Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How To Ride A Bike Forever

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How To Ride A Bike Forever

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-21, 01:12 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
Like @SurferRosa I ride short for trips to the Post Office or the grocery store, but otherwise I don't understand 10 minute rides. If 10 minutes is all you have I guess it makes sense, also if you really don't like riding a bike.
Otherwise a 10 minute ride brings to mind one of the most frustrating family planning techniques.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 01-22-21, 01:27 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I recently received Rivendell's Parts & Accessories Fall-Winter 2000 No. 7 catalog after purchasing it on Ebay. Although not the version I thought it was (I was thinking it was the version with more stories and frames), nevertheless it had a couple interesting stories. And this gem:

For what it's worth, this has been my unspoken approach - with modifications - for the past 50 years. Here's to the next 50

DD
GP needs an editor.
Old 01-22-21, 02:33 PM
acm

Bikes: '84 Centurion Pro Tour 15; '97 Cannondale M900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Excellent advice as always from GP. I've only been into cycling for a few years now but when I was first getting into it I felt very alienated by the GCN crowd (most of the people I know IRL who ride are in this camp). All the heart meters, cadence meters, riding challenges etc. I assumed this was what cycling was because the LBS's were also balls-out into the carbon and lycra world.

Not sure how I found out about Petersen but once I fell headlong into the Blahg and his book I realized that the things I liked about cycling were perfectly acceptable as their own discipline. I don't agree with him on *everything*, naturally. I don't like kickstands, I like my toe clips and straps, and I prefer a pristine bicycle to "beausage." But his approach has allowed me to enjoy cycling more as a result.

Anyway, as a recent convert thank you for posting this, I missed out on a lot of the classic Riv content!
Likes For acm:
Old 01-22-21, 08:37 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
For those of us that either live car-free or just enjoy riding our bike to the grocery, "3. Go short" isn't much of a problem.

Well ... unless it's freezing and wet outside and we're out of coffee.
Seattle.
Out of coffee.
Does not compute.

Last edited by gugie; 01-22-21 at 08:50 PM.
Likes For gugie:
Old 01-23-21, 10:14 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by acm
Excellent advice as always from GP. I've only been into cycling for a few years now but when I was first getting into it I felt very alienated by the GCN crowd (most of the people I know IRL who ride are in this camp). All the heart meters, cadence meters, riding challenges etc. I assumed this was what cycling was because the LBS's were also balls-out into the carbon and lycra world.

Not sure how I found out about Petersen but once I fell headlong into the Blahg and his book I realized that the things I liked about cycling were perfectly acceptable as their own discipline. I don't agree with him on *everything*, naturally. I don't like kickstands, I like my toe clips and straps, and I prefer a pristine bicycle to "beausage." But his approach has allowed me to enjoy cycling more as a result.

Anyway, as a recent convert thank you for posting this, I missed out on a lot of the classic Riv content!
#partypace
You'd like Russ, YouTuber of Path Less Pedaled fame. He's all about not wearing lycra and enjoying the ride.
Likes For Korina:
Old 01-23-21, 11:53 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
Oddly enough, I wouldn't have understood this before I got into randonneuring and a bit of ultracycling. Before that I was a fairly typical semi-competitive recreational rider. After an SR series, particularly 400km and 600km rides that absolutely and permanently shredded my ego, what remained was the love of cycling. Any distance, any speed, any clothing, any bike anywhere. Let's ride.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 01-23-21, 02:44 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked 6,468 Times in 3,200 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Seattle.
Out of coffee.
Not impressed!
fify.

"Inside jokes are just killing this board."
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-23-21, 02:50 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
"Inside jokes are why I come to this board."
fify.
Old 02-02-21, 12:44 AM
tregeagle

Bikes: thorn nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
... my unspoken approach - with modifications - for the past 50 years. Here's to the next 50

DD
Thanks for sharing DD, I up until now I've tried to remain faithful to my one bike but apparently I've been breaking the rules... What a shame 😄, maybe I'll start looking at another bike...
Likes For tregeagle:
Old 02-02-21, 09:46 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
I like rules #5 and #8 the best!
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 02-02-21, 11:24 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
I think 3 and 5 are highly complementary..... imho everyone should have a bike that they can just hop on and ride for local errands (or to just clear the head) I know lot's of people who ride lots of miles, but take their car a mile to pick up a prescription

Likes For squirtdad: