Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best panniers.

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Best panniers.

Old 03-02-21, 11:41 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,125 Times in 425 Posts
My Ortlieb bags came in today, so far I’m impressed by the quality. Last tour I did in the late 90’s I used Cannondale bags. I’m counting on these being a lot better.
Old 03-02-21, 12:25 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
I have Ortliebs, front and rear, on one bike and I'm pretty satisfied.
The other bike has vintage Bob Beckman's, about 30years old. They are also very satisfactory. If he is still in business, check him out. He has a nifty system of add ons to expand the volume of the panniers. Perhaps too engineered and too spendy for some tastes.
Both sets have exemplary, if entirely different, mounting systems. They are simple, strong and quick to mount and unmount.
I have a set of Beckmans from 1999. Loved them, but someone stole my racks along with the bike they were attached to. That was back in 2010.

I looked into getting replacements several years ago. He was making extremely pricey stuff and would not even give me a ballpark cost estimate, so I gave up on him. Don’t think he’s still in business as his web address no longer functions.

I keep saying I’m going to talk to a local frame builder to see if he can modify my Nitto racks to work with the panniers, but I never get around to it.
Old 03-02-21, 12:49 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Interesting about the low hanging aspect. It has been many years since I have used larger panniers. I got away from them because of heel strike as I used converted mtbs with shorter chainstays than touring bikes.

The thing I worry about with the carradry rear panniers (besides filling them up) is that pocket with the zipper, a potential failure point to me. Really wish it were just a bag like the Ortliebs. How sturdy does it seem to you?

In some ways I would probably use a second set of front bags (4× front bags) more efficiently than a front/rear set, volume wise, but cring a bit at buying two sets of the same bag. If I get the rears I have the whole shebang!
I accessed the rear pockets so rarely that I do not really think about them. All of my previous tours were with Ortlieb rollers, so during the day I was accustomed to never getting anything out of a rear pannier. I do not even remember what I put in those pockets. Since I had a handlebar bag, just about anything I wanted during the day was in the handlebar bag. The zippers are not as smooth as something like a jacket pocket zipper, they are water resistant zippers and those types of zippers are always a bit tougher to pull. I do not think the zippers or pockets would be a major failure point.

My next tour will probably be on my Lynskey, so most likely will use the Ortliebs that hold less than the Carradry. But since my Lynskey is the lightest duty touring bike I have, that bike automatically would get the smaller volume panniers. I am sure I will use those Carradry rear panniers again someday where I need a lot of volume on my Rohloff bike.

Am considering LEJOG in 2022, that probably would be with the Rohloff bike because the S&S couplers simplify going thru an airport, so Carradry might go on that trip.