Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Busted rear pulley on mid-80's Centurion

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-04-21, 08:39 PM
elfenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Long story, got a Centurion for $60. Suspect the bike is a bit of a Frankenstein. The rear derailleur was making a terrible noise and decided to attempt to fix it. One of the pulleys is super loose.

It's got a Shimano RD-1051 ( stripped one of the pulley screws ). Looking around on eBay and found the same model derailleur for $30, but they say 7 speed. This bike has 18 speeds, 3x6. Is this the wrong derailleur for this bike? What is the best path to fix this issue? Replace the derailleur with the same? With a different kind? Just the pulleys? Can I get replacement screws for the pulley?

I am new to all this. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-21, 08:49 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 206 Posts
here's a good inexpensive replacement.............................

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Ace...-/352682938461
Old 02-04-21, 09:03 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 20623 Post(s)
Liked 3,676 Times in 2,698 Posts
The major differences you run into in repairing these by swapping out parts is that the upper pulley on a rear derailleur designed for indexing is different from the older ones not designed for indexing. The pulley machine screws are also a little different, because the top one needs to have a llittle float, to allow for the pulley to seek it's own line once it gets under the cog.

Not sure I understand what you now possess, and what you are looking at on e-bay. Slightly busted rear derailleurs for parts are pricey on e-bay, and you can probably do better replacing bothe the screw tha serves as a the pivot, and the pulley, if you can find a bike co-op near you that is open.

I didn't look for a picture of the rear derailleur model you mention. But that's my general impression from having repaired a number of them. 7 or 6 should not make much difference in the rear derailleur. That's dictated by the shifters, mostly.
Old 02-05-21, 08:16 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Bikes: Lots. Just...lots.

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 363 Posts
I have a ton of 105 RD parts. If you want to rebuild it, shoot me an e-mail at rccardr@cox.net with a better explanation of what is actually stripped (bolt? cage?) and I'll mail you the replacement parts.

If repair is beyond your skill set, I'd replace with literally any Shimano 6-7-8-9-10 speed RD: 1055, 5500, 5600, 5700, 6400, 6500, 6600, 6700, 6208- they'll all do a fine job and some are cheaper than others.
Old 02-10-21, 05:10 PM
elfenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks everyone! I opted to contact a local co-op and they sent me out a new derailleur. Hope it works out! Will keep you all posted.
Likes For elfenix: