Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Cannondale Caad 3 R 900

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-21, 08:17 AM
billmckay

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro(2003); 1994 Cannondale R 800

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Cannondale Caad 3 R 900

I used to have a Cannondale caad 3 r800 which was stolen six months ago. I have wanted to replace it but never could find what I was looking for and wound up buying a Lemond Buenos Aires which I really like. I have been told everyone should have at least two bikes, so I kept looking. I ran into this one which is almost a duplicate of my old bike but for the color: same shimano 600 components, mavic wheels, etc. I had tried to buy this a few months ago but owner insisted on a price I would not pay. Price is now lower, I am more willing to pay a bit more since the market for decent used bikes has gone crazy so the question, is it worth the $525 he wants. Says it is in excellent shape, has new cables, components are in exc shape. I am thinking $500.

Some touch up of dings but otherwise pretty nice
Old 02-14-21, 08:53 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Pre-pandemic, even $525 is pushing it, but during a pandemic, you're paying top dollar.

So do you really need that second bike right now, or can you wait for prices to stabilize and supply to increase?
Old 02-14-21, 10:30 AM
billmckay

Does anyone really need a second bike? Obviously no. Problem is I want it. Guess I will sit on it a while and think it over. Given what I assume will be my wife's response, waiting is probably the more sensible course of action.
Old 02-14-21, 10:44 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Gorgeous bike. If "almost a duplicate" includes being the same size as your last one, it's well worth a look. The frame and parts had better be nearly perfect for that price, though. On the other hand, while a bike flipper might balk at paying the asking price, if you're planning to keep your next bike for the next five years or so, what's 50 bucks one way or the other?
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-14-21, 12:31 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
If the bike needs zero work - and I mean literally zero work, it's fully tunes, cables and housings good, tape good, hoods and brake good, chain and tires good, you have confidence the BB/headset/hubs were recently serviced and neither stem nor seat post are frozen, I think $450-550 is a good range, wherein the lower is a great deal for you, and the upper is a great deal for them. At least, that's where a bike like this is liable to sell in my market right now. I'd personally aim for $600 if I were listing and look at settling out for no less than $475.

Likes For francophile:
Old 02-14-21, 02:23 PM
billmckay

Thanks. It is described in really good condition. Bearings greased, new tape, cables, etc. There are some paint chips which are touched up. I bought my old cannondale for $250 but it had been sitting in a garage. After new tires, tubes, cables & a tune, I was into it for more than five hundred. Course, I paid too much for that one also.
Old 02-26-21, 05:52 AM
billmckay

So what happened. We could not reach an agreement on price and it was a distance to pick it up. I kept looking and ran into something else. For the same money I wound up buying this 2003 Specialized Allez Pro. The bike looks like it just came off the show room floor. Not a scratch or chip; you could hardly tell it had been ridden some. It is really a beautiful thing. Took it out for the first real ride yesterday and think my Lemond has some competition.
Likes For billmckay: