install, I use an electric battery powered impact gun set to a normal torque for crank bolts. I'm kinda lazy about this, but it sure is a lot faster for the work. I use the same for disassembly, I am not a fan of a lot of hard work.

Me being lazy and using an impact gun for the install.

Same for the non-drive side less than a minute to complete the job.
Old 03-01-21, 08:08 PM
Mad Honk 

And lastly I added the front and rear derailleurs for this one. Here are the pictures of those installed. Again all threads were covered in waterproof grease to prevent damage and make repairs easier. All of the parts installed so far have gone through a complete refurbishing and addition of newer parts that will be rider friendly, like the sealed bearing jockey pulleys.

refurbished rear derailleur with new sealed bearing jockey pulleys, and the new drop out adjusters

Front derailleur and installed crank arm. Clearance of the derailleur is 1/8" above outer ring.

An aside to Ben; You are correct I did go to the parts stash and it took three bottom brackets to get the Q line right. A lot of the parts like the crank arms were source previously through the 'Bay but they are period correct and will be fine for this rider quality bike.
Still need to figure out the rims and tires. I have GP-4s for tubulars, and black anodized Weinmann LP18 19c rims for clinchers. And it looks like I won't be able to find clinchers in anything less than 25c. If I go the 28* route I have Matrix ISO-C rims and Campy high flange hubs, and I have 18 c Vitoria tires to go on them. The choices.... Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 03-02-21 at 06:09 PM. Reason: sp
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 03-01-21, 08:15 PM
Mad Honk 

Jhabbs,
I have pieced together bits and parts for this thinking about it being a rider and not a museum bike. Mostly super record but generation 1. It will get Cinelli bars and stem. The treatment is still in the air for tape. Smiles, MH
Old 03-01-21, 08:22 PM
xiaoman1 

MH,
Red Jockey wheels will make it go faster.....and if they get out on the Boat Anchor....well you know the rest of the story.
Following the build to see what else you pull out of the archives.
Best, Ben

Old 03-01-21, 11:03 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,005 Times in 984 Posts
The Blair Witch photography style is especially enticing.

More seriously (and constructively...lol), light blue, SR, polished silver, and dark anodized rims are gonna be a HOT combo on that Paramount. Can't wait to see it come to completion! [I find myself saying more and more lately that although I do like a good red, that man, I like a lot of blues and they help make many a beautiful bike. ]
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 03-02-21, 08:02 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Pastor Bob,
It is a 51st anniversary model (1989), but the only decal set was for the 50th and it was the same set for both years. And Kurt doesn't like it enough to trade me that front clip for it!
That reminds me, MH - send me a PM about the front clip. Not sure if you meant sheet metal or the B-body front suspension and rear drums I have, which is the closest thing I have to a "front clip." I wouldn't mind getting it out of the shed.

-Kurt

Old 03-02-21, 05:53 PM
Mad Honk 

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
MH,
Red Jockey wheels will make it go faster.....and if they get out on the Boat Anchor....well you know the rest of the story.
Following the build to see what else you pull out of the archives.
Best, Ben
Ben,
I have always been told that the red ones go faster! Har. MH
Old 03-02-21, 06:02 PM
Mad Honk 

Riddle of Steel,
The Blair Witch treatment seems to be the result of a junk camera that changes it's mind during use. My non-intentional tremors don't help much either. As much as I would like to I can see buying and I-phone to take pictures. In fact the I-stuff has been problematic for me. My wife turned into the War Department when I bought her an I-ron.* Smiles, MH
* everything now goes to the cleaners for pressing etc.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 03-02-21, 06:54 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,005 Times in 984 Posts
Riddle of Steel,
The Blair Witch treatment seems to be the result of a junk camera that changes it's mind during use. My non-intentional tremors don't help much either. As much as I would like to I can see buying and I-phone to take pictures. In fact the I-stuff has been problematic for me. My wife turned into the War Department when I bought her an I-ron.* Smiles, MH
* everything now goes to the cleaners for pressing etc.
No worries, sir. BF has suffered with my crappy camera's photos in my earlier years, and iPhones still hate low light (well, a lot of light situations....). The blur and graininess struggles are very real. And of course it looks good on the phone or camera's small screen, and then troublesome on the computer. We were promised technology would be helpful! My refurb'ed iPhone 8 needs a new camera unit, so that'll have to happen soon. Been using a "spare" iPhone 6 Plus I bought cheap (with a cracked screen...now more cracked?) but never ended up activating (long story, my fault). Tried selling it, and then realized a different kind of weird people (try to) buy phones/techy stuff, and I'd rather deal with bike people. Even cars/car parts, I don't like dealing with those buyers/sellers...and I like cars!

I look forward to really any photo of that Paramount, especially when it's fully built.
Old 05-06-21, 06:59 PM
Mad Honk 

Finally getting back to this build. The spring rush for golf kept me away for a while doing the work that pays the bills. But I have made a decision about the wheels. I found a pair of non damaged MA40's at the co-op that were were built for training bikes for the little five hundred for women. No nicks or rim damage so they have won the rim position for this build. I had to go to the part stash and pick out hubs and they are Record low flange that have been refurbished and are ready for the build. I went to my go to parts source for spokes (Cycles 365) and they tried to scare me into next week when I found that almost all DT spokes were out of stock! I found two boxes of the right size for the rear wheel and I will have to re-calculate for the front wheel and hope to find the right sizes for that build. If I can get clearance for 25c wide tires I will put some Conti Grand Prix 4 tires on the build. If not, it looks like I will have to break into the stash of Vitoria kevlar 19c's. So it will have that look that Riddle of Steel thinks will "pop".
I will put on a set of 64/40 Cinelli bars on a 1A stem. The bar tape treatment will be like I did for the RAAM bikes. One wrap of white foam tape with a mesh of the skiving so it is seamless and then the overwrap with white Benotto for the final outer wrap. The brakes have been reconditioned and the SR will be correct for the build.
I am leaning toward white cables and a white Turbo saddle to complete the look for this build. An interesting aside is that the SR seat post had been Heli-coiled and to repair it to functional I was able to use a stainless hex head bolt. It will not be Campy correct but much more functional. When I can get my junk camera I will post pictures and continue the Blair Witch photos for your entertainment. Ben since I am using the rims from a little five practice bike I think your "Mooch" jersey should be proudly posted in this thread. Smiles, MH
Old 05-07-21, 07:34 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Neat project. That's tight clearance if you can't mount 25c tires.
Old 05-07-21, 07:49 AM
xiaoman1 

Ask and you shall receive Mad Honk
Mooch.

Great Build going on....
Best, Ben
BTW Blair Witch is back on Netflix if you need more inspiration!

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 05-16-21, 07:26 PM
Mad Honk 

Hi Folks!
I am back at this thread finally after a bit of a hold up. Wheel building had to take a back seat this past week when Dawn at Pro Kote Indy called to let me know that my 1884 Trek 670 was finished and ready to be picked up. A four hour tour and my wallet being a bit lighter got the frame back home for it's new journey to an unsuspecting victim on BF.
The week end was held back due to the War Department's insistence that yard work be done concerning flower beds. A trip to the compost place and picked up a yard of compost so she can till the stuff in to her heart's content. So now back to the build and some pictures. I will add photo's when I can get them uploaded to the computer. Smiles, Honk
Old 05-16-21, 08:24 PM
Mad Honk 

Ok,
Getting ready for the wheel build. Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy so likely a good day to stay in a build them up. Here are the parts, and after another session at UBI for spoke lengths, I should be all set. Smiles, MH

Record hubs all cleaned up and ready to go.

Spokes from 365 cycles and there should be enough to do both wheels.

The rims acquired at the local co-op from a bunch of Little Five Hundred training wheels. These things look almost new and will need only a bit of cleaning to do the wheel build.
Old 05-17-21, 07:26 PM
Mad Honk 

Ben and All,
I got side tracked by my accountant this morning to send 1K to the IRS over the past year's income. Which bewilders me as my fiscal means have not changed, but I did the deed and am now a bit lighter in my bank account. So now I have a question for you. Do you want me do an account of the wheel build and turn it into a "How To" mini series in this thread. It should not take a lot of space and will describe my four step process to build a wheel. Let me know... Honk
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 05-18-21, 02:29 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Ben and All,
I got side tracked by my accountant this morning to send 1K to the IRS over the past year's income. Which bewilders me as my fiscal means have not changed, but I did the deed and am now a bit lighter in my bank account. So now I have a question for you. Do you want me do an account of the wheel build and turn it into a "How To" mini series in this thread. It should not take a lot of space and will describe my four step process to build a wheel. Let me know... Honk
I vote yay for the wheel build tutorial, yes plz.
Old 05-18-21, 04:02 AM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 271 Posts
Yes, posting the wheel build would be a nice addition to the thread. More pics and info = more better, and it can be interesting seeing what little tips, tricks and preferences surface.

Looking forward to seeing this come together, a very nice color. Enjoy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.