Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First real NBD w.r.t

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First real NBD w.r.t

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-19, 10:51 PM
Graupel731

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First real NBD w.r.t a road bike - Giant 2019 Defy Adv. 3 or Contend SL 1

Sorry - I hit submit in the middle of creating the title and, though edited, the new edited title doesn’t appear to take. I couldn’t find out how to delete the post either. Title should say: First real NBD w.r.t a road bike - Giant 2019 Defy Adv. 3 or Giant Contend SL 1

I have a few concerns as I plan to upgrade to a new road bike after it has been awhile. My concerns revolve around:

1) How is carbon (lifespan and for its care as it would be my first carbon bike)?

2) does weight matter that much? I’m not sure if the carbon will necessarily be lighter as I couldn’t find any data.

3) how big is the difference between their group sets (105 w/ contend and Tiagra with the defy). Wherein I believe the 105 is the “better” group set.

They are relatively near in price as the LBS is willing to provide a modest deal on the Defy.

[Giant Defy Advanced 3](https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/defy-advanced-3)

[Giant Contend SL 1](https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-sl-1-disc)

Any help is appreciated. This is an upgrade from a steel 2013 Jamis satellite sport. Thanks!

Last edited by Graupel731; 04-14-19 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Lots of typos
Old 04-14-19, 06:52 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 1,833 Posts
The Defy:
This site (https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/...-review-52154/) lists the Defy 1 as “8.78kg (XL, including Garmin mount, two bottle cages, Shimano 105 composite pedals)”

So 19.3 lbs ready to ride for an XL frame …. Pretty darn good but the Adv 3 would be heavier by some small amount. So …. Possibly very little difference in weight.

The CF frame will certainly be a little lighter than aluminum, and Giant tends to have good frames, so … And new Tiagra is supposed to be very, very good. I have the past two gens and I cannot say a bad thing.

As for the durability of CF …. I suppose if you regularly tossed your bike out of the back of a pick-up onto a railroad tie or metal railing …. Otherwise CF will last as long as you need.

The Contend:
I cannot find the weight listed, but I’d bet just under 23 pounds without pedals ….about the same as similar bikes in the class. Pick up the two bikes and see how heavy each feels.

You are correct, 105 is one of the best groupsets on the market in terms of function and value. However, new Tiagra is probably about as good. I am spoiled in that I have two 105 bikes which I ride a lot more than my Tiagra bikes, so I cannot rate fairly … but this is a Tough call.

The Contend can be fitted with a rack—Giant makes a seat-post rack mount. The Defy cannot. If you ever plan to carry baggage …..

The Wheels:
P-R2 wheels:
P-R2 795 F + 1080 R= 1875 Not light wheels but according to Cranik Fury Cycling “improved over the SR2.”

SR2 wheels:
“SR2 disc wheels last night if this helps. Bare wheels + rim tape. Front: 930g, Rear: 1180g “(https://www.******.com/r/cycling/com..._wheel_weight/) 2110grams

Same site also says “850 front 1150 rear.” So for that person, 2 kg.

This site (https://road.cc/content/review/22106...t-contend-sl-1 (a “real” site)) says “At 807g for the front wheel and 1088g for the rear (with rim tapes), the PR-2 wheels aren't light, but those are perfectly respectable numbers for wheels with 23.5mm rims and 24 Sapim Race spokes front and rear.”

So … sturdy but a little heavy for the wheels … but not a huge difference.

You would probably want to drop $300–$500 on wheels in a couple years just to get down towards or below 1600 grams … but maybe not.

No Verdict: at this point you are almost better off choosing by which one’s paint scheme appeals.

I have a pair of “endurance-geometry” bikes, one in Al and One in CF. Both are really enjoyable to ride. The Al bike is a lot more versatile (I wouldn’t hesitate to ride gravel, I use it as my rain bike, I use it for light touring and for groceries …) Both are exceedingly comfortable.

These two bikes tip the scales almost evenly. I would generally go for the lighter bike … and I would generally go for the better (?) groupset. (In this case, the two groups are probably nearly identical in function—I cannot imagine many scenarios except full on high-pace pack riding where one extra cog would make a difference.)

To me, this is a coin flip.