Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Website for copying bike fit to a new build?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-20, 06:02 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts

I'm building up a new gravel bike and I'm wondering if there is a website where you can enter geometry numbers and compare fit side-by-side. I would like to get close to my usual road bike, but the new frame has slightly slacker HT and ST angles (more of an "endurance" road frame). The reach measurements are nearly the same, but the effective TT on the new bike is .5 cm longer. I'd like to be able to visualize my fit on the computer so I can get an initial dail-in on stem length, steerer tube spacers, saddle fore/aft, etc.
Old 11-09-20, 06:08 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
I like Bikegeocalc.com
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 11-09-20, 07:00 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
The actual frame geometry is not important. You need to measure and duplicate the saddle height and setback from the center of the bottom bracket, the reach to the bars from the center of the bottom bracket(or from the saddle, after you have it set in the proper position) and the saddle to bar drop.
Old 11-09-20, 07:04 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Originally Posted by dsaul
The actual frame geometry is not important. You need to measure and duplicate the saddle height and setback from the center of the bottom bracket, the reach to the bars from the center of the bottom bracket(or from the saddle, after you have it set in the proper position) and the saddle to bar drop.
Yes, these are all starting points.
Old 11-09-20, 07:05 PM
keithdunlop

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Thank you! I'll check this out.
Old 11-09-20, 07:12 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
I use stack and reach measurements, because they are easy to easy to measure on the bike. To duplicate fit, I put the bike on the floor with the front wheel against the wall. Measure distance from the floor to BB and floor to handlebar center. Subtract and you have what I call "handlebar stack". Measure from the BB to wall and wall to handlebar center. The difference is what I call "handlebar reach". You can play with different spacer setups, stem reaches, flip stems over, etc. until you get it right.

I do the same thing with the nose of the saddle and come up with what I call "saddle stack" and "saddle reach". Saddle reach is a negative number, but it is still transferable across bikes. The saddle is the easiest to get right, because height and reach are adjustable with the height and rail adjustment. What I like about the stack and reach methods is that they are completely independent of geometry. If you don't want to measure, one rule of thumb to keep in mind is that a single degree of seat tube angle is about one centimeter of setback.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 11-09-20, 07:23 PM
dsaul

Originally Posted by keithdunlop
Yes, these are all starting points.
Those are the only points that matter for fit. I build bicycle frames and those are the only numbers that I need to build a frame to fit someone who is comfortable on their current bike.
Old 11-09-20, 07:33 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by keithdunlop
Thank you! I'll check this out.
Originally Posted by dsaul
This is assuming the Cranks on both bikes are the same length.
Don't ask me how I know

Barry
Old 11-09-20, 07:37 PM
dsaul

Originally Posted by Barry2
This is assuming the Cranks on both bikes are the same length.
Don't ask me how I know

Barry
Yes. An adjustment must be made for any difference in crank arm length.
Old 11-10-20, 08:54 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Just remember that reach can only be compared at the same stack height. Each 10mm of additional stack reduces the reach by about 3mm. If one frame has a shorter stack and needs 20mm of spacer to match another, then subtract 6mm from the reach before comparing to the taller frame. I just bought a new frame with an 18mm shorter stack and 10mm shorter reach. With a 20mm spacer added, the reach is actually 16mm shorter, so it's in between the most common 10mm stem length changes.