Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Roubaix Help!!!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Roubaix Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-20, 11:06 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Roubaix Help!!!

I bought a 2017 Specialized Roubaix Pro frame on ebay. It was a new frame and it came with the three Future Shock springs in a bag. I unscrewed the top off the Future Shock and greased up the yellow spring and put it in. I put the stem on and pushed down on it and I heard a clank noise. I pushed three times and got three clanks. I called the dealer I got the frame from and they said that I should run the bike without a Future Shock spring. He said the springs are just for fine-tuning. I've never heard this before. Can any Specialized Roubaix owners confirm you can run Future Shock without a spring.
Old 12-09-20, 12:44 PM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts

I've never heard of running the FS 1.0 without a top booster spring. Comes fitted from the factory and the fine tuning comes from swapping the medium (black) spring for the firm (yellow) or light (blue) springs
There is also an internal spring that is not easily replaced.. some call it the bottom spring. Check out the video above, it may be helpful.
Old 12-10-20, 09:47 AM
sjh953

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
OP: I have the 2018 Roubaix Sport. When I first got it, it took me a while to pinpoint that the "clanking" noise I was hearing was the FS 1.0 spring you're referring to. I believe that spring is just a "booster" for fine-tuning the dampening of the sealed main spring. I took the spring out, and have been riding sans spring for about 18 months. No issues. And it's quieter. I do, however, ride on level, pretty good roads -- so I'm not really taxing the springs anyway. Actually, I didn't notice much difference ride quality-wise between having the spring, and not. I was mainly after getting rid of the noise.
Old 12-10-20, 11:10 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I took it to my local Specialized dealer and he took the Future Shock apart. Greased it up, tightened everything, put it back in and it stilled clanked. He said it would be replaced under warranty. I asked him what version it would be and he wasn't sure. I'm hoping it's a 2.0, but I would be happy with a working gen 1 version.
Old 12-10-20, 01:15 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojodave
I took it to my local Specialized dealer and he took the Future Shock apart. Greased it up, tightened everything, put it back in and it stilled clanked. He said it would be replaced under warranty. I asked him what version it would be and he wasn't sure. I'm hoping it's a 2.0, but I would be happy with a working gen 1 version.
Chances are they will not upgrade to a 2.0 as it is not officially sanctioned by Specialized. I upgraded mine to 2.0 this year and is a better unit, work with your dealer to see if there is anything they can do. Perhaps pay an upgrade fee, it is defiantly worth it.
Old 12-11-20, 11:30 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Chances are they will not upgrade to a 2.0 as it is not officially sanctioned by Specialized. I upgraded mine to 2.0 this year and is a better unit, work with your dealer to see if there is anything they can do. Perhaps pay an upgrade fee, it is defiantly worth it.
HOW MUCH $$$$ ????

TIA

p.s. -- I have a 2018 Expert
Old 12-11-20, 11:41 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I don't have any clanking from my 2016-2017 Zertz Roubaix, nor the COBL-GOBLR seatpost that came on it. That's all the suspension I need. RIP Zertz.
Old 12-11-20, 12:08 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojodave
I had precisely the same problem with my FS 1.0 bike (Sirrus, not Roubaix, but same mechanism) from new. Dealer tried everything -- 'click/clank' on compression remained. Factory defect in the sealed cartridge (main spring and/or bearings).

Mine was replaced under warranty with FS 2.0 thanks to the efforts of my dealer. Blissful silence; ultra-smooth and sensitive in operation. The new assembly fit into my 1.0 bike seamlessly.

Likes For badger1:
Old 12-11-20, 03:02 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
HOW MUCH $$$$ ????

TIA

p.s. -- I have a 2018 Expert
I was lucky and have a good relationship with my dealer who in turn has a great relationship with Specialized. I got mine as a warranty unit at no charge.
Old 12-16-20, 07:00 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I was lucky and have a good relationship with my dealer who in turn has a great relationship with Specialized. I got mine as a warranty unit at no charge.
Thanks. I will be talking to my dealer about a fix and maybe (hopefully) get a 2.0